Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** Driving Maine to Ellenton, FL****help??

Aruba since 1979

*** Driving Maine to Ellenton, FL****help??

at the end of this month, paul and the dog and i are making a trip SOUTH
    from Waterville Maine to Ellenton Fl. (Ellenton, just north of Sarasota)

Paul and i have the use of a house for the time there for the Month of March.
    We can bring the dog (not the cat).
    We are driving.

Anyone ever make the trip to FL by car?

We are thinking of 1st day going as far as Washington DC
    2nd day going as far as Savannah GA
    3rd day to destination Ellenton FL

comments?
    help?
    anything?

tomorrow, we work on finding housing for our kitty and doing a route and motel stops (that take dogs) in the washington area and the savannah area.

are we being too over the top thinking we can make it in 3 days?
    it is a little less than 1600 miles.
    1st day would be the most mileage. 600+ miles

andrea

First day is probably going to be the hardest driving through NYC and PHL before getting to DC. You might want to re-think that or at least make sure your timing avoids rush hours. Same for leaving DC.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks
    going thru nyc we guesstimate it will be around noon and dc around 4 or 5 pm, on a SATURDAY the 27th

Senior Member aruba here I come's Avatar
    i would have said the same, don't hit dc at rush hour, it can be a nightmare! But since you have said now you would hit it on sat, you shouldn't have to worry about that! I wouldn't look to stay in dc its self,(some places in dc aren't the greatest either!) I am sure that will cost a bundle! I wold look either before you hit dc, or try to get into virginia.
    depends on how long you can stand driving... how tired you guys get, if you hit traffic, accidents, construction (yea you know you will hit that!)

My mom is from ND, and we could do union county nj to westhope ND (1 1/2 mile from the candian border) in three days. not too sure on the milage.

We (actually, my parents) drove to FL for years when we were kids. We went for 2 weeks in February. It took us 2 days to get to FL (Orlando) from CT. Of course, my parents were much younger then and would pretty much drive straight through except for an overnight stop.

I haven't done the drive myself, but I think 3 days is enough time to get there. Like others have said, avoid the big cities during rush hour (although you're leaving on a Sat. so shouldn't be a problem).

I live near DC (Manassas, VA). We just drove from here to Orlando in 13 hours and drove straight through (with two dogs with us). Maybe you can drive from Maine to DC, then DC to Jacksonville, FL, then Jacksonville to Sarasota. Good luck on your trip and have fun!

Friends of ours used to drive to FL every year for vacation from MA. They got so they wanted to avoid the city traffic of NYC and DC, so they changed their route and followed I-84 from CT over to PA. They then drove down, I believe I-81. While it was not as direct a route as I-95, they found it much more pleasant to drive and they reconnected with I-95 somewhere south of DC. They used that route every year after.

From MA, they drove in 2 days staying overnight in NC and driving the rest of the way to FL the next day.

Baby beach, natural bridge, palm beach, California Lighthouse
    We have drivin to Florida multiple times from southern NH. We have made it driving straight through when we were younger and crazy to Orlando in about 28 hours. We used to get a triptik from AAA and followed it. If you leave on Saturday you will miss all the traffic of the bigger cities on the way down. You should easily be through the major cities the first day. My elderly parents just drove there motor home in about 3 days so I think you will be fine by car. Have a safe trip

Aruba since 1979
    ehampite i think i wil map out that route and make some comparisons.
    thx

Aruba since 1979
    thx
    i am on information overload which is good!
    Quote Originally Posted by arubaerin View Post
    We have drivin to Florida multiple times from southern NH. We have made it driving straight through when we were younger and crazy to Orlando in about 28 hours. We used to get a triptik from AAA and followed it. If you leave on Saturday you will miss all the traffic of the bigger cities on the way down. You should easily be through the major cities the first day. My elderly parents just drove there motor home in about 3 days so I think you will be fine by car. Have a safe trip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast