Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: I'm back to forum, just got my Europe fill..

I'd like to hear more about Barcelona. In all my visits to Spain and one visit to France, I've studiously avoided Barcelona. However, I could be compelled to alter course and check it out if personal details extolled the place's virtues, which must include something other than Gaudi and such.

Anyway, let's hear more specifics about Barcelona.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

My parents have been to Barcelona a few times and have come to love it third to only Italy and Turkey, in that order!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    I'd like to hear more about Barcelona. In all my visits to Spain and one visit to France, I've studiously avoided Barcelona. However, I could be compelled to alter course and check it out if personal details extolled the place's virtues, which must include something other than Gaudi and such.

Anyway, let's hear more specifics about Barcelona.

Ok here goes....
    Barcelona was not on my top locations to visit, honestly, it just happened to be the location that the ship left from. That being said:
    Things we saw;
    Olympic Stadium- awesome imop
    Park Guell- residential park planned by Gaudi and a pal that never came to be. Mosaics all over the park incoporated in landscapes, park benches, walkways. Worth the visit !!!
    La Rambla- paved pedestrain walkway/shopping/cafes. Beautiful flower shops, talented artists with booths, junk stuff, gelato stops...you name it. Fun, but an area you have to watch your wallet and purse
    Picasso Museum- OMG, fabulous. Began with his young talent and went into his wierdo stuff..
    Maremarren- spelling? Big mall on a pier. Nothing like home, but a cool area to walk, check out the boats, get gelato...
    Chocolate Museum- yep, cool place. History of chocolate. Ticket in was a candy bar. Lots of historical info...ok
    Sangrada famillia- Gaudi church being built for 100 years. Not finished. Done on private donations.

We wondered around but the best way to see the whole city, and its whole city was on the Hop On Hop Off bus. Pricey, but worth every cent. Headphones given and 8 languages available. They had red, blue and green lines mapped out with locations. We got the 2 day pass which was 28 E, or 40 US dollars. Worth it.

Did I feel safe all the time, no. I carried my $$ in a pouch under my top. We were surrounded at one point by 4 teens and we yelled NO. This happened at the Sangrada church. One of our fellow travelers staying at the Renn with us had his gold necklace torn off his neck and his neck gouged. They were happy to be leaving the next morning.
    All in all, it was a good visit. Glad I saw it, glad we did the bus routine.
    If you decide to go, let me know. I will be happy to send you off a city map and a bus map of Barcelona. I can even bring to you in Nov when we visit Aruba.
    Any questions ask away. thanks for asking to hear more, cindy

CindyO,

Thanks for the info.

I simply don't go for the Gaudi stuff, nor Picasso (my humble opinion only). I'm sure there are things worth visiting there but each time I hear about only these types and the incredible tortured food of the area, also not my thing.

My preference is for small town Spain, each one a little treasure box in its own right with less spectacular but more sincere jewels to see.

All the best, and enjoy the journey.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Did you have any safety issues in Italy? My mom had her purse slashed in Rome. They left her her reading glasses

Aruba since 1979
    so glad cindy and family made it back unscathed.

it's too bad there is crime that spoils or tries to spoil tourist's good time.

:-) now time for Ciindy and family to plan their November trip!

I thank God that I am lucky enough to have been able to take my family on such a remarkable trip.....the trip of a lifetime....and I've had some great ones. Something very nice about having college aged girls who still like to travel with us.

This trip was my thanks to CindyO and the girls for being with me through all of the health issues I've had to deal with over the past 20 months. I booked it from a hospital room last year. By the way, without going into any details, I've got a clean bill of health and that is all behind me. Enough said about that, back to "the trip".

I will chime in on a few trip details later this week.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Welcome back "O" family!! We are glad you had a wonderful trip. We are more pleased to hear Rob has a clean bill of health.

Looking forward to November over here as well.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Did you have any safety issues in Italy? My mom had her purse slashed in Rome. They left her her reading glasses
    Though we heard that we should be careful near crowded areas (such as Trevi Fountain) we were alert and cautious but everything was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    CindyO,

Thanks for the info.

I simply don't go for the Gaudi stuff, nor Picasso (my humble opinion only). I'm sure there are things worth visiting there but each time I hear about only these types and the incredible tortured food of the area, also not my thing.

My preference is for small town Spain, each one a little treasure box in its own right with less spectacular but more sincere jewels to see.

All the best, and enjoy the journey.

I agreed with you on Picasso until I went to the museum, then was in awe at the talent he displayed in his earlier years. I think he was so great that he got bored and played with the weird stuff. Park Guell was also very nice.

I am with you w/r to the food.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12