Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Health Insurance

Aruba since 1979
    i agree Gaby with all that you say Gaby, but I do think that taxes would need to increase some for all of the usa citizens to be covered. Canadians for example pay a higher tax don't they for their national insurance?

I think when more folks in the USA get fed up and congress inundated with complaints and folks choosing NOT to buy into plans there will be a revolt of sorts.

I dunno though ...ithe situation is just ridiculous and it is time for congress to act for us "we the people".
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Andrea, in alot of countries they will insure their citizens. Here, if you are not a citizen, unemployed, can't afford medical, we will insure you at no cost to you but inflict the cost to the rest of the people (by way of higher medical costs). That is why other countries can afford to do it and we can't. They will not insure you unless you are a citizen. At least that's what my friend's daughter went through in Canada when she got married & moved there. She had to wait to be insured (even though her husband is a dr). The only money the government has to do these things is our money. Though if we stopped giving our money to other countries to help them for a minimum of 5 years, we all could have free medical insurance and low taxes and no homelessness. but alas, that is not to be.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    you are right, taxes are high in Canada, their sales tax is ridiculous. people talk about "FREE" health care in other places but its not really free. you are paying for it. but we need to take care of our citizens first and foremost. that's where we tend to get distracted in this country. look at our veterans, it disgusts me how they are treated. we should be ashamed of ourselves. we worry about everyone else in this world but those that gave us our freedoms and are suffering now. them we could care less about. don't get me started, I have to quit now because I am getting angry. Veterans, our citizens and animals should be our priority, not refugees or illegals. Sorry, that's how I feel.

Aruba since 1979
    anger is productive if used appropriately.
    do not be sorry

you are saying what most are saying.

digging ourselves out of this hole that we as a society created is unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    you are right, taxes are high in Canada, their sales tax is ridiculous. people talk about "FREE" health care in other places but its not really free. you are paying for it. but we need to take care of our citizens first and foremost. that's where we tend to get distracted in this country. look at our veterans, it disgusts me how they are treated. we should be ashamed of ourselves. we worry about everyone else in this world but those that gave us our freedoms and are suffering now. them we could care less about. don't get me started, I have to quit now because I am getting angry. Veterans, our citizens and animals should be our priority, not refugees or illegals. Sorry, that's how I feel.

Please remind anyone that is on Marketplace Insurance, you only have to December 15th to get your application approved and pick a plan and submit. They shortened the sign up period this year. I cant figure out why more people are not complaining about all these health care changes? I remember when we were told you can keep your doctor and prices will stay the same or go down. Now its tier one and tier two, find a doctor and hospital on plan. Higher co-pays and deductibles. You have to give up something to have affordable premiums. Fight for your prescriptions to get approved via your doctor writing a letter. Its all so crazy. How do stupid people figure all this stuff out? I need an Aruba vacation to relax after figuring all this out!
    Sean and Susan

Here is hoping for another quick and painless 10 year approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    I think Toms immunosuppressants would be over $500 a month. When our insurance last changed we had to get a preapproval. Fortunately, they were quick and gave us an approval good for more than 10 years! Now well need to plan for another insurer next July and start all over. I do keep a 2 month backup supply so I dont need to stress as much if the paper work is time consuming.

Sadly there is no such thing as "free" health insurance as someone is paying for it...nothing in this world is free but air...People hope to get what they paid for and nothing more but with the waste in government at this point you are always "over paying" for your goods and services. Please read about or watch some of the videos on Milton Friedman...he will really break down economics at the most basic level, after viewing even someone who lacks a business mind will understand there is no free health care and many of the people who least need the care end of paying for it for others....nothing in this world is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I signed on to my the health Insurance Marketplace today to sign up for 2018.
    My Florida Blue silver plan has increased 80+% for 2018. From $745 to $1390 p month. I am disgusted. It kind of put a damper on my usually bright and cheery attitude today. The folks that lost their subsidy have it even worse than me.
    That is quite a jump. It is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    That stinks Andrea! I can't imagine paying that much for a single plan....I had a figure in my head what insurance will cost us if we needed to purchase it on our own after retirement and my figures were somewhat inaccurate....I better save some more cash or just spend it all so the government will pay for me, lol
    Jay, you better starting planning now.

The health insurance crisis is here to stay I am afraid. Many of us who are retired but worked until 70 still have taken hits. My husband was a city employee and instead of covering our secondary health insurance they provide us with a HRA (health reimbursement plan) . He retired Oct 1 2016 and he was told we would get a certain amount each month for each of us. Then the new year came and they reduced the amount by $110.00 each month and starting this year I will not have any reimbursement allotment. They have also reduced the amount of the HRA by another $119.00 per month. Probably next year we will get nothing. In the past city employees have always had the best retirement benefits. They never told us when we met with OPERS that the original allotment for the HRA would be changing each year. Imagine that. Everyone is having a tough time but some more than others. We all worked hard to receive our retirement benefits but they are slowly dwindling. For all of you that are not retirement age you had better plan ahead.
    Last edited by Sue M.; 11-04-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Open enrollment for me at work. Price went up. Again. I was only paying $35.00 per pay period (best policy with huge deduction.. $3500 and was paying the low cost for being there for a very long time.) up to $90.00 . Then the dental went up. Canceled it. Crappy one now.
    I can go to Aruba and get my teeth clean and a filling cheaper. No spouse allow for the medical part
    Lou has Humana Gold with a Diabetic plan... does cover out of the country. Just didn't like that they changed doctor on us. But now found one I like who actually "cares" for his patients. We were blessed it covered a lot of his open heart. He has a very low deduction too.

It's very scary with these. For long term medicaid nursing home a single person can have no more then $1090.00 total assets. If you have a prepaid burial put it in someone else's name and you as the ben,
    A married couple is allow to have $109,000.00 total assets. One must put all their life savings into another's name 3 yrs prior to long term nursing including your home.
    This is so sad cause one works so hard all their life and now have to give it back.
    We have folks that are paying private pay cause of this. A cost in a nursing home is $$$$. and most are crappy too.
    Last edited by brady bear; 11-04-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast