Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree331Likes

Thread: couple in legal battle to keep dog they say was rescued in Aruba

But the dog is "co-owned" by an Aruba resident
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Hmmmmm
    co-owned?
    then why the H wasn't the co-owner watching said dog?
    notice co-owner hasn't spoken up
    how can a non resident of Aruba sue someone under Aruba law when they aren't citizens?

this story gets better by the minute.

hey Lady, drop it while you are ahead. Co owner lets here your story.....

Aruba since 1979
    however this plays out, it will cause great concern for the folks involved with the rescue groups (Animal Relief Foundation, Animal Right Aruba and others) getting the adult dogs adopted and situated in a new area.
    my guess is that new guidelines are being established by these groups along with the local veterinarians so that a reasonable "waiting period" is established.

to bring a smile to this very sad thread..............many years ago my grandmother found a blue parakeet on an arbor vitae bush in her yard at the cape (south yarmouth) she captured the bird in a dish towel, brought him (or her) into the house, put it in a shoe box. she then went to woolworths bought a cage and all of the paraphernalia that goes with it. she name it "blue boy" well blue boy apparently flew away from its real home a few blocks away and was sorely missed.
    the original owners put up signs and knocked on doors looking for their bird. well, they knocked on my grandmom's door and she politely told them (and i paraphrase), "yes i have the bird, and you were so careless with him that he flew away. he now lives here." then she shut the door. these folks were livid and wrote a letter, tried to reason with her and even had a local attorrney write a letter. blue boy never was recovered by it's original owners and lived its life quite happily in its cage for many years in my grandmother's house.

The more I read about this unfortunate situation, the more I feel the dog should be returned back to its rightful owner in Aruba. There is always three sides to every story, but based upon the information released up until this point, I am leaning toward returning the dog back to Aruba.

I truly believe that Ms. O'Connel has a heart of gold and had the best intentions in the world by rescuing this dog but it seems a mistake has been made and the dog (Coco), should be returned back to her owner in Aruba.

According to the owner's posts on Facebook (she is posting several times per day), she has been attempting to get her dog returned back to Aruba since she found out her dog was taken to the U.S. She states she wants no money and is willing to pay all expenses to send her dog back to her. If you look at the photos on the owner's Facebook page, this dog came from a very happy family. The photos show the dog swimming in the owner's pool; riding in the back of their truck with two other dogs; playing on the beach, etc.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I agree, there are three sides. There's the USA owner's story, the Aruba owner's story and then the truth. I just don't understand how if your dog was hit by a car and suffered injuries, how you and/or your Aruban co-owner can still let it run free with no tags. Also, if it had these tick bites that got to bleeding, then this dog didn't just run out the door when you opened it, it's been out in the streets for a while. I'm sorry but this person sounds animal irresponsible. No way they deserve this dog.

Court system in US so overloaded and they decide to take a case like this? I don't know if it is Federal Court or State of Mass court, doesn't matter. Shame on the judge (I'll never understand judges except to say that they are all politically appointed lawyers so, you decide). I can just imagine hard working citizens being forced into jury duty for this. Hey boss, I have to take a couple of days off (likely unpaid) to listen to this Aruba dog case?

My tax dollars at work.......God Bless America!
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Oh, Cindyo, I was a court reporter in NJ for 26 years. We had cases where they paid their lawyers $200 an hour to argue who was going to pay the $50 moving bill for a refrigerator. And the judge then splits the bill, lol.

Anyone can file a case. Once it gets through the court system, the judges then can dismiss it as frivolous but they can't prevent someone from filing unless the person is a habitual litigator, which we've had and judges banned them from filing without a Court Overseer to decide if the case was legit. I doubt this case would be dismissed as in my opinion though I don't think the Aruban woman would win, it is still not a frivolous case.

This would not be in federal court. probably county court. Believe me, if they had to do a jury trial, it would end up costing about $20,000 or more for lawyers fees because jury trials are a long process from starting the case to motions to adjournments (of which there are many), to setting a date and picking a jury. I want to see who cries "uncle" first. I'm guessing the woman in Aruba will.

And what I don't get is if this woman is willing to spend all this money for lawyers and flying to America for a court date (which she will have to), why didn't she just buy a collar and put up a fence after the dog was hit by a car? or get a dog sitter for the dog while she was away for a few days? obviously the so called "aruban co-owner" was useless, if there is even one.
    Last edited by gaby; 03-19-2015 at 05:54 AM.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Gaby
    great info thanks
    i will watch this whole thing role out closely
    the woman lives in the next town over
    yes, collar, co-owner, flying to US and costs etc don't add up
    you think she's looking for a payoff?

it doesn't make sense. for my dog (may she rest in peace), I would have done anything. I have cats and I plan who is going to take care of them, give medication prior to booking trips to make sure I have coverage. then I call every day to check on them. It would make sense if I tried to get my babies back, they come before my husband, lol (he's not insulted, he knows). but here's someone who had a dog hit by a car, still no collar, still running around, has ticks, has a "co=owner", doesn't realize dog is not back for I don't care if its two weeks, one week, three days or one hour. I would look immediately. Something is not right.

Last year when we were away, my one cat who is afraid until they know you, was hiding from my SD who always stays here to take care of the animals. My cats don't go out. On the 3rd day I was yelling at her to tear the house apart until she had "eyes" on the cat. I just needed to make sure. she calls me on the 4th day and says now the cat is her best friend, lol. these are indoor cats and I freaked out.

so I repeat, something is not right. Either you love your animal so much its obvious or there's a hidden agenda. Just my opinion.

Aruba since 1979
    re: ticks and the way dogs run free in aruba

most every dog i have ever seen on the beach in aruba has a tick or 2 or more.
    lots of local folks bring their dogs to the beach.
    lots are unleashed.
    it is part of the aruba great outdoors
    some of those dogs lying in the weeds, the sand or wherever are bound to pick up ticks.
    thank goodness as far as i know, there is no lyme there.
    however those blood sucking little monsters do cause the dogs to be anemic if not removed.
    a tick can latch on and in just a matter of a few hours be the size of a nickel (full of blood)

and the dogs running free.........as much as it is unsafe, it will continue to happen.
    (ya there is a leash law)

the pet owners of aruba (not all, maybe not even half) do not treat their pets in the way we (many of us) treat
    our pets in the usa or canada.

it is a very very deep cultural divide. and that is NOT a bad thing. it is just different.

most folks in the caribbean and other areas of the world also do not believe in neutering their dogs (male)
    again, it is a cultural thing.
    fromwhat i have been told, they feel it is a demasculinazation (did i spell that right, is it a word?)
    what i have observed is that they feel spaying is appropriate, neutoring is not.

i so wish there were an easy resolution to this mess.
    i hate how it casts a dark shadow on adopting adult aruba dogs
    those adult dogs are difficult enough to get adopted out due to their age and their competition with the puppies.

retagger......(david) kudos to you for feeling comfortable enough here to go against the flow and stating your opinion.

it is tough to go against the popular view and to all, thank you for adding in your remarks and opinions.
    but we are polite and respectful and civil and it is good to see excellent conversations here.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-22-2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: removed my snowbird comment

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast