Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you remember when?

Aruba since 1979

Do you remember when?

on the Walter Cronkite thread, cindy and i were in 3rd grade, rob was in 5th when JFK was assassinated.

in light or remembering when and do your remember.....

do any of you remember the "fallout drills" that were done in the schools in the early 60's? i have vague memories of having to jam ourselves in the coat room in the back of the classroom and squat down and hold books over our heads.

was this done during the cuban missile crisis?

what do you remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    on the Walter Cronkite thread, cindy and i were in 3rd grade, rob was in 5th when JFK was assassinated.

do any of you remember the "fallout drills" that were done in the schools in the early 60's? i have vague memories of having to jam ourselves in the coat room in the back of the classroom and squat down and hold books over our heads.

what do you remember?

I don't remember anything back then. I guess my memory doesn't work since it was like 15 years before I was born
    Decided to take down my timer!

At the age of 2 it was just another day in the play pen for me.

In 1963 I remember the day Kennedy was shot and killed.I was a bad boy that day and my 5th grade teacher Mrs Smith was yelling at me in the hall way.Another teacher came over to her and told her the president was killed.A day i will never forget.Walter Cronkite was the only news we ever watched.
    Last edited by DANNYO; 07-18-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

what do you remember?
    Drills were before, during and after the crisis, which I remember being a very scary time.

So, too, was Nikita Krushchev's visit to the UN.

I was on a bus going home when Kennedy died. He was shot before I got on the bus....died before I got home.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Yes, I remember the fallout drills in grammer school. We didn't go into the coat closet. Not enough room as there was over 50 kids in my class in paraochial school. We had to hide under our desk. The Missel Crisis was in 1962. I was out walking with a girlfriend. We saw a plane and said to each other are we going to die. I thought we were going to be bombed. Scary.

I stopped in a candy store on the way home from school in Nov. '63. They had the radio on. That's how I found out the news about JFK.

I remember those drills. They sent us to the basement of our school and we hid under tables down there. Now I think about it and say - if we had been bombed, the entire building would have come down on top of us. I don't think a table would have protected us! As for JFK, we were sent home from school but not told why. I can remember walking into my kitchen and seeing my mom crying. She told us what happened and we watched all the coverage with Walter Cronkite on our little black and white tv. My parents were big Kennedy people so it was a tragic event in our home. I met Senator Ted Kennedy a few years ago and told him about the "Kennedy shrine" my mother had in our home. He got a big kick out of it.

The fallout drills for us was: "Sit under your desk, place your head between your knees and prepare to kiss your ass goodbye!" That was high tech protection from nuclear fallout, huh?
    I watched some old clips of Walter Cronkite yesterday...I remember seeing the John Kennedy murder coverage live in grade school. A teacher came into my class and whispered something into my teacher's ear..they both started crying and then someone rolled a tv into the room and we watched as Walter told the world that our president had been shot to death. School let out early and everywhere I went people were sad and crying. I stayed glued to the tube for days. I watched live as Ruby killed Oswald. I'm still fascinated by the whole thing. Not sure I believe that Oswald was the only shooter.

I was wonering if I should join this thread, since my memories go a lot farther back.
    When Kennedy was shot, I was on the job as an engineer working on a computer
    for the Polaris submarine, and was out of school long after those 'fallout' drills.

When Kennedy gave his 'Cuban Missile' speach, I was teaching an evening
    physics class at a local Long Island university and fortunately someone in the
    class had a portable radio.

Just before my 8th birthday, I remember a neighboring farmer stopping by to tell
    us to turn on a radio, because Pearl Harbor had been attacked.

I also remember the first time I saw and aircraft that wasn't a biplane, was when an
    Army Air Force P38 flew over our central Wisconsin town.

I was wonering if I should join this thread, since my memories go a lot farther back.
    I for one, am happy that you shared your memories. It is a good reminder for all of us, how many life changing events have occurred during our country's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    Just before my 8th birthday, I remember a neighboring farmer stopping by to tell us to turn on a radio, because Pearl Harbor had been attacked.
    Do you remember if you were scared?

I also remember the first time I saw and aircraft that wasn't a biplane, was when an Army Air Force P38 flew over our central Wisconsin town.
    What an awesome sight that must have been!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast