Aruba Beach
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: forum member CORONA needs your Prayers or Positive thoughts

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for the update!

progress=baby steps and that is good.

how is his speech?

why don't you write to senator kirk and compare notes, hints etc!

prayers!

Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    Progress seems unbearably slow, but if we look back to even a week ago, Rick's doing so much better. Most of the movement in his leg is from the hip, but we're feeling more muscle tension in his legs as he purposely contracts his muscles. Still not a lot with his arm, but that was expected to come later. He's off the thicken liquids now that his throat paralysis has subsided. That was a big step because Rick hated the stuff, and he has always been a big water drinker. We're looking at possibly a few more weeks in inpatient rehab, although as you might imagine, Rick would like to go home yesterday. With the help of a sling, since his left arm has no movement (he does have feeling though), he was able to take 11 steps using parallel bars as support. Those steps are using hip action, but that's a start, and will hopefully make make new pathways in the brain that he needs to use that left leg to walk. Mark Kirk, the senator from IL, started walking the same way after having a stroke due to a dissection of an artery in his neck, the same as Rick, a year ago. They're also the same age. His story sounds much like my husband's, except I believe his was more serious as he was in a medically induced coma, and had two or three surgeries following his stroke.

Again thank you so much for your continued support and prayers! And Andrea, Rick really appreciated the card you sent. It meant a lot to him. He wanted everyone to see it (his parents, nurses, etc).

His plan now is to get well enough that we're able to visit Aruba this summer when our boys are also available to go with us. I think it's a wonderful goal. We may have to adjust it, but he's such a strong and determined man, I won't rule it out.

Andrea, as far as his speech, it's terrific. The first few days, it was slightly slurred, sounding like he had just come home from the dentist after getting a shot of Novocaine, but we had no problem understanding him. I don't know if you've ever heard of foreign accent syndrome which is extremely rare, but some people, after a brain injury or stroke wake up talking with what sounds like a foreign accent. Well instead of a sexy foreign accent, Rick now sounds a lot like Ray Ramano (nasally/whiny, but in a good way). I recently read that a person who suffers a stroke will sometimes sound flat without the normal inflection in speech, so I think that's what's causing it. It's subsiding now, and his normal speaking voice is emerging. I'm noticing now that he's starting to repeat certain phrases, certain phrases (as an example), and asked him if he was aware of it. He said he was, but he wanted to make sure he got his point across. I'm sure it's a tic that will pass.

Rick has always been extremely witty, but he's also somewhat reserved. He's starting to settle down now, but through it all he had us in stitches with his comments. Everyone has been telling us to take notes of his observations. Add to his comments, complaints, etc, that Ray Ramano voice, he kept even the nurses in his room just to listen to him.

We've been reading a lot about Sen. Kirk's recovery since Rick's stroke mirrors his. That's a good idea to send an email to his office to offer Rick advice and encouragement. It's such a rare event for a relatively young person (in the world of strokes) who has been in such extraordinarily good health, that his recovery can't really be predicted by the averages.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Prayers on the way

I will keep the family in my prayers!

Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. Get well soon!
    Sean and Susan

First, I want to thank you all for your continued prayers and support. It has been a huge boost to Rick's morale to know so many people are in his corner pulling for his recovery.

For being so young for a stroke, and with no risk factors, he had a very serious stroke. While he's been in rehab, we've seen several much older individuals with so much less paralysis, which has been a real eye opener to just how much damage was done. Although, we also recognize that it could have been much worse without the immediate 911 call and expert care we were able to get for him since I was home when he had the stroke.

With that being said, he has starting making remarkable recovery. We're now seeing movement in his knee cap and thigh muscle leading to his knee as he flexes his leg while laying down. He also is now able to move his arm to his body using his shoulder muscles, again, while laying down. His chewing, speech and facial paralysis is almost non existent, but that was one area that wasn't too badly effected in the first place.

He may be coming home late next week, but that could change to a later date. After that, we'll have a couple of weeks of in home rehab followed by several months of outpatient therapy.

Without all the prayers and support he has received, there is no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't have made this progress.
    Next Aruba trip in

So glad to hear he has made such promising progress. Obviously the love and support from you and your family has been key. We continue to keep you both in our thoughts and prayers.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks kellie for the message, both the private and this one.

you said he is doing some reading.

hope that he can get a chance to visit this thread.

wishing you both well and of course many prayers!!

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    So glad to hear the continued progress. I will continue to include thoughts and prayers for you both. Stay strong and hope he is able to make it home soon as sometimes that is the best medicine of all.

We're very excited that Rick will be coming home from in patient rehab next week. It will have been just over a month since his stroke. He's made some really fantastic progress. With assistance, he's able to walk up and down four steps on the practice stairs in therapy. His left knee and ankle are still extremely weak, but he's able to put more weight on his leg everyday. We're also seeing more muscle tone in his arm everyday, but not a lot of movement yet. We'll have two weeks of in home therapy followed by out patient therapy for as long as it takes at a rehab facility that has an excellent reputation for great results for people with brain injuries and strokes specifically.

Again...THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH...for your prayers and support! We hope to be enjoying the Aruban sun and fun sometime in 2013. Our goal is to make it this summer when our kids can join us.
    Next Aruba trip in

Aruba since 1979
    excellent news!

tell rick we are all rootin' for him and wishing him much progress and steady recovery.

is he getting itchy to get outta there?

with many positive vibes and prayers heading to you fine folks!
    Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    We're very excited that Rick will be coming home from in patient rehab next week. It will have been just over a month since his stroke. He's made some really fantastic progress. With assistance, he's able to walk up and down four steps on the practice stairs in therapy. His left knee and ankle are still extremely weak, but he's able to put more weight on his leg everyday. We're also seeing more muscle tone in his arm everyday, but not a lot of movement yet. We'll have two weeks of in home therapy followed by out patient therapy for as long as it takes at a rehab facility that has an excellent reputation for great results for people with brain injuries and strokes specifically.

Again...THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH...for your prayers and support! We hope to be enjoying the Aruban sun and fun sometime in 2013. Our goal is to make it this summer when our kids can join us.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast