Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Christmas Plans, traditions, meals?

Aruba since 1979

Christmas Plans, traditions, meals?

What do you have planned for Christmas Eve and Day?

Our son, daughter inlaw and grandchild are coming tomorrow for a week!

We'll go to the early Mass and then Chinese food dinner here on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day dinner will be late in the day with friends Sherry/Murray (SherryF former moderator of another Aruba forum), friends from Belleair Beach, along with Kevin and family. Ham, lasagna, meatballs, sausages, and roasted veggies are on the menu.

Hopefully our weather will be warm and dry.

Currently humid and grey.

Maybe when we win the lottery ( ) we can do next Christmas in Aruba.

What are your plans?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Christmas Eve the kids come here with their respective other halfs, I just make pasta and then they open their presents. Then christmas day they come with us to my sister in law's house with my in laws. then saturday I see my brother and sister in law.

And Andrea, I just bought 10 cash for life lottery tickets. I'm with you. I would rather go to Aruba in the fall and stay til spring. I can not believe we have been home a week already. the good news is we have 48 weeks to go, lol.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone!!

Christmas Eve is at my brother's home with my parents & his in-laws - very quiet

Christmas morning I host breakfast & gift opening with the same people - my parents, brother & SIL and our family's newest addition, my niece. I do a few different breakfast casseroles and bagels - all stuff that can be prepped the day before & just thrown in the oven in the morning and send the hubby out to pick up the bagels.

Christmas afternoon is the big gathering of all the cousins & aunts & uncles at my aunt's home. We all bring an appetizer and just pick & drink & play games & spend precious family time together. I love it!

I'm so excited. My youngest is thrilled to be giving gifts this year. His excitement the last few days has been all about giving, not what he's anticipating getting and I'm loving it!

Hope everyone enjoys an awesome holiday
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Christmas Eve is quiet time, just the 2 of us. I set out the china and we graze; calzones, shrimp, deviled eggs, potato salad, crabbies and hot milk cake with mocha frosting for dessert. We open one present and watch a movie

Christmas day we're off to Tom's niece's house where the whole family meets up. His niece will cook a prime rib and everyone brings something. My assignment; shrimp cocktail and a cheesecake. The younger ones open their presents and then we play left, right center.

Aruba since 1979
    OMG i love LEFT RIGHT CENTER
    we have a group here in our community that play.

started with nickels 2x a week.
    then went to quarters.

a few nights ago we could not go but they played for dollars.

we played it at overnight camp many many yrs ago for.......cigarettes and candy.
    imagine that!

Aruba since 1979
    Peg.......you and especially Tom received the BEST PRESENT this year............LIFE.
    Enjoy and God bless.

Aruba since 1979
    You have taught your children well.
    I am proud to call you a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Christmas Eve is at my brother's home with my parents & his in-laws - very quiet

Christmas morning I host breakfast & gift opening with the same people - my parents, brother & SIL and our family's newest addition, my niece. I do a few different breakfast casseroles and bagels - all stuff that can be prepped the day before & just thrown in the oven in the morning and send the hubby out to pick up the bagels.

Christmas afternoon is the big gathering of all the cousins & aunts & uncles at my aunt's home. We all bring an appetizer and just pick & drink & play games & spend precious family time together. I love it!

I'm so excited. My youngest is thrilled to be giving gifts this year. His excitement the last few days has been all about giving, not what he's anticipating getting and I'm loving it!

Hope everyone enjoys an awesome holiday

Andrea, we play with one dollar bills. The kids just love it. It seems as those the youngest one almost always wins and she's a gloater. It's really funny. We laugh a lot!!

This Christmas is so far removed from last. Tom has very little memory of last Christmas. As you said, we got the best gift of all!!!!

We play left right center too! We play for dollars. My grandma on my dad's side gives everyone a Christmas card with three $1 bills in our card. The first year she did this, everyone just kind of laughed and said thanks, thinking she was giving this to us as a gift. Then she broke out the dice and its been a family tradition ever since! This gathering is more of an extended family group, and won't be until the weekend after Christmas, but it's always a fun time! It's crazy to me that Andrea and Peg play too, it's like we are kindred spirits!

Since we were little, my brother and I always had Christmas Eve with our dad and his family, and Christmas day with mom and her family, even before our parents divorced. My brother has decided he wants to keep that tradition with my nephew. He's almost 9 months old. So Christmas Eve it will be Jon & I, brother & his fiance & son, and my dad. Dad's wife is away visiting her daughter and our Mom is away with her significant other enjoying a break in the mountains. I think we are having Boston Market or something similar, but it will be carryout at my brother's so we don't get the baby off of his schedule and the guys are all working that day.

Christmas morning we usually go to my uncle's house and he puts on an amazing breakfast spread. We are going to miss it this year because we are hosting my mom's family.I'm a little sad about that, he makes the best breakfast! That means 20-25 of my closest aunts, uncles, and cousins will be gathering around my not so big house. We have an open floor plan on our main level though, so we were the best choice. This is our first year since my maternal grandmother passed away and my grandpa moved into an apartment. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have my lists and people are bringing sides and desserts so that helps. I am making my biggest turkey yet, and ham. I have mapped it all out for timing and what is getting cooked where and when. At this get together everyone brings gifts for the little kids and an envelope with $5 in scratch off lottery tickets. We each draw an envelope and scratch away. We haven't had any big winners, but maybe this is our year!

My husbands family get together will also be the weekend after Christmas - it's a 3 hour drive each way and we all do it as a day trip. My mother-in-law is an amazing cook - it's worth the long day in the car to taste her cooking! We all go early and have lunch. We do a $20 gift exchange game. It's always hard to find something that an 18 year old boy and a 50 year old woman will both enjoy, but it's fun.

It's going to be a busy week, but lots of quality family fun time! And great memories!

Happy holidays!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Aruba since 1979
    I am enjoying reading about RLC.
    I am instructing my Christmas dinner guests to bring $1 (many)

We all have our own traditions and it is fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast