Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Irma

Reminds me of all the Superstorm Sandy prep we did a few years back. I just found a thank you card from one of Brianna's college friends thanking us for housing them during the storm. We were very lucky to be able to. Hoping all of my FL friends will have the same luck!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Paul and Don (another don) are heading to the fire station to shovel sand into sand bags.
    Don is 93.
    Paul will hold the bags while don shovels

Royal Caribbean taking care of employees

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/news...urricane-irma/

Like to see companies taking care of their people. It serves a dual purpose to protect the ship as well.

Stay safe everyone. Living in Eastern Ontario (Canada) its hard to imagine what people go through in Hurricane zones. Not sure if I could do it, I would be gone the second they said possible hurricane.
    Give me a good old fashioned snow storm any day!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

What is even scarier is there is now another storm behind it-Hurricane Jose. It looks like he may hit some of the same islands. Time will tell which direction he will take. Also, no one is saying, yet, where Irma will go once she makes landfall-Georgia? the Carolinas? up here to NJ?

Today I had a call and an email from the county where our shore condo is located-checking their emergency red alert system. I don't know if they are just testing it or are fearful of the remnants of Irma, or if they think Jose is coming this way or are preparing for another storm that may work it way up to Cape May County. We live only 35 miles inland from the coast. During Sandy, the eye of the storm passed over us(we didn't own the condo then).

Andrea:
    Right to work is that is the state of Florida they can terminate you for any reason. (dumb)
    Got a call from work asking me to work doubles this weekend.. NO NO NO.
    They also informed me that if I do not go to work, regardless the reason is I will no longer have a job. That goes for everyone Guess I may need a new job. lol
    (back in 2004 .. 25 nurses from Ormond Memorial Hosp. got fired for not going into work cause of the hurricanes.)
    Now there is two more storms behind Irma. Reminds me of the hurricanes in 2004...

You've got to question whether you want to work for a place that wields with an iron fist. Are there no volunteers that will take the shifts? If not, maybe they should pay a bonus until there are. They will soon find out that they won't WANT the workers who will put up with this treatment, because the good ones will have all left.

I know that's easier said than done - easier in a "worker's market" where the economy occasionally turns the tables around on the employers.

Some jobs, by the nature of the duties, require people to be there in emergencies. What would happen to your patients if no one was able to be there? Is the nursing home in a solid building? If so you may be better off there than at your modular. Is there an evacuation plan for the patients if needed?
    I work for a utility and we have jobs where a condition of your employment is that you are required to work in emergencies if you are classified as essential personnel. Our employer needs workers to ensure water and sewer services can be safely restored as soon as possible. They have provisions stocked and ready to go for those who have to stay in emergency situations.
    I can understand the employers side of needed people to be at work, especially emergency responders, hospital staff, and yes even utility workers who are needed to ensure safe drinking water and wastewater treatment as a matter if public health.
    The difference is how the employer prepares and appreciates those who have to be there. Fortunately my co-workers are well compensated and taken care of when duty calls, but I'm sire the same can't be said for everyone.

Well said, Tracey. Just be sure you're in place before tropical storm-force winds begin, and are able to stay until they stop.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast