Aruba Beach

Thread: D Day Remembered

D Day Remembered

June 6, D-Day, was yesterday. Every June 6th I remember my Dad…..probably even more than on his birthday, death anniversary, or Christmas. Strange, I know….but that day had to have been a most defining moment in his life. My Dad was as sensitive as can be, but tough as nails too. I think that his D-Day experience had a lot to do with it.
    He never spoke to me about his experience (except once....that follows below), that’s how real heroes are. Heroes don’t talk about their own exploits. I had to piece together what he really went through that day through what other relatives told me through the years….and how he returned a different man.
    I had the honor of visiting Omaha Beach with my Dad in the spring of 1986. He hadn’t been there since June of ’44. We drove up, alone, he looked around….he walked along the beach in silence and then stopped and pointed to the ground. “Here”, he said, “this is where I landed”.
    I looked around and saw a line of cliffs along the beach; there were also remains of ancient German artillery bulkheads. Realizing that this place was in the middle of the battleground I asked “Dad, what time did you land, was it early in the day”? He looked at me and said….”what group was I in?” (the answer was Engineers). “When do they go in?” (the answer was first). He then said “stop asking stupid questions”. End of conversation. We probably spent two hours there.
    He was there, in the middle of it all, very very early that day.
    He’s been gone 15 years….I miss him every day….especially D-Day. He taught me how to do so much. Love you Dad.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Aruba since 1979
    your dad, your hero

"stop asking stupid questions"...... gotta love our dads and their ways.

tell us how the trip to france came about...did he ask you to accompany him? did you ask to go and facilitate the trip?

your dad was undoubtedly same generation as mine and i close my eyes envisioning my dad saying the same thing about stupid questions. :-)

thank you mr. o for saving us from the nazis.

Alto Vista Chapel, Renaissance Island, Arashi Beach

Thank you!

I was touched by your post regarding your Dad. God Bless all American Soldiers who give so much.

Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    He taught me how to do so much. Love you Dad.
    I am sure he would be very proud of you and all you have accomplished, not to mention your wondeful dd's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Amen. We were watching the WWII episode of "America, the Story of Us" and there was a gory renactment of D-day. Dd began whining and I told her if it had not been for D-day, one of the worst days in U.S. military history, she would be speaking German right now.

As I suspect you already know....my Dad would not want any thanks. All he ever wanted from this country was a place where he could raise his family in peace....that, and the flag on his coffin. He did want that. It now sits in a case in our family room.

tell us how the trip to france came about...did he ask you to accompany him? did you ask to go and facilitate the trip?

The trip to Normandy with Dad was my idea and plan. It was something I always wanted to do, and I am eternally grateful that we did it when we had the chance. No tour, no groups….just Dad and me and a rental car finding our way through France.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    I am sure he would be very proud of you and all you have accomplished, not to mention your wondeful dd's.
    I hope so, I think so.

He did love the dd's, though he only saw them through ages 2 and 3.

Haven't been on the forum for a while, but this post struck my eye.

To me, D - Day is one of the most horrifying experiences I think a person could go through. I wish I could personally thank all of the soldiers who fought so bravely on that day.

My Grandpa was also WW2 vet. He was in many battles and earned two Purple Hearts. I was always proud of my Grandpa, more than I can ever tell you. He was injured right before D - Day, during the invasion he was in a hospital in England. His unit was at the invvasion, without him, almost all of them died that day. I can't even begin to explain how much my Grandpa hated himself for not being there, it was heartbreaking to watch him every anniversary of D - Day. I always tried to tell to him that God didn't want him to be there, but he always had a hard time accepting that.

His time came, though, during the Battle of the Bulge. While the rest of the Allied Forces were retreating, his unit was the one of the few that didn't. He did a whole world of good that day.

Throughout his life, he was always more quiet about his experiences than some of the other vets. However, he always made time to tell me stories, so that the future generation wouldn't forget, as we already have started to do. Today, there aren't that many celebration or memorials on the anniversary. But those that know about it, will always find a special place in their hearts for it.

My Grandpa left this world November 6, 2008. He is missed by so many. I will never forget the danger that him and all the others put theirselves in to save this country AND world from the Nazi's reign of terror.

To all the soldiers, of the past and present. We remember you, now and forever. God bless you and many thanks for your bravery!

Thanks to the past Mr. O for his service. And to the present Mr. O for posting. God bless you!
    Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by jollypirates9394 View Post

Thanks to the past Mr. O for his service. And to the present Mr. O for posting. God bless you!
    ....and thank you, too, for your thoughtful and thought provoking post. It came from your heart.

PS - Not sure if you remember meeting me back in April....I am the customer from Rhode Island who spoke with your friend about her upcoming move to Egypt.
    Last edited by rob o; 06-10-2010 at 07:46 PM.