Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Football head injuries

Aruba since 1979
    my son played soccer and was a competitive swimmer and rode horses.
    believe it or not his injuries came from swimming .....

a head injury when he slammed into the wall on a backstroke turn...no concussion but 12 stitches and 2 shoulder injuries.

in good conscience i could not keep him out of a sport he loved.
    i am glad it was not football or hockey

we really could not afford his horse, and the boarding and the lessons, and the vet were more than our mortgage payment per month.
    it lasted 5 yrs.

a tough call.

there are downsides to all.

I agree to all. I played college soccer and had concussions playing soccer as well. Knowing what I know about CTE, I am thinking soccer is safer than football but probably not by a ton. If my son absolutely begged, I am sure I would break down and allow it. I guess I should have said it this way, I won't be pushing my son to play football like "daddy" did, he can play the international football like daddy, lol. I want the best for my twerp, like we all do.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 04-27-2016 at 10:36 PM.

I just saw a report last week on my local news about a company developing new technology to diagnose concussions on the field. It may not be a conclusive diagnosis, but shows/reports any unusual symptoms that could possibly be related to a concussion.

Looking forward to watching that movie "concussion" when I have a chance. Scared to, of course....

My daughter played softball thru grammar & high school including two competitive travel teams. As catcher she got a foul tip to the side of her head. Out cold - ambulance pulled onto the field and everything. Scared the hell out of me. Of course concussions were not as much of a worry as they are now.

I was at my Goddaughter's softball game yesterday - she's 14 - and I was VERY happy to see that all infield players were wearing face masks When Brianna was younger it was only the batters who had to wear masks and I always worried about the girls in the field - just like what Tracey was describing - you never know when that ball is going to pop into their faces.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Looking forward to watching that movie "concussion" when I have a chance. Scared to, of course....

My daughter played softball thru grammar & high school including two competitive travel teams. As catcher she got a foul tip to the side of her head. Out cold - ambulance pulled onto the field and everything. Scared the hell out of me. Of course concussions were not as much of a worry as they are now.

I was at my Goddaughter's softball game yesterday - she's 14 - and I was VERY happy to see that all infield players were wearing face masks When Brianna was younger it was only the batters who had to wear masks and I always worried about the girls in the field - just like what Tracey was describing - you never know when that ball is going to pop into their faces.
    I agree on the masks, Jacki. I was watching some college softball the other night and thought it was great to see a pitcher wearing protection. I saw a middle school pitcher get taken away in an ambulance because of a ball that came back at her and hit her in the face.

I guess with everything comes risk and reward. And finding that balance is always tough.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12