Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: First Time at Casa Del Mar, any tips?

First Time at Casa Del Mar, any tips?

We, my 16 year old niece and I, are staying at Casa Del Mar for the first time (in 10 Days!!!! ). To give you an idea of past experience, I've stayed at La Cabana twice and Surf Club once, La Cabana was a good match, a little elbow room at the pool and beach. Being so close to others at the Surf Club had me a little tense, I am not an urbanite, and it was just too tight. I did love all of the activities at the Surf Club, morning stretch, pool volleyball, beach volleyball, that was all great. Even La Cabana had the bingo and corn hole.
    Based on reviews on TripAdvisor and the resort's FB page, it seems like a bit of, hmm, not to have this come out in a wrong way, but, an older crowd (I'm 46 and pretty active) they showed chair yoga....Do they have more variety of activities? Any volleyball happening?
    I saw one response on another thread about Ricardo's on Thursday, which sounds great, Thanks for the tip.
    Oh and there were complaints on TA about the lack of shade/chairs, is this still an issue? I don't need a great spot, but generally like to do activities in the morning, and then spend the rest of the day by the pool, will we be able to get a spot? I have never done the 6:00 a.m. for a spot thing and am not planning on starting, I don't mind being far away, just so long as there is somewhere to relax.
    Speaking of far away, we have a one bedroom and I believe that is a completely separate bldg and pool, do we need to stay in that area? I will likely email the resort before arrival and ask about an upgrade if available, not only for the view, which I keep seeing is totally awesome in the 2 bedrooms, but more for the liveliness, any tips? Does anyone know the name of the Reservations Manager?
    So excited and love being able to yack it up with all you Aruba maniacs!
    Thanks All!

We usually stay at LaCabana and stayed at CDM for a week one year. We stayed in the 2BR and it was quite spacious. At the time (2010, maybe?) we had a very hard time finding room on the beach and wound up staying poolside much of the week. You can also use the beach palapas at Aruba Beach Club which helps (we didn't know that or it wasn't the case when I stayed there). Mathew's restaurant is very good and the happy hours were tons of fun!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    imo the crowd at casa del mar does seem to be "less young"

yes you do have to get out onto the beach EARLY to get a palapa AND yes, early for the pool too, but maybe not at 5 or 6 am

the building that you will be in (1 bedroom ambassador) is set back a hundred or so yards from the main CDM campus.
    it might be a 3 to 5 minute walk (maximum) from your building to the pool at the other section of CDM.
    you WILL and are entitled to the usage of all facilities at both the ambassador area and the presidential area.

most likely there will be no upgrade to the 2 bedroom presidential, but you should ask!

paul and i stayed at the CDM in the ambassador units and it was ok.
    our complaints revolved around housekeeping issues.

You may find that walking through the lobby or grounds of Aruba Beach Club is the quickest way to the beach from the Ambassador building.
    Manchebo Beach bar right next door has really tasty lunch options.

The mini market at Alhambra Shops has a grill and cook and make inexpensive options for a quick bite. We liked the pastechi. There is a Subway sandwich and a dunkin donuts right there too, not fine dining, but a great lunch to carry to the beach.
    If you can't get a palapa for shade, there are some nice shade trees between Aruba Beach Club and Manchebo. You could drag chairs over. The week we were there, shade was available all day, but it was a slow week before the holidays.

There is a Pelican tour for guests of ABC and CDM, it's a sunset sail, and there is a discount for guests and you should be able to get more info when you arrive.

Ahh, that was the team I needed, "less young" Thanks!

Thanks for the tips. I am not used to having housekeeping all week, so any housekeeping will be good with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    imo the crowd at casa del mar does seem to be "less young"

yes you do have to get out onto the beach EARLY to get a palapa AND yes, early for the pool too, but maybe not at 5 or 6 am

the building that you will be in (1 bedroom ambassador) is set back a hundred or so yards from the main CDM campus.
    it might be a 3 to 5 minute walk (maximum) from your building to the pool at the other section of CDM.
    you WILL and are entitled to the usage of all facilities at both the ambassador area and the presidential area.

most likely there will be no upgrade to the 2 bedroom presidential, but you should ask!

paul and i stayed at the CDM in the ambassador units and it was ok.
    our complaints revolved around housekeeping issues.

Tracey, thanks, these are great tips, Dunkin'? Yah! My niece and I are very low brow on the the food, so this is helpful.
    We did rent a car, so we will go to SuperFoods for some breakfast and lunch items. I love having a meal there too, they have great fresh OJ. (Funny the things we remember)
    Good tip about the shade trees and now I will know where to look for them.
    Sunset sail will be great, she has never sailed before.
    I think you mentioned Ricardo's in my other post. Thanks for that.
    Does CDM (getting the lingo) have daily activities? Like a little schedule for the week or is that not available? I know some places don't get enough participation and eventually phase it out, but it sounds like you have been there recently.
    Is the outdoor pizza place, near Costa Linda within walking distance?

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    You may find that walking through the lobby or grounds of Aruba Beach Club is the quickest way to the beach from the Ambassador building.
    Manchebo Beach bar right next door has really tasty lunch options.

The mini market at Alhambra Shops has a grill and cook and make inexpensive options for a quick bite. We liked the pastechi. There is a Subway sandwich and a dunkin donuts right there too, not fine dining, but a great lunch to carry to the beach.
    If you can't get a palapa for shade, there are some nice shade trees between Aruba Beach Club and Manchebo. You could drag chairs over. The week we were there, shade was available all day, but it was a slow week before the holidays.

There is a Pelican tour for guests of ABC and CDM, it's a sunset sail, and there is a discount for guests and you should be able to get more info when you arrive.

Pizza Bob's is absolutely within walking distance
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I have stayed the last 2 Mays at ABC- we are going back in a few weeks. We are not owners- just rent from other owners. You will get a weekly list of activities. I do know that bingo is played some afternoons and there are water aerobics. If you are looking for shade in the afternoon you should be fine as a lot of the older crowd tends to take off after/ around lunch time to go do other things. CDM visitors are allowed to take any empty Palapas after 8 or 9 am at the ABC.

I stood at Casa Del Mar a few years back I think it was 2012 and I stood in the 1 bedroom unit. This was my first solo trip and I had just broken up with my girlfriend at that time. I was very depressed but nothing like a trip to Aruba to chase away the blues. Anyway, there is a small pool by the 1 bedroom units which nobody used so I had it all to myself the whole week. Just me, my MP3 player and Bacardi Rum. I could not get a palapa by the beach and I also found the waters to be too ruff so I few times I walked to La Cabana and swam there. I was able to get away with a beach chair and palapa at la cabana a few times even though I was not staying there. Maybe the workers remember me from staying at la cabana in the past and thought i was staying there even though I did not have the bracelet.

Hi Again,

One more question, are they still selling timeshares, will they ask me to sit in on a presentation for a gift card to somewhere? Should I feign interest (I am not in a position to purchase rtight now, but have gotten some nice perks, when attending other presentations...)?
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast