Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Christmas / Holiday Plans?

Aruba since 1979

Christmas / Holiday Plans?

Well, some of us...most of us, will not be in Aruba over the holidays.

What are your plans?

We had our family Christmas a week ago at our son's home in York Beach Maine.
    It was wonderful. Lots of fun, food and love.

Now we are back home in Florida and our Christmas Eve plans include a large italian seafood feast at friend's house.
    My contribution to the food is a broccoli quiche and a crab quiche. Pasta with clam sauce, baked stuff shrimp and lobster is also on the menu.
    YUM

Christmas Day we'll attend Mass and then head to other friend's home for another Christmas feast.
    My contribution to the dinner includes a spiral ham and baked stuffed clams. Turkey and many veggies and pies are also on the menu.

Cookie baking begins today.

We celebrate my sons birthday on Xmas eve, we then have my entire family over for lunch/family presents on Christmas Day. We will be celebrating New Years in Aruba for the 1st time We will dine at either Solanio at the Ritz or Ruinias at the Hyatt- we have reservations at both at the moment. I am unsure of the menu at the Hyatt and Solanio with be off their regular menu I believe.

Be well and enjoy the holidays no mater where you celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Well, some of us...most of us, will not be in Aruba over the holidays.

What are your plans?

We had our family Christmas a week ago at our son's home in York Beach Maine.
    It was wonderful. Lots of fun, food and love.

Now we are back home in Florida and our Christmas Eve plans include a large italian seafood feast at friend's house.
    My contribution to the food is a broccoli quiche and a crab quiche. Pasta with clam sauce, baked stuff shrimp and lobster is also on the menu.
    YUM

Christmas Day we'll attend Mass and then head to other friend's home for another Christmas feast.
    My contribution to the dinner includes a spiral ham and baked stuffed clams. Turkey and many veggies and pies are also on the menu.

Cookie baking begins today.

Andrea, I want to party with you! Crab quiche and stuffies?? OMG! We will be having a small family affair starting with a visit to see my FIL. He has been placed in hospice care and won't be able to join us this year. I wish all of the forum members a happy holiday season, and for those of you in Aruba, make us proud!

We will do a whirlwind tour of the Eastern side of the state of Virginia. Our celebration started today at a lovely catered luncheon for 80 of my husband's relatives at a country club a little over an hour from our house. My husband's great grandparents had 16 children and this was a gathering of that group. Since my father in law had been very ill and unable to attend for many years, our branch of the tree hadn't been in many years. This was my first time going. It was quite an event! My mother in law got to visit with her sister and cousins and I got to meet people I have heard so much about over the years. It was nice and calm and we'll organized.

Next week we will start the chaos that is my family, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Christmas Eve will be dinner with my uncle and grandma. Christmas morning we will go to my brother's and I'm so excited to watch my 2 yr old nephew get spoiled! From there it's on to a gathering with 20- 30 of my mom's immediate family in my grandfather's 1 bedroom apartment..lol. We hosted this one last year but our steps are too much, my grandpa broke his ankle. I decided that once someone leaves in ambulance, I probably should take a year off from hosting, so we will all shuffle in and out of the apartment. Good news is the weather will be great. Next up will be Christmas dinner and partying with my dad and his lake house friends....from the cruise.

The next day is a Redskins fan Christmas get together with our closest friends, who at this point think we have abandoned them.
    Then News Years weekend is Christmas with my husband's immediate family abut 3 hours away. And then finally we wrap up with my extended family Christmas party in mid January.

Whew..I'm already tired! I will be making a ham, dips, appetizers, cookies, and jello shots to take to these various gatherings.

I love it and I can't wait!
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 12-19-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: horrible spelling and grammar!!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    walt.....may god be merciful with your FIL. so sad

we had never been huge foodies, but moving to Florida and being surrounded by italian friends who can cook.... it has turned into a foodathon.
    me, the irish girl, i can do a few specialty things and the crab quiche is at the top of my list.

wishing your family peace and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Andrea, I want to party with you! Crab quiche and stuffies?? OMG! We will be having a small family affair starting with a visit to see my FIL. He has been placed in hospice care and won't be able to join us this year. I wish all of the forum members a happy holiday season, and for those of you in Aruba, make us proud!

Keeping your family in my prayers Walt.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    sounds like a blast. imagine 16 children (holy cow) they didn't have a tv in the bedroom then did they?

ya, once someone leaves in an ambulance means to take a year or 2 off

merry ho ho
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We will do a whirlwind tour of the Eastern side of the state of Virginia. Our celebration started today at a lovely catered luncheon for 80 of my husband's relatives at a country club a little over an hour from our house. My husband's great grandparents had 16 children and this was a gathering of that group. Since my father in law had been very ill and unable to attend for many years, our branch of the tree hadnt been in mamy years. This was my first time going. It was quite an event! My mother in law got to visit with her sister and cousins and I got to meet people I have heard so much about over the years. It was nice and calm and we'll organized.
    Next week we will start the chaos that is my family, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Christmas Eve will be dinner with my uncle and grandma. Christmas morning we will go to my brother's and I'm so excited to watch my 2 yr old nephew get spoiled! From there it's on to a gathering with 20- 30 of my mom's immediate family in my grandfather's 1 bedroom apartment..lol. we hosted this one last year but our steps are too much, my grandpa broke his ankle.and I decided that once someone leaves in ambulance, I probably should take a year off from hosting so we will all shuffle in and out. Good news is the weather will be great. Next up will be Christmas dinner and partying with my dad and his lake house friends....from the cruise.
    The next day is a Redskins fan Christmas get together with our closest friends, who at this point think we have abandoned them.
    Then News Years weekend is Christmas with my husband's immediate family abut 3 hours away. And then finally we wrap up with my extended family ChristMas party in mid January.

Whew..I'm already tired! I will be making a ham, dips, appetizers, cookies, and jello shots to take to these various gatherings.

I love it and I can't wait!

Walt, many prayers going out for your family and FIL.

Low key holidays for us this year. Christmas Eve will just be the 2 of us so I'm making a bunch of appetizers to graze through:
    shrimp cocktail
    crabbies
    sausage and cheese balls
    chipotle meatballs
    deviled eggs
    Boterkoek
    Dutch chocolates
    I like to have a variety just in case someone stops in!

Christmas day is at Tom's niece's house with her family and Tom's sister and her husband. All I need to do is bring a huge cheesecake and shrimp cocktail. It's very relaxed and generally more people stop in for dessert.

New Years Eve isn't our thing but I was thinking maybe going out for a nice lunch somewhere with ocean views. Will probably go to bed at 10:00. May set the alarm for midnight, roll over say Happy New Year and go back to sleep.

Aruba since 1979
    sounds like a plan!!

i think you folks should come here new years eve

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Low key holidays for us this year. Christmas Eve will just be the 2 of us so I'm making a bunch of appetizers to graze through:
    shrimp cocktail
    crabbies
    sausage and cheese balls
    chipotle meatballs
    deviled eggs
    Boterkoek
    Dutch chocolates
    I like to have a variety just in case someone stops in!

Christmas day is at Tom's niece's house with her family and Tom's sister and her husband. All I need to do is bring a huge cheesecake and shrimp cocktail. It's very relaxed and generally more people stop in for dessert.

New Years Eve isn't our thing but I was thinking maybe going out for a nice lunch somewhere with ocean views. Will probably go to bed at 10:00. May set the alarm for midnight, roll over say Happy New Year and go back to sleep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast