Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Carnival Legend-Cozumel, Belize, Roatan/Honduras, Grand Cayman

Aruba since 1979

Carnival Legend-Cozumel, Belize, Roatan/Honduras, Grand Cayman

Dec 23 - 30 Carnival Legend
    Let me start by saying Paul and I and Kevin had taken NUMEROUS cruises over the years, but none since 1999 or 2000. We had been on Carnival, Holland America, NCL and RCCL and the now defunct Home Lines and Premier.

This cruise we were on the Carnival Legend out of the Port of Tampa. With son, daughter in law and family friend. We had good cabins, All obstructed view (lifeboats) but the french doors did open and our cabin was "between" lifeboats, so we did have a view. (paid for inside cabins, but actually they were not inside)

Carnival did a good job of loading and offloading passengers.
    The ship was spotless, the food was good, "not extraordinary", but good.
    The ship's decor was ornate, attractive and "legend theme".

There was ALWAYS plenty of deck space around the pools (i think there were 3) and there was always space to lounge in shade or sun.

The ports of call (and MY OPINIONS re: the ports) were
    Cozumel.......... good snorkeling, good pricing on kahlua and vanilla extract.
    But, Cozumel is exactly as i remember............poverty, offensive pushers of wares that do not understand the meaning of "no thanks", and pretty dirty streets and downtown.
    my husband and son, went on an all day mayan ruin tour and found it only "fair" and thought it was a waste of $$. Years ago they did a Mayan Ruin tour when we were in Cancun and found that much better!!

Belize City........ first time there, and last time there. Dirty, scary, ship tenders appeared to be unsafe (aka no lifejackets), We got back onboard after spending 20 minutes standing in Belize City wondering if we were going to be murdered.

Isla Roatan....Honduras.......Pretty, Nice Beaches, very commercialized ....and i suspect that the cruise lines have come in and have commercialized the place for the tourists. We did not wander far from the port. Son and daughter in law, did the zip line and the beach.

Grand Cayman.......offensive pushers of wares at the port not accepting "no thanks" as an answer. beautiful turquoise waters as pretty as aruba waters, downtown more "citified" than aruba (yes i am comparing). banks, banks and more banks. we did the stingray city tour and that was pretty cool. it is an area on a sandbar, surrounded by reef, where the fisherman many decades ago used to gut their fish and dump the guts overboard. the rays came to expect this "free meal" daily and congregated in the area. the rays are gentle and docile. about 20 years ago, someone started bringing tourists out there to that area and encouraged hand feeding and it became a tourist attraction. the rays come up to the people and weave around legs like a cat looking for dinner!!! we did enjoy this very touristy activity. i am a fool for gentle docile creatures.

All in all, if we could do it again, we would............if it were the exact itinerary, we'd probably not get off the ship and just vegetate onboard.
    Living in the Tampa area, we have choices on cruises and being a fl. resident there are some discounts available.

Next cruise, i think we'd go with Holland America or better yet a land based vacation on aruba.

Last edited by Andrea J.; 12-30-2012 at 07:37 PM.

I guess if you enjoy cruising and the food is good, it can be an enjoyable vacation. From your description though I wasn't sure if you enjoyed it? I say it's time to book that favorite vacation to Aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    i am not sure i enjoyed it either.
    the reason we stopped cruising back in 1999 or 2000......
    my dad was very ill for 4 yrs. (post polio syndrome and on a vent, and feeding tube and at hospital level of care for those 4 yrs)
    my mom, (had thyroid disease that caused dementia and was in assisted living and then on to a nursing home)
    so cruising was too difficult...i was unable to contact and speak at length to nursing staff AND if i needed to get home in a hurry, being on a cruise did not allow for that.

and....

the damn daily schedule on a cruise.
    too overwhelming for someone like me that has a hard time making a decision.

and....
    seasickness........but i had phenergan prior to leaving on this trip and was NOT seasick.
    but i was TIRED from the medicine. slept most afternoons from 3 - 6 and was in bed every night from 11 - 7 or 8 am. i slept away a good part of the cruise.

i blame Aruba.
    IMO, nothing compares.........NOTHING.
    i like rolling out of bed in aruba and onto a beach.
    i like being able to make a phone call, send or receive a text, go online.
    i like being able to walk on the sidewalks and not be overwhelmed by poverty.
    i like the dining options on aruba.
    i like everything about aruba.

cruising............i can take it or leave it.

if the opportunity presents itself again, i would consider cruising again.
    but if i had my druthers.......aruba wins, hands down.

arubalisa is on a 2 week cruise.
    she LOVES cruising and her take and review i am sure will be very different than mine.

forum member serene56 is an avid cruiser and her take is very different than mine.

we all have our likes/dislikes.

but come this spring when carnival cruise line has $329 specials for fl residents for a 7 day cruise...........well, i might be on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I guess if you enjoy cruising and the food is good, it can be an enjoyable vacation. From your description though I wasn't sure if you enjoyed it? I say it's time to book that favorite vacation to Aruba!

Red face

I know what you mean. I've only cruised once and that was to Bermuda. Unfortunately, I had a medical emergency when my tongue swelled to 4 times it is size and my jaw locked. It felt like my jaw was going to snap. Medical staff was great and I was treated quickly. They shot me up with Valium and everything went back to normal. Have no idea what caused it but was happy all week and I didn't have a single drink the rest of the vacation because i was afraid to!!! At the time I thought I still had a great vacation yet for some reason I've had no desire to cruise again.

Only Aruba for me

Some of the things you cited in your review is exactly why we continue to go to Aruba every other year. In all of our trips I have never felt unsafe or have had anyone try to sell me anything. Friends think we are crazy for not exploring more but if I am going to spend money I want to enjoy each minute. If I went somewhere else and was diaapointed I would be kicking myself for not going to Aruba.

My family did a cruise once. It was Disney's Magic out of Port Canaveral back in 1998 or 99. The kids (11 and 13) had a blast. For me it was okay, but I didn't like the "damn daily schedule" either. I was looking for rest and relaxation and found little of each. Not to mention the time confined to the ship. I think that is one reason I like going to Aruba so much. My schedule, and the freedom to roam if I want, or to lay by the pool or on the beach if I don't. Welcome back Andrea!

Aruba since 1979
    unbelievable
    i wonder what caused it?
    good thing all worked out.

no desire to cruise again.... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I know what you mean. I've only cruised once and that was to Bermuda. Unfortunately, I had a medical emergency when my tongue swelled to 4 times it is size and my jaw locked. It felt like my jaw was going to snap. Medical staff was great and I was treated quickly. They shot me up with Valium and everything went back to normal. Have no idea what caused it but was happy all week and I didn't have a single drink the rest of the vacation because i was afraid to!!! At the time I thought I still had a great vacation yet for some reason I've had no desire to cruise again.

Aruba since 1979
    we were sitting around having breakfast a little while ago, adding up the $$ and although less expensive than aruba including flights, timeshare etc.........and the cruise was significantly less expensive. but we are kicking ourselves a little

Quote Originally Posted by rapp110 View Post
    Some of the things you cited in your review is exactly why we continue to go to Aruba every other year. In all of our trips I have never felt unsafe or have had anyone try to sell me anything. Friends think we are crazy for not exploring more but if I am going to spend money I want to enjoy each minute. If I went somewhere else and was diaapointed I would be kicking myself for not going to Aruba.

Aruba since 1979
    exactly

and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    My family did a cruise once. It was Disney's Magic out of Port Canaveral back in 1998 or 99. The kids (11 and 13) had a blast. For me it was okay, but I didn't like the "damn daily schedule" either. I was looking for rest and relaxation and found little of each. Not to mention the time confined to the ship. I think that is one reason I like going to Aruba so much. My schedule, and the freedom to roam if I want, or to lay by the pool or on the beach if I don't. Welcome back Andrea!

Nice report, I Happen to Love Cruisin, We only do New Ships Going on the Breeze Feb. 2nd, I alwasy tell people its not for everyone. And If you think any of the Islands are as Nice & Safe as Aruba they are Not. I have not found another Island I would want to be on after dark. just my opinion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast