Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grocery store prices in USA

Aruba since 1979

grocery store prices in USA

OMgosh, have any of you been blindsided by the costs of groceries here in the USA or Canada?

I had to finally do a big order and came away spending about 25% more than normal for that kind of a shopping order.

Dole bag of Caesar salad kit $4.27 (i put it back and got a pkg or romaine instead) and the romaine was $3.50

bananas 87 cents a lb

simply orange juice 2 for $7

1 gallon skim milk $4.39

1 blue bell half gallon ice cream $7.29

i came home with 3 bags and spent $102

the only meat i got was a pork loin roast at $2.19 lb

granted, it is only paul and i and we can buy lots of our produce at the roadside stand near the house.........but jeesh, how are folks affording this and the gas increases?

Dh and I had the same conversation today.

Six bags, including Mother's day cards, no beef, but one whole chicken to rotissiere, $90. Chicken thighs at Publix were three times the prics we pay at Costco.

Iinflation= increased gasoline prices, higher health care insurance costs, pay cuts through furlough...

Aruba since 1979
    ridiculous.

going to put us into another recession.

and i still have a major grocery order to buy.

maybe a trip to sams and aldis will be better ...tomorrow.

Boca Prins, Mangel Halto & just about any spot with my little family.
    Be glad you are not back in the northeast. It's ABSURD here! I spent $120 for groceries for my husband and I! The only fruit I bought were bananas & the only meat was ground turkey, premade turkey burgers (one of our favorite quick dinners), & a rotisserie chicken which happened to be on speical due to the holiday. This will last us a week and did not include things like paper towels, TP etc, just food. Since we had Dylan, we don't go out to eat but maybe once a month so our grocery bill has basically doubled. Gas is now up to about $4.17 per gallon here in CT. Sad state of affairs here. Thank goodness we were not fuloughed a few weeks ago then we would have been in trouble.

Welcome to the world of inflation. Given the devaluation of the dollar, I can't help but wonder if Aruba will change their policy on having their currency pegged to the dollar, or change to another currency to avoid the same problems we're experiencing.

Unhappy

I know this won't help. And I don't mean this in a "mean" way but you will find it hard to get sympathy from out side the USA. Your prices are still MUCH cheaper than probably every where else in the world (including Canada) Think how we feel in Alberta, we get the oil product out of the ground just a few miles away and still have always paid WAY more than you do for gasoline. And groceries/liquor we won't even go there. My Mum lives in New Zealand and she just rolls her eyes at us when we complain about the same things.

Sorry I know it doesn't help but............BTW everything is going up here recently also, including 25% at my local discount grocery chain

I quit eating and now drink only !!!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

oh, sorry i do eat jello shots....Ha, you laugh but jello has protein in it,,,,,
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    i paid $5.49 for a bag of DOLE SPRING MIX salad tonight.
    disgusting.

I know the price of groceries have gone way up, but I never really paid attention to the price of EVERY item in my cart until my grocery store started giving us hand held scanners when we walk in. We scan every item we buy, and immediately bag it. This way our groceries are already bagged when we get to the cashier, and all we have to do is give her our scanner, pay and we're done. But it's eye-opening...a single tomatoe $3.19!! I'm starting my own vegetable garden this year!! Andrea, I can't believe half gallon of ice cream $7!!! It's out of control!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast