Aruba Beach

Thread: Christmas Memories - As A Child

Christmas Memories - As A Child

Starting two threads to celebrate this Christmas Season.

Would you like to share your favorite Christmas memory from when you were a child? Please do that here.

I'll start a second thread for your favoriite Christmas story as an adult.

I will share my stories in a few days.....but just wanted to get this going as we await the arrival of our guests for the day....CindyO's family.
    rob o has left the forum, contact via e-mail at

Aruba since 1979
    Not my favorite Christmas story but a memorable event nonetheless.

Christmas morning..........Dec 25, 1971
    I had just gotten my driver's license.

In my stocking was a "set of car keys"
    OMGosh, a new car? I ran out to look into the driveway. No car other than mom's and dad's.
    Went back into the living room and parent's told me that i now had my own sets of keys for their cars.
    I sulked for the remainder of the day and was an absolute miserable surly and ugly 16 yr old. My mother was crying due to my attitude (selfishness/greed). I ruined Christmas for all.
    Gosh, how could i have been such a jerk!?

2nd Christmas story. I was about 19.
    Mom and Dad gave me a good wad of cash for me to buy new ski gear.
    So on Christmas morning I left the ski stuff scattered about the house with little thank you notes and smiley faces taped onto the skis, boots, poles etc..... (very good intentions on my part)
    Dad (who had polio and walked with crutches, had braces on his legs and a back brace) tripped and fell over my stuff, smashing his face onto the kitchen table along the way down...........breaking 2 teeth and splitting his chin and lip and a cut over his eyebrow. Off to the hospital by ambulance.........stitches and xrays and 4 hrs later he was home and Christmas day resumed.............again Mom cried about the situation, I was stunned and remorseful, Dad was silent and uncomfortable and my now estranged brother was quite upset with me.............God knows why?!?!

Oh ya........Christmas memories with me as a teenager

I never thought i was a bad kid.............just an inconsiderate, ungrateful scatterbrain.

Boy if i had it to do over, would i be a much better teen.

Any Aruba beach...
    Andrea, thanks for sharing. I just passed along what you wrote to my dd. If she learns only 1 small thing from your post, maybe it will help her skip a couple of mistakes in her teen years which she is sure to make.

I have been trying to think of my "best" memory as a child and skipping over a couple of the most fanstastic gifts received, I would have to say Christmas Eve is my best memory.

My Mom was an only child so we had a small family, but my Dad had a sister he was particularly close to who had 3 children and my grandmother had a brother she was close to who had 3 children as well. With assorted Aunts and Uncles and the custom my Mom had and still continues of always inviting those who she knew would be by themselves for the holiday, there were always a minimum of 20 people for dinner that night. Might I add our home was an 1100 sq. ft. Cape Cod. Good thing my grandparents owned a restaurant so meals were heat and serve buffet style, lobster thermindor still being my favorite. Mom was a lousy cook so again we were fortunate.

These night were surely a big deal for a little kid. Under protest, my brother and I were always required to take a "dumb" nap. We were too excited to sleep! The time would finally arrive when my brother and I would excitedly answer the doorbell as each new guest arrived.

We would be up late after a long dinner followed by dessert and coffee for the adults, it was only THEN that we would be able to start opening our gifts. Take enough gifts for 20 or so people opening one by one, which was just the "rule" in order for everyone to see what everyone received, the night dragged on to the wee hours.

My brother and I still awakened early Chirstmas morning to spy what gifts Santa had left under the tree. Looking back now, my poor parents probably were lucky if they were able to get a couple of hours sleep that night after they cleaned up when the guests departed and then entertained Santa while he delivered the gifts under the tree.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I of course have lots of memories of my childhood is just a few...
    As a teen I was a difficult and ungrateful Christmas I had previously found all the gifts in the house that my mom had purchased....yes, I tried them all on, and at the point had decided what I would keep, and what was going back...NOW, if my daughters dare due this to me I would be very upset...
    Next, as a 5 yr. old, and a very bossy one, I told the entire neighborhood that they was no santa...I don't remember how I found out, but I had all the kids in the neighborhood to my house, and showed them thur the basement window all of the gifts my folks had bought. My mom recieved many phone calls from the neighbors....
    Next one, my grandparents would stay over every Christmas and my 3 little brothers and I would wake up at 4 am, go down, wake up my grandparents to open all the gifts "santa" had brought. So, by 4:30 all the gifts were open. I don't know how my grandparents did it, but they were there every year until I could remember.
    Andrea, reading your post on this topic reminds me of what I must have been like as a teen...I hope I can instill in my daughters gratefulness and compassion for others that don't have as much as they do..Looking back i also would be a better, more appreciative teen..
    Lisa, your story of family together is nice.
    Thanks you guys for oxox
    Last edited by cindyo; 12-07-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Palm Beach March 2016
    Aruba May & June 2016
    Aruba Dec 2016 NYE

Andrea...I love your stories. Oh my God...the car keys one is funny (now, anyway)...the second weren't really to blame...I think it was just your reputation from the car keys year! your's too. sounds like some great memories.

CindyO....I know yours is oh so true! I think the neighbors have forgiven you by now.

I was the youngest in a family of 6, the others ranged from 5 to 11 years older than me. As a result, I was the last to really get excited about “Santa” coming.

We were financially poor, but rich in the ways that really matter; living in the middle of a “three-decker” with my paternal grandfather, aunt and cousin on the first floor and with my maternal grandmother, aunt and uncle on the third. Christmas Eve dinner was always downstairs and dinner Christmas Day was upstairs.

When I was 6, I never had a bike of my own, I always had a “hand me down”. I really wanted a new bike. I remember so vividly early that Christmas morn (probably more like 2 AM), my brother (whom I slept with in what was meant to be a dining room) woke me up to say that “Santa “ came and he brought my bike. I got up and the room was full of presents, but I couldn’t see a bike. I was too tired to be disappointed so I went back to sleep.

A few hours later we got up and woke my parents (well, probably not….my dad was an early riser and I now realize he was probably awake just waiting for us to get up). After some coaxing, my parents got up….but we had to wait for Dad to put film in the camera (which is another thing I now know wasn’t true because Dad did everything on time and making us wait every year for him to load the film was just to make us wait to open presents). After the film was loaded, we went to the tree and there it was….my bike. Picture my dad holding that bike up with me on it. I don’t know how many miles I put on it…indoors…with a patient dad holding it up and keeping me from ruining the house.

Somehow, it seemed like I always got what I wanted on Christmas Day….I’m not certain how “Santa” did it.

Ren Island
    I was the master at lifting the scotch tape on the gifts so I could see what it was. You couldn't tell that I looked. I couldn't wait to see what it was, not knowing what the gifts were killed me.

Also remember my parents winning a contest for best decorated house for a few years in a row.

And of course the best was catching my parents putting Santa's gifts under the tree. Luckily I was 23 years old. only kidding.