Aruba Beach
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: forum member CORONA needs your Prayers or Positive thoughts

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    That must have been a frightening experience. Hopefully, it was only this one setback. Wishing your husband a full recovery, just taking it step by step. And don't forget, to take care of yourself, it can be very demanding to be a caregiver.

All the best to both of you!

Aruba since 1979
    scary event
    but, i am so glad to hear that rick is making progress
    you 2 need a break....i hope that you can sneak away for a few days of R and R this summer.

re: the range of motion
    please ask the therapist and trainer about water exercise.
    and acupuncture.

thanks for posting and hugs to you both!!

Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    Hi Aruban Lovers,

I'm so sorry I haven't updated for a while. I have to admit to feeling blue and asking why and then feeling guilty when I know it could be so much worse. I signed on last night to read everyone's encouraging messages, and they were very uplifting, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

We've had some really fantastic improvements. Rick is walking so much better, and even though he still wears a below the knee brace and walks with a limp, he doesn't have to use his cane very often now. It's mostly a matter of his muscles getting stronger. He's only scheduled for four more physical therapy sessions and then we'll go to a personal trainer. His eyesight seems to be near normal. He had a field of vision test at the neurologist's office yesterday, although we won't know for sure how much he's gotten back until next week when we get the results.

Our biggest trial still is regaining use of his arm/hand back. On top of that, he's having chronic shoulder pain. His occupational therapist was working with range of motion and stretching him week before last, when the pain caused a bad reaction. Rick's eyes were open in a stare, but he was completely unresponsive. The therapists thought he was having a seizure brought on by pain, but I thought he'd had an aneurysm, or something of that nature. It was terrifying. The therapists told me later that they were scared too, but have been trained to hide that emotion. They were great. The rehab hospital is part of a regular hospital, so we took him directly to the ER after he came to, and a CT scan showed no additional brain damage. The next rehab appointment, his OT said she thought, after talking with colleagues, that it was a "vasovagal syncope" in response to pain. It's sort of a fancy name for passing out. She'd never seen anyone have that response with eyes opened, but another OT had. When we saw his neurologist a few days later to see if he needed further testing (EEG), he agreed that it sounded more like the vasovagal response, so no further testing was required. That was a huge relief. However, we're still left with Rick losing range of motion due to his muscles getting tight due to the pain with movement. He feels like if he can't use it, at least it shouldn't be causing him all this pain.

Today is a day off from therapy and doctors' appointments, so we spent the morning going through our at home exercises. This afternoon, we're going to a nearby park to take a nice walk around a lake. Rick has a hiking stick that he uses now, and it's made a huge difference when he's walking on uneven ground.

Sometimes, I have to be reminded to count our blessings, and the support and prayers we've received from all of you is one of those blessings. Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    That must have been a frightening experience. Hopefully, it was only this one setback. Wishing your husband a full recovery, just taking it step by step. And don't forget, to take care of yourself, it can be very demanding to be a caregiver.

Thanks, CK1. Good advice! I ran out this morning and got a long overdue pedicure. I kept putting it off, but with my son being home for the summer from college and not working until 2 today, I thought if I didn't do it now, I never would. My heels feel so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    scary event
    but, i am so glad to hear that rick is making progress
    you 2 need a break....i hope that you can sneak away for a few days of R and R this summer.

re: the range of motion
    please ask the therapist and trainer about water exercise.
    and acupuncture.

thanks for posting and hugs to you both!!
    Thank you so much for your continued support, Andrea. We saw Rick's PT Doctor today and she said that he has Complex Regional Pain Syndrome stage 1 to 2. His range of motion is limited do to the pain, but when pain is taken out of the picture, while he doesn't have 100% movement now, it's not locked. She's increasing the nerve pain meds he's on, putting him on steroids for week (she gave him a steroid shot in his shoulder last month, but it didn't help much), and she prescribed him lidocaine patches, besides the extra pain therapy he's getting from the occupational therapist. She put a patch on him in her office, and it seems to be helping with the pain significantly. We also bought a home TENS/E Stim unit to use for pain and to stimulate his muscles in his arm/hand/ankle on the days were home last month, and it seems to help a little.

He had an x-ray of his shoulder last week, and there's no other issues going on. We're attacking this hard in every direction. I asked her about acupuncture, and she's all for it, and has a local holistic group she refers patients to. She said she wouldn't recommend it just now, but as we get the pain more under control, she would like to see us try it. We're all for it, so thank you for the great advice. We're going to talk to his OT about water therapy. They have it at the rehab hospital he goes to, so it might be something they'll want to try with him.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Kellie - don't ever apologize for feeling blue, you and Rick have been and are going thru such a lot. Of course you have been so strong for Rick that at some time it was going to hit you hard. I am glad Rick is doing better and hopefully that issue he had was because they overworked his arm and he reacted to such terrible pain. I hope you enjoyed your walk with Rick around the lake and just try to focus on how far Rick has come so quickly and how determined he is. Our thoughts continue to be with you both and thanks for updating your forum friends. Stay strong we are all routing for Rick!

I hope you all don't mind me bumping up this thread again by posting, but I wanted to give you a quick update. Gosh, it's so very hard to believe that it's been eight months since the stroke. I had both high hopes that by this point in time, Rick would be back to near 100% but fears that he wouldn't be able to walk again. It's weird that I had both feelings, but I guess it's because this was all so unbelievable to us that it happened. He still has a lot of healing to do, but he's actually doing very well. He still needs to use a cane and/or leg brace, and walks slow and probably no more than 1 1/2 miles at a time comfortably, but he's walking so much better. With his brace, he's able to place his heel down first when he step, which is such a major milestone in recovery. He wasn't able to move his ankle until about a month ago or so, and his rehab doctor said he was her first patient that was able to achieve that this long after a stroke. If you're not able to do that, your foot just drops with each step. While that's still better than not walking at all, it's going to allow him to continue to recover a more normal gait and to walk greater distances. He's gaining small amounts of function in his arm, and tiny movements in his fingers. He's still not able to do anything with his arm yet, but he's never giving up trying to get some functional use. He's seeing a personal trainer now through the rehab hospital who specializes in brain injury recovery, and she really puts him through the paces. Her assistant calls her a beast. She's absolutely amazing, and we love her. (He says he graduated with flying colors from physical therapy having scored a perfect score on his assessment. But, he says, he got booted out of occupational therapy because he wasn't making progress with his arm. He keeps his good sense of humor. I worked with the OT's and they helped me learn all the exercises that might help him regain arm function, and we have equipment at home, so they really didn't show him the door without an exercise plan.)

Our tentative plan to visit Aruba this fall has been delayed a little, but we're hoping to make it there in late winter, sometime after the new year. We haven't booked anything yet, but I feel pretty confident that it'll work out then.

I'll always be so grateful to all of you for your prayers and support. Thank you!
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Aruba since 1979
    Sending many good thoughts and prayers.
    Imagine something like being heel down first in a step being so very important.
    Pls tell him to keep up the good work.
    Many hugs !!

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Even if things did not improve the way you hoped for after eight months, your husband is still equipped with the most important tools: a strong will and a good humor! And his "better half" on his side!

I wish you very much that things are much better by next year when you hopefully enjoy such a special occasion on Aruba. Just brick by brick or step by step.

Aruba will always be there.

I am glad you two will have the opportunity to share time together on the island once again.

So glad to hear of Rick's positive progress! Hope to hear soon that you are booking your trip.

Later winter in Aruba sounds like a great plan!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast