Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which Cell Phone is best to use in Germany and Switzerland?

Aruba since 1979

from ehow.com

DSL Vs. WiFi

By A. Elizabeth Freeman, eHow Contributor

• DSL
      • DSL stands for digital subscriber line. DSL transmits digital dataover copper telephone lines. The most common type of DSL is asymmetric DSL.

DSL Speeds

Asymmetric DSL

• The download speed on a DSL connection is typically much faster than the upload speed, meaning users receive more data than they send. DSL download speeds can reach up to 9Mbit/second while upload speeds top out at 640Kbit/second.

WiFi

• WiFi, or wireless fidelity, refers to a local area network, or LAN, that uses radio waves to send data a short distance, up to 1,000 feet. The term WiFi is a trademark of the WiFi Alliance and is only used to describe wireless networks that meet IEEE 822.11 standards.

DSL and WiFi

• You can have a DSL connection and a WiFi connection at the same time. WiFi can also be used with fiber optic or cable connections. The wireless router is connected to the DSL modem using an Ethernet cable.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/facts_6140018_ds...#ixzz332A1ilJ6

QUOTE=CK1;257465]Amy and Volker63, thanks for the additional info.

I just looked up the one hotel I considered to stay, it says "Free Internet access in your room over DSL".

Is DSL the same as WiFi?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Thanks, Andrea!

Now I'll check if our "Eviant 7" Android Tablet" will work with a DLS connection.

CK1
    With all the searching I came across a link with some good info. At the end of that website more more useful links:

The Internet and Computers in Germany

Going Online in Germany and Europe

http://www.german-way.com/travel-and-tourism/telephone-tips-for-germany/internet-computers-in-germany/

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Amy and Volker63, thanks for the additional info.

I just looked up the one hotel I considered to stay, it says "Free Internet access in your room over DSL".

Is DSL the same as WiFi?

Thanks in advance.
    If you have a tablet or a phone it's not possible to connect to DSL.
    DSL is the transmission standard as explained above. You need a device with a LAN connector.
    For wireless service a WiFi router must be connected to the DSL net.

You should ask the hotel if they have LAN or WLAN available. Lots of hotels have "only" LAN available because it's easier to control the access to the hotels net.
    But you need WLAN for easy use with mobile devices.

CK1
    Thanks, Volker63. That's a great explanation! Now I know what to look for.

CK1
    Just a quick update: I'm back from my visit in Germany and Switzerland, it was wonderful!

The cell phone / tablet options were quite a challenge. But I also learned a lot.

Signing up for International calling with T-Mobile does NOT work, unless someone is already a customer with T-Mobile for at least 90 days! So, this option was out the window in my case.

I ended up buying a Samsung Galaxy cell phone in Basel/Switzerland for 150 Swiss Franc. Unlocked. The European Version.

Which means it will work with European SIM Cards. I got a SIM card from Lebara Mobile through a relative as it requires registration of the this SIM card (name, address in Germany or Switzerland are required). The phone calls to USA and within Germany are very reasonable, 3 cents/min to a landline or mobile in the USA.

This phone will probably not work in the USA. But I will keep it for my next visit in Europe.

We still have our American version Samsung which is locked, unfortunately, with a contract through Tracfone. We will probably keep it as we do not use cell phones to often anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12