Aruba Beach

Thread: hurricanes

Aruba since 1979

hurricanes

lisa had mentioned that "this time" the powers that be, are allowing folks to take their pets with them while evacuating. good news!

those of us that have pets......can you imagine having to leave your loved one(s) behind ?
    i would not go.
    i would ride it out with my animals.

but, this time they are able to bring their pets!
    god help those that are in the path

and then there's "hanna"

Thumbs up

Yes, this is why my parents, foolishly ride out Cat. 3 hurricanes. They will board their dog to go on vacation but they will not come to our home and board their dog at our vets (we have 7 cats, like mixing oil and vinegar ). I also think my Dad is too stubborn and thinks nothing will ever happen to him and he wants to be there to defend his property, always assuming the worst of people.

The folks in N.O. REALLY learned a lesson the hard way and I am happy that you brought up this subject Andrea. The first thing I saw when I turned on TV this a.m. was a reporter standing with the kennels stacked up behind her interviewing a man who was taking his dog with him on the bus. He did not leave last time because he could not take his dog with him.

The animal shelter in N.O. began evacuating their animals last Thursday. About half an hour ago an air conditioned tractor trailer left N.O.'s main bus terminal with 500 animals who belonged to the rescue, police and other administrators staying behind.

As to Hanna, my parents and other relatives are leaving out of Miami on a 4 night cruise tomorrow. Cruise lines do not put their passengers in harms way so the ship will go where the hurricane is not. They also do not allow passengers to cancel is the ship still sails. I have been following the storm since it was a "wave" off of the coast of Africa and the predictions for it's path have been awfully eractic (sp?). IF Hanna hits on the Georgia coast as it is now predicted (using that term loosely 'cause it is still many days before landfall), and continues directly inland it will come into an area which is suffering from the worst stage of drought. Our area is next to worst. Any rain would certainly be welcome by us. We could take the pressure off of Florida and the Gulf coast.

Most important, every stays safe.

Aruba since 1979
    i am shocked that yur dad and mom will not do the wise and obvious thing...........drive to your house, and let their dog stay at your veterinarian kennel.
    parents! argh.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Yes, this is why my parents, foolishly ride out Cat. 3 hurricanes. They will board their dog to go on vacation but they will not come to our home and board their dog at our vets (we have 7 cats, like mixing oil and vinegar ). I also think my Dad is too stubborn and thinks nothing will ever happen to him and he wants to be there to defend his property, always assuming the worst of people.

The folks in N.O. REALLY learned a lesson the hard way and I am happy that you brought up this subject Andrea. The first thing I saw when I turned on TV this a.m. was a reporter standing with the kennels stacked up behind her interviewing a man who was taking his dog with him on the bus. He did not leave last time because he could not take his dog with him.

The animal shelter in N.O. began evacuating their animals last Thursday. About half an hour ago an air conditioned tractor trailer left N.O.'s main bus terminal with 500 animals who belonged to the rescue, police and other administrators staying behind.

As to Hanna, my parents and other relatives are leaving out of Miami on a 4 night cruise tomorrow. Cruise lines do not put their passengers in harms way so the ship will go where the hurricane is not. They also do not allow passengers to cancel is the ship still sails. I have been following the storm since it was a "wave" off of the coast of Africa and the predictions for it's path have been awfully eractic (sp?). IF Hanna hits on the Georgia coast as it is now predicted (using that term loosely 'cause it is still many days before landfall), and continues directly inland it will come into an area which is suffering from the worst stage of drought. Our area is next to worst. Any rain would certainly be welcome by us. We could take the pressure off of Florida and the Gulf coast.

Most important, every stays safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i am shocked that yur dad and mom will not do the wise and obvious thing...........drive to your house, and let their dog stay at your veterinarian kennel.
    parents! argh.

andrea
    Yes , they were very lucky during Francis 105 mph sustained winds and in the middle of the storm one of their solar panels came loose and crashed through one of the windows in their family room. Ultimately they suffered many downed trees, heavy damage to their pool's screen enclosure and though they did not lose their roof, it was later "condemned" by the county and replaced at a cost of $48,000 (some special concrete barrel tiles required by their homeowner's association). Luckily their insurance covered it, but their policy was then cancelled. A friend's husband said, "good". Basically what they deserved for living in Florida. Imagine if everyone moved from hurricane prone areas, tornadoe prone areas, earthquake prone areas...heck the Mississippi flood plain...!

Evacuated pets arrive in Atlanta "115 dogs and cats from the East Lake Animal Shelter in Jefferson Parrish, La"

Ah Hanna, she is another storm on an uncertain path but surely will stay away from Aruba. If she stays on the yellow line, would bring us and other areas who are under an "extreme" drought, some much needed rainfall.

Arubalisa, Where exactly do you live ??? My cousin lives in Atlanta and I feel bad because everytime I get an email he c/o about the lack of rain....We have also had trouble with no rain....everything is brown. We have a farm and for some unknown reason my husband decided not to plant ANY crops this year....(last year we lost 2--5 acres fields of sweet corn d/t racoons)....so at least we didn't suffer any monetary losses this summer...But, I digress.....God Bless the folks that have to ride these storms out......We will pray for them...
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Now I feel worse because you cannot plant crops.

We live about an hour north of "the ATL".
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=cumming,+ga&ie=UTF8&ll=3 4.266296,-84.144287&spn=1.089522,2.460938&t=h&z=9

In looking at that map you will see to the right of the pin, a large body of blue. That is our Lake Lanier, the main water source for the ATL metro area. http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/5875628.jpg is what a lake looks like when it is 17 feet below full level.