Aruba Beach

Thread: Iced wines

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River

Iced wines

We just returned from Niagria falls visiting several wineries. We tried iced wines and fell in love with them. At 60-80 a bottle we won't be buying to many. Anyone out there had them and did you buy them in the US ?

Never tried it, but I am sure I would love it.

Sounds yummy.....What kind of wines were they....red, white,,,rosa....
    Have had Xmas wines that you heat and add a cinnamon stick to ...those are yummy too....Hey, is there a theme going here ???
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    Sounds yummy.....What kind of wines were they....red, white,,,rosa....
    Have had Xmas wines that you heat and add a cinnamon stick to ...those are yummy too....Hey, is there a theme going here ???
    ...they come in all of the above.

Sweet, strong/smooth flavor, viscous (almost a syrup). A dessert wine. $60-$80 for 0.375 liter....
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Iced wines are made when the grapes have frozen on the vine and been a constant cold temp. for 3 days in a row. They harvest by hand at night, process imed. Each grape only produces 1 drop of wine. GOOD yes, now you know why its so expensive. My fav is the iced reisling, also good iced vidal.
    YUM $$$$$

I tried "eiswein" in Fairport NY over Xmas. A winery there was offering TEENY tasting samples. a 375ml bottle is around 60-80 dollars. My boss took is to dinner at Le Cirque Cafe a couple of weeks ago and he ordered a bottle for the table. You cant drink too much of it because its sweet.

Here's a little history:

ICE-vyn] A German term meaning "ice wine," referring to a rich, flavorful dessert wine. Eiswein is made by picking grapes that are frozen on the vine and then pressing them before they thaw. Because much of the water in the grapes is frozen, the resulting juice is concentrated-rich in flavor and high in sugar and acidity. The resulting wines, although different than Germany's famous beerenauslesen and trockenbeerenauslesen are similarly extraordinarily sweet, yet balanced by high acidity. Eiswein is an excellent candidate for long aging. In 1982, Eiswein became one of the six subcategories of qualitätswein mit prädikat. In order to thus qualify, a wine's must needs to reach the minimum natural sugar levels of beerenauslese category wines-110 to 128° oechsle (approximately 26 to 30 percent sugar by weight), depending on the region and the variety. austria has an Eiswein category that's similar and requires a minimum 127° oechsle. Eiswein is a specialty of Canada (where it's spelled "icewine"), whose cold weather produces excellent examples of this specialty. In fact, Canadians now produce more Eiswein than Germany, and has vqa regulations that define the sugar content required for this designation to be used on labels. Other cold weather areas, such as the more northern of the United States, are now also producing Eisweins.

Karen, thanks so much for that info....really good info !!!! Boy, it ain't cheap !

Aw now I have to go out and find somewhere to try it.....I live near Pittsburgh, so if anyone has any ideas feel free to send them my way...THX.
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Michele, its a special kind of wine, good, sweet, but not an everyday thing.