Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Football head injuries

Unhappy Football head injuries

Scary... but like any sports there are always possibility of injuries. It's the drugs/alcohol with the fame they get what does it to them..(not saying he did any of those) look at the other one now in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I haven't heard the cause of death, but it sure makes me want to pull my kid out of football!

Sad that he was only 29.

Last edited by AUA1989; 04-27-2016 at 09:58 AM.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I haven't heard the cause of death, but it sure makes me want to pull my kid out of football!
    It's indeed very sad that he passed away at such a young age.

Many football players (or boxers or wrestlers) suffer from concussions. In our neighborhood is a young man, 22 years old, very tall and very strong, his dream was to become a professional football player and he was part of a team at school. However, he suffered from concussions, has now constant headaches and needs to be on medication. It's just something to think about.

exactly. I heard on the radio that the female wrestler who recently passed away has donated her brain for concussion/brain injury research. Very interesting.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Schools here are now making any player who they think have any type of head injuries (regardless how small...) must get cleared from their doctors via c-scan.
    So nice of those who are donating their bodies for research.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    exactly. I heard on the radio that the female wrestler who recently passed away has donated her brain for concussion/brain injury research. Very interesting.
    There is an interesting movie "Concussion", with Will Smith, talking about the true dangers those NFL players are exposed to:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concus...282015_film%29

And some more info:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion

I watched recently a documentation about it and found it scary and chilling.

Aruba since 1979
    this RIP got off topic

so here is its own thread re: football injuries

We have seen a big shift in our friends with younger kids from regular football to flag football in their early years while learning the sport. Some have told us they are seeing if their kids really love it before they left them play tackle.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

My son is 6 and will not be playing football, I played up till high school and sustained at least 2 concussions playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    My son is 6 and will not be playing football, I played up till high school and sustained at least 2 concussions playing.
    It definitely is a personal choice. I don't have kids and I'm glad I don't have to make the decision. I don't think I would hold a child out of any sport, but I would definitely be more aware and know what to look for. I love football and all competitive sports really. I think the leadership, work ethic, dedication, a teamwork I learned playing sports have helped me tremendously in my life. I want that for my nephew.

I was a competitive fast pitch softball player and had 1 concussion that I know of but it wasn't a big deal back then. The concussion I was playing catcher and had a collision at home plate - my mask and helmet were off waiting for the throw. Another serious injury was when I took a bad hop to the cheekbone playing 3rd base in front of the bag on a poorly maintained field. The batter hit a screamer and I was playing to keep it in front of me and it hit a rock or something. That was enough to get me back behind the plate for most of my playing career, and I have the knee injuries to prove it.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast