Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Hell

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    We have 5 Dells. I agree with Lisa....never again. When I need tech support, I visit the little geek down the street. Two advantages: (1) he knows his stuff....doesn't work from a pre-determined menu; (2) speaks english.

He speaks English that's great!

I guess I am lucky I never had to deal with tech support especially since the helpdesk is outsourced to India for cost reason. Don't get me started there.

Thank goodness I am a network/systems engineer so most of the time I can figure things out or ask a colleague or just blow away my system and rebuild.

It's a windows thing, it's horrible! A Mac is a reliable machine but mainly built for graphic designers or someone doing photo or video editing.

My Mom just bought a gateway, I set it up for her and I must say it is a pretty nice setup, no issues.

Next time I have an issue with windows Iam going to blow it away and install red hat or another flavor of Linux on it and run it that way. I' will not see any of those window problems again.

Wow.....Have had dell, hp and gateway desk and laptops and haven't had any major issues with any of them...knock on wood ! Think I may just be lucky...had to call dell recently and could not understand a word the fellow spoke...same as when I have problems with internet...I have Hughesnet(off shoot of Directv) and I NEVER understand a word....
    Oh well, we keep buying from companies that outsource internationally as well as move there for cheap labor and this is what we should expect....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Just keep requesting to speek to a manager until you get resolution, I learned that trick AFTER logging over 15 hours trying to fix a problem

Arrow The cause...

Okay the problem with the computer was...

The RAD configuration was copying errors back and forth. Apparently the computer came figured that way when we purchased it three years ago. I never payed attention to the fact that MS backup did not work because I use an external hard drive for backup/storage.

I know now, Dh during his 8 hour marathon the other night, had paid a $99 fee for one month of North American support to finally talk to a person he could actually understand.

This a.m. dh wrote multiple emails to so called "executives at "investor relations". Late this afternoon he received a phone call from a customer service representitive.

A nice way to work things is to say that they further insulted us by having someone from India make THAT phone call. I was on the extension and hung up leaving dh to handle it. I like Indians. My gastroenterologist (sp?) is Indian and a nice person, so please do not think I am predjuced, I am not, but this rep-- I could not understand a word of his English.

After all was said and done, the rep gave us the "choice" of refunding our $99 for our frustration and trouble. We accepted and dh will continue to work his way up the excutive ladder with this complaints until he feels that his voice is being heard. Anyone who know him, knows dh is a very determined kind of guy.

I am grateful I did not lose much, if anything off the computer itself. Thank God I had just finished organizing and copying all of about 2000+ songs from my iTunes folder over to my external hard drive. All my 1000's and 1000's of photos are also stored externally on the hard drive as well as Cd/Dvd. Most of the frustration now is reloading software and re-setting settings, importing calenders, bookmarks etc.

As a word of advice to anyone who wishes to save copies of anything "really" important, I also have all our business info and most important photos backed up on "spare" Cd/Dvd's and stored at my parents in Florida. I had just signed up for www.mozy.com as an additional "off site" storage, but had not finished backing up to that. Living in a locale where you get tornados forces one to think of these things.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote from Lisa...."A nice way to work things is to say that they further insulted us by having someone from India make THAT phone call. I was on the extension and hung up leaving dh to handle it. I like Indians. My gastroenterologist (sp?) is Indian and a nice person, so please do not think I am predjuced, I am not, but this rep-- I could not understand a word of his English."

Ah, didn't i know this statement was coming.
    Cindy

Aruba since 1979
    soooo frustrating.

andrea

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12