Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *** Driving Maine to Ellenton, FL****help??

Good luck, Andrea. Whichever route you choose, enjoy and safe travels!

we make the trip from NH to florida a couple of times a tear. we used to go through DC and all the traffic and tolls. NOW, we go about 80 miles out of our way, but only one toll on the mass. pike and one xtra on the NY bridge coming back. this is our route. 495 to 290 to mass. pike. take rte 84 to rte 81 in scranton pa. follow rte 81 into virginia only a couple of exits to rte 17 in winchester Va. follow rte 17 into fredricksburg va. where you pick up rte 95 south. very nice route, relaxing and a ton of hotels.

We live a little south of Sarasota. We drove down from CT when we moved in 1992. First night Rocky Mount, NC, second night Brunswick, GA then Sarasota the third day. When we arrived in Rocky Mount were looking forward to a cocktail and dinner only to find out that Rocky Mount is a "dry town". Not to worry. We had packed up our bar from out CT home and had all the booze in the trunk!

Ellenton has a great outlet mall if you enjoy shopping. Hope it warms up when you get here. This has been the coldest winter that I can remember in 18 years. March should be fine. Bien viaje.

Quote Originally Posted by ltdpt View Post
    we make the trip from NH to florida a couple of times a tear. we used to go through DC and all the traffic and tolls. NOW, we go about 80 miles out of our way, but only one toll on the mass. pike and one xtra on the NY bridge coming back. this is our route. 495 to 290 to mass. pike. take rte 84 to rte 81 in scranton pa. follow rte 81 into virginia only a couple of exits to rte 17 in winchester Va. follow rte 17 into fredricksburg va. where you pick up rte 95 south. very nice route, relaxing and a ton of hotels.
    81 through PA is pretty smooth and you can always pick up 83 here in Harrisburg and take that down to 95 if you want to cut a bit off the loop.

Aruba since 1979
    my dining room table is now the "mapping table"

since we will be traveling on Saturday/Sunday/Monday, we think we will go thru NYC and DC
    if it were going to be weekday thru those metro areas, we would take the advice of rte 84 to 81 then to 95.

thanks for all of your thoughts and help
    andrea and paul

ellenton

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    at the end of this month, paul and the dog and i are making a trip SOUTH
    from Waterville Maine to Ellenton Fl. (Ellenton, just north of Sarasota)

Paul and i have the use of a house for the time there for the Month of March.
    We can bring the dog (not the cat).
    We are driving.

Anyone ever make the trip to FL by car?

We are thinking of 1st day going as far as Washington DC
    2nd day going as far as Savannah GA
    3rd day to destination Ellenton FL

comments?
    help?
    anything?

tomorrow, we work on finding housing for our kitty and doing a route and motel stops (that take dogs) in the washington area and the savannah area.

are we being too over the top thinking we can make it in 3 days?
    it is a little less than 1600 miles.
    1st day would be the most mileage. 600+ miles

andrea

Wow, this board keeps getting smaller and smaller. I just came back from ellenton, my parents live there, in fact, they just bought their second house there and have two pending from foreclosures. They live 5 minutes from the outlets... where abouts arte you going in Ellenton>?

Lisa

Yep - that's the same route I was talking about. Much nicer drive, from what my friends tell me!

take rte 84 to rte 81 in scranton pa. follow rte 81 into virginia
    Does anyone have any idea how much traffic there is during rush hour on I- 81

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12