Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: FIRE....Tracey D's Dad and Mom , lost their home

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    Tracey, I've emailed everyone in Louisa that I know. If anyone knows of a place to rent, I'll let you know. Contacting vacation rentals companies is a good idea. I was also thinking that maybe someone on the lake might have a vacation house available to rent. Where are your parents now? Do they need anything?

As far as what they need, right now we aren't sure. They will need to replace all clothing and household items but first need to get into a house. We have told friends and family who want to help that gift cards are really the best thing right now if people want to help. This will be a process.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 07-21-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I'm so sorry to read this. I went through this so I know how devastating it is. It will be 10 years in November when our home went on fire. Thankfully your parents dog was saved. We lost our dog and 2 cats in the fire. I'm still heartbroken when I think of what our precious animals went through.

Has their insurance company helped to find a place for them to live while the house is being rebuilt. It took about week but our insurance co. found us a condo that allowed pets (we rescued a kitten a week after the fire and a dog 3 months later). Luckily the condo was up the road only 5 mins away so it was easy for my husband to check on the progress of the rebuilding. It did take us just about 1 year before we could move back in.

Thanks Liz, I will have them ask the insurance company about places to stay. I don't think we thought of that, but there has been so much going on they may have.

I am so sorry you had to deal with this too and losing your animals, that is heartbreaking.

Tracey.... Terrible... Was it just your dad and step mom in the house? Any siblings still at home?

I am so sorry. I thank God there was no loss of life, and that the pets had an escape route.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Tracey.... Terrible... Was it just your dad and step mom in the house? Any siblings still at home?
    No siblings at home, but the were renting a room to a young waitress they met at one of their go-to restaurants. She was down on her luck and my step-mom is very good when it comes to helping people out when they need a hand. So it was my dad, step-mom, their renter, and 4 dogs total.

Actually in the midst of all the sadness and chaos this week, we did have a light-hearted moment. Their renter lost everything, including some of her earnings from a busy weekend at a lakefront restaurant. She went into town - about 40 minutes to get to shopping - and replaced some of her clothes. She took the opportunity to announce to a crowd of friends and family that her [lady parts] had never been in Walmart underwear before this day. LOL...the look on my uncle (the deacon) and their retired sweetheart neighbors' faces were priceless.

We got an update from the fire inspector today, at first they thought the cause was a light fixture, but now they are thinking an air handler in the attic that is part of the HVAC system, regardless, it was an unfortunate accident that could happen to any of us. SCARY! Now we wait, the manufacturer gets an opportunity to do their own investigation before the fire inspector can complete the case. Today the house got boarded up and will sit like that for probably 4-6 weeks while investigations continue. We do have 2 leads on possible rentals for them. We are hoping to get them into a place by the beginning of August. Everyone has been so kind.

They have one friend who has been out of this world supportive, above and beyond for them. I would like to thank him, but he's one of those people that material things don't matter to him. If anyone has any ideas of a unique thank you gift or gesture, please let me know.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 07-21-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Rotfl!!!!!!!!!!!

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Tracy, Louisa has a local paper, which can be found in most of the stores. Your family has probably looked into rentals through the paper, but thought I'd mention that just in case.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Tracey, have your parents found a place to rent yet?

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    Tracey, have your parents found a place to rent yet?
    Hopefully we will find out today. The previous 2 possibilities haven't worked out, but they have a lead today and the people seem very interested in renting.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast