Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Cemeteries.....visiting :)

  1. #1
    Senior Member brady bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,733

    Cemeteries.....visiting :)

    Just love visiting old cemetaries and churches. Something about the structure and history amazes me.
    Even when we travel (cruises) we always manage to stop at an old church and cementary.
    Actually going to Savannah next month (kids chose it over Busch Gardens ??)
    And of course we will visit the cemetary and churches..

  2. #2
    Senior Member AUA1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Palm Beach, Eagle Beach, any beach
    Posts
    743
    I didn't know there was such a lure to cemeteries. When we've visited New Orleans in the past, everyone always asks if we did the cemeteries tour. We never had. We do the bar tour.

  3. #3
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,925
    the NO cemeteries are really interesting....the tour and stories are terrific.

    paul and i enjoy taking an hour or so and visiting st anne's cemetery every once in a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    I didn't know there was such a lure to cemeteries. When we've visited New Orleans in the past, everyone always asks if we did the cemeteries tour. We never had. We do the bar tour.

  4. #4
    Senior Member arubabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Posts
    1,202
    I grew up in southern Illinois and we went to several historic sites there when I was in grade school. One of them was the first French fort built in Illinois. It is Fort De Chartres and was built in the early 1700s. One of the things we did there was visit the cemetery and read the names and dates on the tomb stones. Many of the people buried there were born in France in the 1600s and died in Illinois at the fort. It was interesting to read about those people even though most of the writing was in French. From that perspective I can see some interest in visiting them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    3,896
    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    I grew up in southern Illinois and we went to several historic sites there when I was in grade school. One of them was the first French fort built in Illinois. It is Fort De Chartres and was built in the early 1700s. One of the things we did there was visit the cemetery and read the names and dates on the tomb stones. Many of the people buried there were born in France in the 1600s and died in Illinois at the fort. It was interesting to read about those people even though most of the writing was in French. From that perspective I can see some interest in visiting them.

    "As you are now so once was I. As I am now so you must be. Prepare for death and follow me."


    This is from more than one grave stone that I've seen in and and around Plymouth Massachusetts. Lots of old stones and burial grounds in SE Massachusetts. I'm gonna have to get off the beach some trip and visit the cemetaries....

  6. #6
    CK1
    CK1 is offline
    Senior Member CK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Posts
    2,285
    I was born in a little village in Germany. When I was little it was a family tradition to go every evening to the cemetery to water the flowers on the grave of my grandma and my uncle. It was actually nice going there, remembering our family members who were no longer with us but still being part of our daily lives. It was also a 'social even' as my mom would usually bump into someone who was as well at the cemetery, taking care of their graves. Back then, no one had money to go anywhere, not even to restaurants. So, the cemetery became as well something like a gathering place.

    Up to this day, I find nothing "creepy" about going to a cemetery. In addition, many of the cemeteries are kept very well, like a beautiful park. I also love looking at the tombstones as many are true art, IMO.

    I have also been in some very famous tombs in Egypt. I absolutely loved hearing about their stories and traditions.

    The cemeteries in the Caribbean are again very different. IMO, it reflexes again their traditions, showing their love for colorful buildings.

    Here are a few pics from my recent visit to Germany for those who are interested. And yes, I have been to some cemeteries as well.

    Cemeteries.....visiting  :)-1-img_0460.jpgCemeteries.....visiting  :)-1-img_0462.jpgCemeteries.....visiting  :)-1-img_0465.jpgCemeteries.....visiting  :)-1-img_0466.jpgCemeteries.....visiting  :)-1-img_0467.jpg

  7. #7
    Senior Member hatteras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,083
    Bully took us to a really interesting cemetery by a church. I believe it was St Ann's but I'm not sure. We asked him to take us back there on our last visit so that we could show it to our daughter and her hubby. It is well worth a visit. Their culture is so different from our's.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Deck in the afternoon
    Posts
    3,676
    For me, the colorful cemetaries in Aruba reflect a celebration of life.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ~Amy~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by brady bear View Post
    Just love visiting old cemetaries and churches. Something about the structure and history amazes me.
    Even when we travel (cruises) we always manage to stop at an old church and cementary.
    Actually going to Savannah next month (kids chose it over Busch Gardens ??)
    And of course we will visit the cemetary and churches..
    We were just in Savannah in March. You definitely have to go to Bonaventure Cemetery. It is a truly amazing place - make sure you take a look at some of the sites you want to see beforehand so you know what section they're in - it's a huge place. And if you don't take a tour, read up on some of the stories about the people who are buried there - some are famous, some are interesting, and some are....creepy stories. There's a map at this link: http://www.bonaventurehistorical.org/

    This was our favorite church in Savannah:
    http://visithistoricsavannah.com/sav...-john-baptist/
    Last edited by ~Amy~; 07-31-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018




  10. #10
    Senior Member brady bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,733
    Yes I have made plans to go there
    Also already made reservations for a few tours
    We have been there a few times and still love going

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO