Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Destination Suggestion Similar to Aruba?

Druif Beach, Casibari, Guadirikiri Cave, and Boca Catalina

Question Destination Suggestion Similar to Aruba?

Hi. We just returned from a wonderful 9 days in Aruba. We couldn't have been happier with the island, its people, or our hotel (Tamarijn). I know that many of you go back to Aruba every year, but we tend to pick somewhere new before repeating a vacation. I'm sure we'll be back to Aruba, just not in 2011.

My question: which beach destination do you feel is most similar to Aruba? We want to go somewhere that is very family-friendly. Destinations where security guards with guns are at the front gate of the resort or have people begging for money would not allow me to relax on vacation.

We've been to the British Virgin Islands (which I LOVE) -- and I was thinking maybe the Cayman Islands, St. John's, or the Florida Keys would be possible also. What am I overlooking? Thanks for the suggestions.

Aruba since 1979
    turks and cacos

bonaire (although the beaches are not as wonderful, but the people are extraordinary as is the snorkeling and scuba.)

st maarten dutch side.

nothing holds a candle to aruba, but these places are good too.

Anguilla, Grand Caymen= expensive
    Bonaire- fantastic snorkeling/diving, no beaches or activities
    Curaco- coarse coral beaches, but tons of them, excellent snorkeling/diving, more Dutch than Aruba, much larger island
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-02-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Does it have to be in the Caribbean? If not, Hawaii is a wonderful and safe family vacation and the locals are very nice too. We have been on 3 of the islands - Maui, Oahu, and Kauai are all fabulous and all very different from each other. The restaurants are great, the sightseeing is endless, and you are still actually in the US (hard to believe while you are there) so no customs,etc to deal with. The obvious down side is that it is a long trip if you live on the East Coast like us, but it is really a great vacation that you will never forget.
    Last edited by jeffnev; 08-03-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Wasn't a fan of St Maarten, the Dutch side was crowded, noisy and dirty. There were a couple fantastic beaches on the French side (happy beach, friar's beach) and Grand Case is a neat little town, full of restaurants.

Does it have to be a beach destination?

If you're interested in Spain (not the beaches) I have lots of info on my blog. Plenty of interesting history, great food, interesting culture. There are some very good tours if you don't speak Spanish.

Anyway, I also like Key West.

Bon dia.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    Does it have to be a beach destination?

If you're interested in Spain (not the beaches) I have lots of info on my blog. Plenty of interesting history, great food, interesting culture. There are some very good tours if you don't speak Spanish.

Anyway, I also like Key West.

Bon dia.

Key West is a place I'd like to visit, after taking a few days to drive down from Miami -- any sugggestions (where to stay, eat, swim, etc!) would be really helpful!

Aruba since 1979
    i love the "feel" and the beauty of key west.
    unfortunately the beaches are not great .....small....course gravely sand... and not wide open expanse of beaches. there are better beaches on the other keys.

but the scenery, the scuba, the snorkeling, the restaurants are all wonderful.
    we have stayed at 2 different bed and breakfast places and i will be darned, cannot remember the names! :-(

I enjoy any beach that has blue sky and bright sun. Would love to visit every one worldwide.

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i love the "feel" and the beauty of key west.
    unfortunately the beaches are not great .....small....course gravely sand... and not wide open expanse of beaches. there are better beaches on the other keys.

but the scenery, the scuba, the snorkeling, the restaurants are all wonderful.
    we have stayed at 2 different bed and breakfast places and i will be darned, cannot remember the names! :-(
    Maybe take a week to drive down, stopping at one or two places, then Key
    West for a few days, then drive back? (I'm assuming we'd fly into Miami?) Only down side would be the packing and unpacking! lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast