Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: forum member CORONA needs your Prayers or Positive thoughts

Thanks for the update. Continued prayers and thoughts coming your way!

I'm sorry, but I just read this. I hope all is going well. Sending prayers!

Thank you all again for all your prayers and support as we struggle(d) through Rick's stroke and recovery. It's been a roller coaster of emotions, but we're starting to see great gains in his ability to walk, and I wanted to share our good news with you.

He has a monthly evaluation with his rehab therapists, and in just under a month since his last eval, he's passing all the goals they set for him. For instance, in a timed walk with a single point cane, he was able to increase his distance from 350 feet to 850 feet with just 400 feet being their goal for him at this point. In three months he went from wheelchair with no feeling in left leg, to a side walker putting very little to no weight on his left leg, to a quad cane, and now to a regular cane. He has all movements in his leg now, so it's just a matter of rebuilding his muscles.

He had lost the left half of his vision in both eyes, but has now regained some, maybe a lot. His eyestrain continues to lessen, although he still sometimes misses the words on the page. He'll be going in for a field of vision test soon. His neurologist said he could continue to see some improvement up to six months.

The biggest lag is with his arm/hand recovery. We've been assured that it's normal. His therapists all think he has a very good chance of at the minimum of regaining functional recovery if not 100%, while his neurologist has warned us that he may not regain much more back since we've passed the three month benchmark. I had a couple sleepless nights after that remark , but Rick is determined to recover. We have our own e stim (electonic tens stimulator for home use), and he also goes in early or stays late at therapy to get an extra workout on a machine that has him hooked up to twelve electrodes to help stimulate all the muscles from his fingers to his back & chest.

We're hoping that we might make it back to the beautiful beaches of Aruba sometime in the fall. I hope you don't mind me saying again just how much you've all helped us between your prayers and well wishes.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Aruba since 1979
    WOnderful
    thank you so much for including us all in the updates.

God works in mysterious ways.
    Many good wishes to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    Thank you all again for all your prayers and support as we struggle(d) through Rick's stroke and recovery. It's been a roller coaster of emotions, but we're starting to see great gains in his ability to walk, and I wanted to share our good news with you.

He has a monthly evaluation with his rehab therapists, and in just under a month since his last eval, he's passing all the goals they set for him. For instance, in a timed walk with a single point cane, he was able to increase his distance from 350 feet to 850 feet with just 400 feet being their goal for him at this point. In three months he went from wheelchair with no feeling in left leg, to a side walker putting very little to no weight on his left leg, to a quad cane, and now to a regular cane. He has all movements in his leg now, so it's just a matter of rebuilding his muscles.

He had lost the left half of his vision in both eyes, but has now regained some, maybe a lot. His eyestrain continues to lessen, although he still sometimes misses the words on the page. He'll be going in for a field of vision test soon. His neurologist said he could continue to see some improvement up to six months.

The biggest lag is with his arm/hand recovery. We've been assured that it's normal. His therapists all think he has a very good chance of at the minimum of regaining functional recovery if not 100%, while his neurologist has warned us that he may not regain much more back since we've passed the three month benchmark. I had a couple sleepless nights after that remark , but Rick is determined to recover. We have our own e stim (electonic tens stimulator for home use), and he also goes in early or stays late at therapy to get an extra workout on a machine that has him hooked up to twelve electrodes to help stimulate all the muscles from his fingers to his back & chest.

We're hoping that we might make it back to the beautiful beaches of Aruba sometime in the fall. I hope you don't mind me saying again just how much you've all helped us between your prayers and well wishes.

We always love to hear good news! Go Rick go!

That's great news. Thank you for taking the time to update. We will keep your family in our prayers as the healing continues, and hope that you get back to Aruba in the Fall.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Great news for Rick and your family. Rick sounds like a very strong and determined individual and that is why he is exceeding his goals, good for him!!!! Keep up the great work Rick we are all pulling for you

You go rick,, keep up the good work

Aruba since 1979
    wondering how rick and kellie (aka corona) are doing?
    hope they post an update soon

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    wondering how rick and kellie (aka corona) are doing?
    hope they post an update soon
    Hi Aruban Lovers,

I'm so sorry I haven't updated for a while. I have to admit to feeling blue and asking why and then feeling guilty when I know it could be so much worse. I signed on last night to read everyone's encouraging messages, and they were very uplifting, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

We've had some really fantastic improvements. Rick is walking so much better, and even though he still wears a below the knee brace and walks with a limp, he doesn't have to use his cane very often now. It's mostly a matter of his muscles getting stronger. He's only scheduled for four more physical therapy sessions and then we'll go to a personal trainer. His eyesight seems to be near normal. He had a field of vision test at the neurologist's office yesterday, although we won't know for sure how much he's gotten back until next week when we get the results.

Our biggest trial still is regaining use of his arm/hand back. On top of that, he's having chronic shoulder pain. His occupational therapist was working with range of motion and stretching him week before last, when the pain caused a bad reaction. Rick's eyes were open in a stare, but he was completely unresponsive. The therapists thought he was having a seizure brought on by pain, but I thought he'd had an aneurysm, or something of that nature. It was terrifying. The therapists told me later that they were scared too, but have been trained to hide that emotion. They were great. The rehab hospital is part of a regular hospital, so we took him directly to the ER after he came to, and a CT scan showed no additional brain damage. The next rehab appointment, his OT said she thought, after talking with colleagues, that it was a "vasovagal syncope" in response to pain. It's sort of a fancy name for passing out. She'd never seen anyone have that response with eyes opened, but another OT had. When we saw his neurologist a few days later to see if he needed further testing (EEG), he agreed that it sounded more like the vasovagal response, so no further testing was required. That was a huge relief. However, we're still left with Rick losing range of motion due to his muscles getting tight due to the pain with movement. He feels like if he can't use it, at least it shouldn't be causing him all this pain.

Today is a day off from therapy and doctors' appointments, so we spent the morning going through our at home exercises. This afternoon, we're going to a nearby park to take a nice walk around a lake. Rick has a hiking stick that he uses now, and it's made a huge difference when he's walking on uneven ground.

Sometimes, I have to be reminded to count our blessings, and the support and prayers we've received from all of you is one of those blessings. Thank you!!
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast