Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree331Likes

Thread: couple in legal battle to keep dog they say was rescued in Aruba

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Same article locally long time ago

Aruba since 1979
    today is the day the court has chosen to continue hearing this case.

hope that it all goes well for the dog!

Let's hope this dog stays where he belongs and deserves...
    To bad the orginal owner can't be fine for neglect and abuse.

Hoping it all works out the way it should!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

An updated news article regarding this case. http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/...4d3c86503.html

=======================
    An Attleboro District Court judge who heard an international dispute over a mixed-breed dog brought to North Attleboro from a beach in Aruba has taken the case under advisement.
    Judge Edmond Mathers did not say when he would rule on the case.
    The two-day civil trial ended Friday with conflicting testimony concerning the physical condition of the dog, which the plaintiffs say was kidnapped and the defendants say was a stray saved from certain death.

In this case, the physical condition when the dog was found in Aruba and ownership of the dog are not the only bones of contention.

The two sides call the dog by different names.

The plaintiffs, Cornelia Hajdinyak and Howard Tromp, of Aruba, call it "Whitey." The defendants, Lisa and Dan O'Connell of North Attleboro, call it "Coco."

Hajdinyak testified marks on the dog were scars from surgery after it was struck by a car in Aruba a year ago. Lisa O'Connell testified veterinarians who treated the dog never found surgical scars.

Hajdinyak maintained she returned to Aruba from her home in Switzerland last fall and was told the dog was lost, before learning from an Animal Relief Foundation volunteer in Aruba that the dog was flown to the United States.

O'Connell says she and her husband found the dog tick-infested, thirsty, hungry and with no identification on the beach before taking it to a veterinarian on the island.

They adopted the dog after being told it would likely be killed because Aruba has a stray dog problem, O'Connell maintained.

Under cross-examination Friday, O'Connell acknowledged that veterinarian reports the plaintiffs' lawyer Keith Langer of Wrentham showed her did not mention the dog was malnourished or dehydrated. But she later explained the exam was not comprehensive.

Hajdinyak testified again Friday that she offered in an email to pay all O'Connell's expenses and would buy her another rescue dog if she returned her dog.

"She told me not to contact her anymore and she refused to give me my dog back," Hajdinyak testified.

O'Connell's lawyer, Alfred Gray of Boston, argued that the plaintiffs have not established they even owned the dog, and called an ownership agreement they presented as evidence "bogus."

He told the judge that even if he finds they owned the dog, evidence and testimony indicates they "relinquished" ownership of it.

"At this point," he said, "Coco is in a safe environment. She is happy. She is loved."

Langer said the ownership agreement was proper, and argued that the so-called adoption of the dog was improper. He argued the volunteer who testified did not understand the law in Aruba and relied on information about it in a tourist newspaper.

He said the case is not as complex as the defendants are making it out to be, calling it a simple property case.

"The defendant willfully and repeatedly refused to turn over Whitey to her true owners," Langer argued.

==================

Hopefully the judge will study the facts and conclude the dog should be sent back to its rightfull owner in Aruba.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I hope that Coco can stay where she is safe, loved and happy.

As I understand, Ms. Hajdinyak does not even live full-time in Aruba, only 180 days per year? And has a job as a flight attendant. How can she even take care of the dog? IMO, she can not.

Aruba since 1979
    i think she ( Ms. Hajdinyak) spends much time "flying"
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    I hope that Coco can stay where she is safe, loved and happy.

As I understand, Ms. Hajdinyak does not even live full-time in Aruba, only 180 days per year? And has a job as a flight attendant. How can she even take care of the dog? IMO, she can not.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i think she ( Ms. Hajdinyak) spends much time "flying"
    Indeed!
    She just flew from Europe to the USA to attend the trial.

Is Aruba in Europe?

I better behave now!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    good thing i wasn't the court reporter on that case. my judge use to say i drove him crazy. if it was my judge, i'd be knocking on chamber doors and telling him if he sent that dog back to aruba, he'd be getting a whole new "crazy" from me. i think if she spent as much energy on keeping that dog safe and loved as she has trying to get him back, that would be a lucky dog. judge judy would never send that dog back.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I was in court with the family Friday
    I went in as a show of support
    I feel Lisa and Dan should be allowed to keep the dog
    To many inconsistencies from Cornelia

Thank you Gaby for your comments of " all kinds of crazy"
    David I totally disagree with you !

I will not take this post to the next level of crazy, but only say I would defend the O' Connell's in their plight!

Hang in there Lisa and Dan, I can only pray that the judge does the right thing and let's you keep CoCo

Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    An updated news article regarding this case. http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/local_news/judge-to-rule-in-case-of-dog-brought-from-aruba/article_f0dd5ff7-a453-563a-a88a-.

Hopefully the judge will study the facts and conclude the dog should be sent back to its rightfull owner in Aruba.
    Last edited by cindyo; 08-01-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast