Aruba Beach

Thread: Bug Spray/Repellant

The beach at the Tam and the beauty that is the Natural Bridge area.

Bug Spray/Repellant

Happy New Year!

My friends and I just booked our annual friends trip and we decided on Curacao (free daily dives - woohoo!!). I've been reading reviews on TripAdvisor and see that mosquitoes and biting gnats seem to be a big problem in the evenings. We haven't really encountered this on previous trips (I think the wind typically keeps them away, but I guess not in Curacao). Since apparently I'm a sugar cube here at home, I figured I'd take something good on this trip. I was hoping you could recommend the best bug spray you've used while in the Caribbean? I want to make sure I'm adequately prepared.

Thanks in advance,
    Jenn

Punta Cana 6.08 - Riviera Maya 6.09 - Aruba 6.10 - Cozumel 6.11 - Aruba 4.12 - Bahamas 6.12 - Playa del Secreto 6.13 - Aruba 4.14 - Curacao 6.14 - Punta Cana 6.15 - Aruba 6.16 - Aruba 6.17

Aruba since 1979
    OFF with DEET
    or
    OLD WOODSMAN

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=356982
    click above link for some "bug spray" posts/mentions (even though those are topics related to aruba)

I flew through Curaçao and while changing planes for the return to Aruba we had to wait in the transit area. The mosquitoes were circling my legs like little black clouds of smoke. I suggest you get a heavy duty DEET. You will need it. Right now here in Aruba it is rainy season and the bugs are out. A little worse than normal

I would suggest you start taking vitamin B-1 (ASAP) for the mosquitos and bring along a bottle of vanilla extract for the gnats. Mix it with water 50/50 and spray it on.

Aruba since 1979
    greetings to you nomo.....from the land of frigid temps!!!!
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

i have also read about the 50/50 pure vanilla extract/water combo for biting flies. i wonder if it works on mosquitos too?

Quote Originally Posted by nomo20below View Post
    I would suggest you start taking vitamin B-1 (ASAP) for the mosquitos and bring along a bottle of vanilla extract for the gnats. Mix it with water 50/50 and spray it on.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nomo20below View Post
    Interesting. I learn something every day.

We like Bull Frog Mosquito Coast - It's sunscreen and bug repellent all in one and it works really well for us. I usually order it on drugstore.com
    Not sure when, but we will be back