Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Good news/Bad news

  1. #1
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,494

    Good news/Bad news

    Well the good news is we found the exact house we have been looking for, in the right location at a price about $20K lower than we expected with an amazing interest rate.

    The bad news is, the seller wants closing to be during the week we are supposed to be in Aruba. This is our first home and after speaking with our lender and our realtor, looks like we will not be in Aruba for our anniversary this year.

    We weren't planning on buying anything till January or February, but we just can't pass this up. We are beyond excited to be purchasing our first home. I am guessing we will lose our airfare. 'm going to call the trip insurance people to see if there is any hope, but we didn't have cancel for any reason, so I doubt it. Flights were on Delta so the change fee will probably eat up any credit we had.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  2. #2
    Senior Member DiviDiviFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    Posts
    1,824
    Congrats and good luck on your new house! I'm sure you are sad you cannot be in Aruba but this is a pretty important reason to miss out. There are many more times to visit Aruba so just keep that in mind. Hopefully you will have your airfare credit and you can visit Aruba in a years time to not miss out too much. Congrats again! Very excited for you. If you have to miss out on your trip it is much easier to have the reason be a happy one than a sad one.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,177

    Thumbs up Congratulations

    Other trips to Aruba will come and go, but there will only be one "first" home. Aruba will always be there!

    Definitely phone Delta about changing your tickets for the $150 per ticket.


  4. #4
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,494

    Thanks

    We really are super excited about the house and we know Aruba will always be there.

    I thought the change fee for international on Delta said it was $250, either way it is worth a phone call. I am probably going to wait a few weeks to cancel anything just to make sure we dont' have any hiccups with the home inspection or financing or anything unexpected.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    29,920
    [B]wonderful news!!!
    there will be so many other opportunities for aruba.......but a house, with the mortgage rate good and everything else.........grab that rate, enjoy your home and book aruba for another time!!!

    /B]
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Well the good news is we found the exact house we have been looking for, in the right location at a price about $20K lower than we expected with an amazing interest rate.

    The bad news is, the seller wants closing to be during the week we are supposed to be in Aruba. This is our first home and after speaking with our lender and our realtor, looks like we will not be in Aruba for our anniversary this year.

    We weren't planning on buying anything till January or February, but we just can't pass this up. We are beyond excited to be purchasing our first home. I am guessing we will lose our airfare. 'm going to call the trip insurance people to see if there is any hope, but we didn't have cancel for any reason, so I doubt it. Flights were on Delta so the change fee will probably eat up any credit we had.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    216
    The interest rates have been low for a while now and it looks like they will remain low @ least for the next few months. I have bought and sold many homes in my life. I would counter with a closing date the day before or the day after you return. I would not let the seller strong arm you into a particular week.

    I was super excited when purchasing my first home too. I would push back or tell him/her to keep the house if they do not want to work with you. That is what I would do.

    Good luck

  7. #7
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl60621 View Post
    The interest rates have been low for a while now and it looks like they will remain low @ least for the next few months. I have bought and sold many homes in my life. I would counter with a closing date the day before or the day after you return. I would not let the seller strong arm you into a particular week.

    I was super excited when purchasing my first home too. I would push back or tell him/her to keep the house if they do not want to work with you. That is what I would do.

    Good luck
    Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it, but for our situation it is best that we just wait for a spring trip after the move and settle in period.

    We tried to get it before our trip, but with Thanksgiving holidays our lender said it wasn't a good idea to push it. Plus I am not sure I could completely relax not knowing what was going on at home and knowing we would be coming home to stress of moving. Now, it is Aruba, so I'm pretty sure I could find a way to relax but I'm one of those Type A people, always needs to have everything under control.
    After our trip wasn't an option, as the seller requested the date as part of his counter offer and was not going to take our offer if we didn't accept one of the dates he requested. According to our realtor (a relative I trust completely), the inventory in our area that met our criteria is pretty low right now. To us, the house is worth it.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    216
    Okay, good luck. I just hate to hear that you guys gotta miss ARUBA. I was pulling for you!

    To bad u gotta be present @ closing. Wish there was another way.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl60621 View Post
    Okay, good luck. I just hate to hear that you guys gotta miss ARUBA. I was pulling for you!

    To bad u gotta be present @ closing. Wish there was another way.
    Don't feel too bad for us, we were just there in February this year, and we will definitely be back soon!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

  10. #10
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    3,893
    Great news on the house.... I remember the excitement and the anxiety over my first home.... it's all gonna work out great... and as Arubalisa said:

    "Other trips to Aruba will come and go, but there will only be one "first" home. Aruba will always be there! "


    Your are doing the right thing... congratulations!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO