Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Curious and would like some feedback

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,088

    Curious and would like some feedback

    Hi all

    some folks here will remember I went into self imposed exile from the forum almost 6 months ago in order to work on my new novel. Pleased to say the progress has been good.

    However, I have a question for everyone as selecting publishing method is coming up.

    the question is:: Do you prefer to have a hard cover/paperback or download and read on a Kindle? Also, does your preference change between a beach read and reading at home. Would you prefer a book at home and a Kindle at beach?

    i would really appreciate some input on this

    And yes, there is an Aruban aspect to the book....drama, a woman infatuated with an attractive Aruban, deceit and tourism. Well, that should do it!,

    John

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,915
    i prefer E-reading
    (on my ipad mini beach, home, wherever)
    glad that your novel is near or at completion.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Hi all

    some folks here will remember I went into self imposed exile from the forum almost 6 months ago in order to work on my new novel. Pleased to say the progress has been good.

    However, I have a question for everyone as selecting publishing method is coming up.

    the question is:: Do you prefer to have a hard cover/paperback or download and read on a Kindle? Also, does your preference change between a beach read and reading at home. Would you prefer a book at home and a Kindle at beach?

    i would really appreciate some input on this

    And yes, there is an Aruban aspect to the book....drama, a woman infatuated with an attractive Aruban, deceit and tourism. Well, that should do it!,

    John

  3. #3
    Senior Member AndyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Paradise Beach Villas Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,276
    I've had a Nook for a few years. Much easier than a dead tree book. I can carry dozens of books on my Nook. It takes minimal space in my carry-on, is much lighter than a book and easier to handle - I can turn the page with the hand that holds the Nook so I don't have to put down my drink.

    Nook books are cheaper as well. Nook all the way for me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,494
    I prefer e-reading, I am a recent convert and don't think I will go back to buying hard copies. Its just much more convenient - you can purchase and start reading right away without waiting for delivery or searching for a bookstore. I would love to know when your book is available!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I prefer e-reading, I am a recent convert and don't think I will go back to buying hard copies. Its just much more convenient - you can purchase and start reading right away without waiting for delivery or searching for a bookstore. I would love to know when your book is available!

    Tracetd... If Andrea OKs it I will post when it is available. Not long now

    j

  6. #6
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,915
    will ok!!

    john.....is there a different profit margin traditional hard cover or paperback vs ebook?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    will ok!!

    john.....is there a different profit margin traditional hard cover or paperback vs ebook?
    Significant difference. Depends on publisher Some require a literary agent and then provide editor. These are costs borne by the author. In addition some publishers require payment from the author which generally amounts to thousands then there is there commission which covers printing, warehousing, distribution and sometimes the cost of remainder ing the unsold books from the stores.

    Books on download, while considerably less expensive to purchase, run at approx 80% royalty. Talking books around 60--70%. These are sample rates that Amazon pay. There are exceptions. It all depends on how much work a publisher has to do. Converting the manuscript from Word to a publishing language. Formatting. Colour cover work, illustrations and so on.

    there is no simple formula, but online books are somewhat easier to have published at lower costs. Hope this answers your question

    j

  8. #8
    Junior Member passion4travel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10
    Hi John;

    I prefer e-read. I download the books I read on the iPAD. it is very convenient.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Deck in the afternoon
    Posts
    3,675
    There is something about holding a book that I enjoy. Maybe it comes from years of working on the publishing side of a company that wrote fire safety codes. I must confess though I recently purchased a kindle and love it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Posts
    2,069
    Though I love a hardcover book, it is inconvenient & eventually cumbersome in the home. I have fallen in love with e-reading because it's convenient & weighs nothing. Having said that, I can not emphasize enough about proof reading. Nothing makes me think a writer is an amateur like an unproofed book. It is a huge problem with downloads. And if you read reviews on different books on Amazon, I would say the majority of the low star ratings is due to proof reading. So if you go that route, hire a proof reader.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO