Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Health Insurance

98% of the "problem children" in the school system I teach in come from homes that are 99% of the problem. I am with you Andrea, the parents or lack there of...are the issue. Sadly some people are not fit to raise themselves and they have kids of their own...and it never ends well for anyone.

If universal health care meant I paid less overall same quality of care you could sign me up tomorrow....(Yes I realize its free but my taxes go up to pay for it....so if my total cost goes down you have my vote for sure)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    In theory it sounds interesting.
    In reality ..... not so
    much.

I am a huge proponent of public education.
    Also a huge advocate of universal healthcare for all.

this country cannot get either done correctly .
    Re: education I do believe 90% of the blame goes to lackadaisical parents.

And cp ...... why not indeed?
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 11-09-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    I have never had children but the majority of my taxes goes to education, which is ironic since most of these kids can't multiply in their heads without a computer. Yet my money goes to their education. I think if you don't have kids or your kids are adults and out of the system, then your portion of taxes should be rebated back to you towards healthcare.
    Although we don't have children, I want to live in an area with a good school system. I used to feel like it was unfair to be taxed for services I don't use, but someone pointed out to me that these kids would someday be my doctor or financial advisor, or some other profession I will rely on. That point has stuck with me. A good school system will also keep our property values up and employ many of our friends and neighbors.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    All I know is I will be in a store and its 25% off of $20 and these kids stand there trying to figure it out and have to get their calculators on their phones out. I don't know about you but I sure don't want them to be my financial advisor, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    If universal health care meant I paid less overall same quality of care you could sign me up tomorrow....(Yes I realize its free but my taxes go up to pay for it....so if my total cost goes down you have my vote for sure)
    That sounds awesome - my biggest problem (in general with regard to politics) is how do you trust that what they say is what will happen? How does one actually put that vote down?
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

All I know is I will be in a store and its 25% off of $20 and these kids stand there trying to figure it out and have to get their calculators on their phones out. I don't know about you but I sure don't want them to be my financial advisor, lol...
    LOL!! Exactly! This will make me sound old (which I am) but when I was in high school I had a job at our local Walgreens after school. The cash registers we had at the time did not calculate change so you had to do it yourself (no calculators either.) I would like to see any kid that same age do that today without a calculator. LOL!
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

[QUOTE=Aruba4ever;325147]98% of the "problem children" in the school system I teach in come from homes that are 99% of the problem. I am with you Andrea, the parents or lack there of...are the issue. Sadly some people are not fit to raise themselves and they have kids of their own...and it never ends well for anyone.

After 30 years teaching elementary special education in an urban setting, I totally agree with you!!!!

Gaby and Amy-Using technology is what the kids are being taught. Over the years curriculum has changed to embrace technology and try to move all kids toward college without really taking into account real life skills. Years ago, they stopped teaching how to address an envelope and Common Core does not include handwriting. Once education became political, things have gotten worse.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    But the point is they aren't being taught how to do it. They are being taught how to allow some technological device do it. They don't really know it on their own. They need to be taught the basics. When you can't figure out 20 or 25 % of something on your own, there is a problem. That is basic, common sense. They are teaching kids to be lazy and not to think for themselves. That is probably why so many kids don't even understand consequences cause they skip over the thinking side of things.

Wanna see a kid go cross-eyed? Ask them what the Dewey Decimal System is...

Never take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive!!

Believe me I know. I didn't say I agree with the changes-I don't. They want kids to "think deeper" but not smarter.

But the point is they aren't being taught how to do it. They are being taught how to allow some technological device do it. They don't really know it on their own. They need to be taught the basics. When you can't figure out 20 or 25 % of something on your own, there is a problem. That is basic, common sense. They are teaching kids to be lazy and not to think for themselves. That is probably why so many kids don't even understand consequences cause they skip over the thinking side of things.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456