Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ~~~~japan~~~~

Aruba since 1979

~~~~japan~~~~

:-(

God help them all

Catastrophic Prayers to everyone touched by this

This disaster is horrifying. My thoughts and prayers to everyone who has been affected.

Our son is in Hawaii on a community service trip from his college. He and the other volunteers were camped in tents on the northeastern side of Oahu which was a tsunami target area this morning. They were there to clean the beach because of the danger the litter that washes ashore poses to endangered species who make that area their home. A friend of ours called us very early this morning to make sure we knew about the tsunami and to see if our son was okay. That was quite a wakeup call, because we didn't know anything about it. We called our son, and woke him up. He and his friends had been evacuated to a shelter last night, but he said he didn't call because it was the middle of the night here, and he didn't want to wake us up.

As thankful as I am to know that he's safe, my heart breaks for Japan.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I am so saddened by this news. I am glued to the TV, changing channels every 5 minutes, to see other photo's, etc on whats happening.
    God bless the people of Japan at this time of need. I hope in some way US can help and that this help will lead us to a better friendship with their people.

Aruba since 1979
    to me it is the same sick feeling as sept 11 2001.
    although very different......same sick scared feeling for me.

my son began his annual 2 week NAVY reserve duty.........headed out this morning with intent of going to Singapore to work at the NAVY base there on a US SUB that is in dry dock. (he is a nuke engineer). he has a stop in hong kong tonight at 10 pm our time.
    in hong kong he will be given orders to either proceed onto the next flight to singapore or get on a US Naval warship to aid in the japan efforts.

we all understand and accept that this 2 week reserve duty may very well be way more than 2 weeks. :-(

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    This is horrific! Japan has to deal with three catastrophes at once: the earthquake, the tsunami and the nuke explosions.

My heart goes out to all the people and animals in Japan.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

my son began his annual 2 week NAVY reserve duty.........headed out this morning with intent of going to Singapore to work at the NAVY base there on a US SUB that is in dry dock. (he is a nuke engineer). he has a stop in hong kong tonight at 10 pm our time.
    in hong kong he will be given orders to either proceed onto the next flight to singapore or get on a US Naval warship to aid in the japan efforts.

we all understand and accept that this 2 week reserve duty may very well be way more than 2 weeks. :-(
    Hope your son is safe!

This nuke stuff is quite scary! I remember well Chernobyl.

CK1
    Here is an article with lots of info and pictures. Very devastating!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1GchEpUI5

Enz
    Satellite Photos - Japan Before and After Tsunami - Interactive - move the bar left and right to see before and after, devastating!

> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...r-tsunami.html
    >

Aruba since 1979
    my baby leaves Singapore and heads to kittery maine at 6 pm tonight!! woo hoo.

paul and i are thrilled that he did his reserve duty and they did not extend it, put him on a warship or god knows what,

what he was supposed to do in Singapore was to work on a nuclear reactor on one of the us navy ships in for a refit.

instead......the japan tragedy happened 12 hrs prior to his arrival and he became one of the communications officers to decipher japan nuclear reactor "talk" and put it in plain language that regular folks can understand.

he spent the 2 weeks with the base's command staff and apparently had a wonderful learning experience.

he'll arrive in boston in 25 hrs and then home to kittery area shortly thereafter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast