Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree331Likes

Thread: couple in legal battle to keep dog they say was rescued in Aruba

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    If it is their dog (I'm leaning to what Cindyo thinks) but if it is their dog and they are of the frame of mind "all americans have money" then I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they make an offer to this american couple ="oh, you can keep the dog but compensate us for it for the sum of X amount of money". Wouldn't surprise me at all. Look, if you don't look for your dog for two weeks, you don't deserve it. when the stray cats I feed (though I've named them, lol), aren't here for more than 3 days, I get in my car and go look to make sure they are not dead in the street. If it was my own dog, forget it. I'd be out until I found it. And besides, what are they going to do? If the couple doesn't bring the dog back, they are going to have to come to the USA. so who cares, KEEP THE DOG!!!

Search
    Categories

Help

Help
    Start a Fundraiser Here is some more info on this from the gofundme page....

MedicalVolunteerEmergenciesEducationMemorialsSportsAnimalsBusinessCharityCommunity
    CompetitionsCreativeEventsFaithFamilyNational NewsNewlywedsOtherTravelWishes

Help keep my dog Coco home

NORTH ATTLEBORO... ANIMALS
    $1,285 of $10k

Raised by 39 people in 3 days
    Donate NowShare on Facebook

TOTAL
    SHARES

Created March 14, 2015
    Lisa-Marie Kehoe O'Connell

UPDATE #2 30 MINS AGO

Dear Everyone, Thank you so much for your support. A very important piece of information has not been included in any of the media attention:

The alleged owner waited TWO WEEKS before she began looking for Coco. Her first Facebook post states the dog has not been seen in two weeks. Who waits two weeks before looking for a dog on an island with a kill shelter? Who waits two weeks period? Subscribe to Updates Show All

UPDATE #1 14 HOURS AGO

Coco will be on the 5 pm news on Channel 4 in Boston and also Channel 10 in RI. Subscribe to Updates

Keeping Coco home:

Dear Readers:

In late October of 2014, I was on vacation in Aruba when I found a stray dog on the beach at the resort where I was staying. The first day I found Coco I was unable to get her to a vet as it was a Sunday and no vets were open. She was loaded with blood engorged ticks which I took many of them off of her. With a very heavy heart I was forced to leave her on the beach. I found her again on Tuesday laying in the sand at the resort. Once again, she had blood engorged ticks all over her even in her ears. Coco appeared to be in distress and was hungry, thirsty and had several large scars on her tiny body. The dog needed veteranian care. The hotel helped us locate a pet courier who transported Coco to a local vet. Coco had no collar on and was not micro-chipped. The vet did determine that Coco was well enough to travel back to the United States if we wanted to adopt her. A vet must issue a pet passport which confirms the pet in question is healthy enough to travel. I made arrangements with a animal welfare rescue, ARF, whom coordinated a flight for Coco to go on along with a flyer who would be responsible for her. We also checked Aruba Lost and Found to make sure she was not a lost pet. Nothing was found so after several days, Coco was brought from the vet to the airport and began her journey to her new home in the US. Coco has settled in so nicely with me and my family and her doggy sister, Maisy, whom I rescued from the Grand Bahama Humane Society back in September of 2012.

Shortly after returning home it was brought to my attention that a woman in Aruba was looking for a lost dog. The dog appeared to be my Coco. The woman, who had been out of the Country and is thought to be a resident of Switzerland, said no one had seen the dog for two weeks. She also stated the dog frequently walked the beach area which is nearby to where I found her. In addition, this woman stated the dog had been in a "heavy" car accident in May of 2014.

ARF was eventually contacted by this woman and she explained to them and the local Aruba animal shelter that she thought a mean neighbor brought the dog to a kill shelter and she was glad the dog was safe in the US. She asked to be put in contact with me to inform me of the injuries the dog endured after being hit by a car in May. I contacted this woman through email to let her know Coco was safe and would be loved and taken care of the rest of her life. The woman immediately said she wanted "her" dog back and has infiltrated my life since then. She sent the police to my house. She sent out invites to people on my friends list on FB to like a page dedicated to the dog with disparaging comments about me.

About 8000 dogs are killed each year on the tiny island of Aruba. There is a large stray problem and by Aruba ordinance unidentifiable dogs brought to the animal shelter can be euthanized immediately. If a dog is unclaimed for three days, it can be adopted to avoid being killed. I could not let Coco suffer such a fate.

This woman who is claiming she owned the dog has sued me in District Court in Massachusetts. We retained an attorney and filed a motion to dismiss based on jurisdiction but unfortunately and surprisingly our motion was denied. I am now facing a trial and I am simply asking for help in defraying legal expenses. Please consider a $5 or $10 donation. Every little bit will help. I'm already about $4000 into this on my own but need assistance to properly refute this woman's claim.

I followed every procedure in Aruba to legally adopt this dog. The dog was determined to be a stray as she was found wandering on public property with no identifaction. The alleged owner, whom claims she shares ownership with an Aruban resident, did not even begin to look for this dog for two weeks after the dog not being seen. Please help me keep Coco home with me. She is so happy here and thriving well. If there are any unused funds, they would be turned over to the animal shelter in Aruba or ARF.
    Thanks!
    TOTAL
    SHARES

COPY, PASTE & SHARE: http://www.gofundme.com/lisacoco

What is GoFundMe?Fundraising made easy >> CONTACT LINK POSTER REPORT 3 COMMENTS
    Thanks! Your comment has been posted.
    Your comment has been removed.
    Please use Facebook to leave a comment below: Nothing gets posted to your wall. Only your Facebook name & photo are used.
    Last edited by hvy747; 03-18-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Wow. I really hope this works out in the best interest of the pup.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    if this was Judge Judy, the previous owners would not get the dog back. I'm sorry, but I'd hire lawyers who can prolong the case (believe me, they can be experts at that) and drive the woman's legal bills (woman in aruba), so high she drops the case. Why doesn't the woman here go to the humane society? I am sure they would get a lawyer to try this pro bono. I use to work for a judge years ago who was a pro bono lawyer for the humane society.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I made a donation and posted this on my facebook page. It would be horrible to send this dog back to Aruba. She would probably be back wandering the streets again in no time.
    Last edited by hatteras; 03-18-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    HVY pls shrink the lrge photo of coco to thumbnail

there are many good and kind caring folks out there..it's all about the animals..........

Hmmm. I'm reading the FaceBook page the Aruba owner set up. She does seem to be trying anything to get the dog back. Not really the actions of a negligent owner. If it was just a money grab, she probably wouldn't be so public about the whole thing.

Not sure this is as straightforward as I originally thought.

I'm going to bet it'll come down to what shape the dog was in when the vet originally treated him. If he was malnourished and dehydrated, it'll be pretty much a slam dunk. I don't know if just having ticks will win the day as most dogs get ticks in the Caribbean.

I haven't seen any mention of the new Aruba dog laws being enforced yet - the dog was roaming free on a public beach, untagged, no collar. Does anybody know if that angle has been covered yet?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Here's another angle on this scenario ...

Is the woman a resident of Aruba or Switzerland? This could lay heavily on her ability to sue a US citizen I believe. It's either Swiss law or Aruba law. Aruba law will not cover a non citizen here.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast