Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree331Likes

Thread: couple in legal battle to keep dog they say was rescued in Aruba

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Yes you are correct , is doesn't shed a good light on the rescue efforts on the island.
    i shall watch this role out with great interest.

Thanks for the appropriate wording Andrea. Much appreciated. Again we have to remember with laws and animals and many other things - it is Aruba - not the US or Canada.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I think the enactment of tougher dog laws in Aruba is a recognition that they have to change that cultural perception. Just like it used to be okay to let dogs roam free in North America, Aruba is starting to catch up. I don't really care whether it's because of tourist outcry or (hopefully) a local realization that the dogs need better protection. Either way, if it benefits the dogs, I'm happy about it.

While I agree that it is a deep, cultural divide, I have to question whether that justifies the behaviour. There are also cultures where it's acceptable practice to stone a woman for driving a car, slice someone's throat for their religious belief, refuse service because of sexual orientation etc. I recognize that these are extreme examples but still the same premise: things need to change in the world.

Given studies that are now showing the cognizant and emotional capacity dogs have, I hope education is going to help rectify dog and animal abuses worldwide.

Excuse me while I go up north and club a baby seal... Canada = guilty.
    Last edited by act1966; 03-19-2015 at 11:08 AM.

There is a news article in the March 27th edition of Amigoe regarding Coco. See link http://www.amigoe.com/aruba/203881-a...en-hond-whitey

I hope Ms. Connell does the right thing and send Coco back to Aruba to reunite with her family. If that fails, the courts will... (Just my opinion).

Well, you know what they say, "no good deed goes unpunished". I feel very sorry for Lisa, but the Aruban(?) owners should have taken better care of "Coco". It doesn't seem to me that an organization, especially in Aruba, could move so fast as to take the dog immediately from it's owners and have it adopted and transported out of the country. I can't imagine how this will adversely affect the rescue groups.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I watch this with great interest. Her town is the next town over. I actually work in that town.
    Its on the local news quite often.
    i don't feel the news is giving a true picture of it.
    all I can say is , "glad it's not me"!
    we have 2 dogs ( Westies) that we love dearly
    Last edited by cindyo; 03-28-2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

Andrea..regarding your comments about ticks and dogs here in Aruba, I thought you might be interested in the following. In 2010, the Veterinary Services Aruba in conjunction with University ( Utrecht) undertook a 2 month study of 100 stray and dogs taken into vets to determine the issue of tick-borne diseases. The results showed 4 different disease, including heartworm in approx. 75% of the dogs. None showed lime disease and to the best of my knowledge ticks that draw blood from deer are the ones that spread lime disease. I am not aware of any deer population on the Island.

Regarding the dog adoption issue.

Firstly, I should correct the lady who has the dog and is caring for it. There are Sunday and after hours vet services here on the Island. I can provide a telephone number should anyone want it.

The Aruba lady who claims ownership should put up proof and in that case, Retaggers position may well be correct. From what is claimed the dog received injuries in a car accident. If the woman has proof that she took the dog for care, then the Vet would have records of treatment and medications. Similarly, she claims the dog was looked after and again if this is the case there should be records of vaccinations etc. This would go a long way to establishing the truth that the dog was hers and looked after.

I am also wondering what, if any, action she has taken to provide proof to the animal rights folks here. I am sure they would be interested to see proof.

If the proof cannot be provided, then let the dog stay in a safe and caring home

That's all. Just my thoughts and opinion.

John

I didn't like the fact that the 'owner' was off island and offered to pay for 'getting the dog back and sending a replacement dog'. Most people let their dogs run free despite a new law about keeping them on leashes. I am relating to this story as another 'dutch' person using Aruban law to her advantage. She's going to try to get money out of these people for 'pain and suffering' is my best guess.

I really am getting tired of Americans being duped by people who know the Aruban law and using it to their advantage. I am sickened by this and and how we are being treated as well. I really wish that Aruba would wake up and start seeing how bad Americans are being treated. As my renter said in a letter to someone from a forum "Americans could learn from watching cultured dutch people". They all think we are rich dumb Americans that they can use to get money.

Just my angry 2 cents or Florin. If anyone knows what we can do about this 'trend' - please PM me. This also applies to house thefts - unless the police has a tape of the people taking things from the house - there is no case ever. Again using the system to their advantage.
    Aruba Kitten Rescue www.arubakitten.org

Thank you for posting this. I have been blessed by so many supporters. For anyone questioning my actions, "Would you wait two weeks to look for your dog on an island with a kill shelter? Would you wait one week? I wouldn't wait 5 minutes. I would be out and about immediately. I always say that actions speak louder than words. Even if there was no kill shelter, any real animal lover would react immediately.

I stand by my original statement in that I hope you (Lisa-Marie65) do the right thing and send Coco back to its owner in Aruba.

I truly believe your heart was in the right place and you were attempting for help a dog. But once the owner reached out to you, Coco needed to be sent back once you realized that Coco had an owner. You might not agree with the way Coco had been raised, but that is not up to you unless the dog was being abused or was homeless. By all accounts from the owners Facebook page, Coco had a great life in Aruba.
    Last edited by Retagger; 03-31-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast