Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Learned something sad this trip...any answers???

Thumbs down Learned something sad this trip...any answers???

Recently returned from a girls trip to Aruba (April) and this time, I stayed inland and not at a beach resort. I could not believe how many stray dogs and puppies there are wandering around the island away from the resorts on the beaches. I have seen this everywhere but had not noticed it so much before in Aruba. Most looked hungry, thirsty, alone, scared and some were pregnant and/or nursing. It was such a very sad thing. Does anyone know if the government is doing anything about spaying or neutering the strays? Or trying to get them adopted? I asked some locals about them, and most said they are usually rounded up from the resorts during the week and euthanized, and not very nicely. Spaying/neutering is not popular? I can't believe such a beautiful place with such nice people would allow this. As a tourist I am very disappointed. I understand American and Aruban cultures are different when it comes to pets but there are quite a few Americans on this island...I think if more tourists saw or knew of this they would insist something be done. Thoughts?
    Last edited by cmshanley; 05-28-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Palm Beach, Arashi Beach and Manchebo Beach
    Listen to this episode of my podcast and it will tell you all you need to know about this issue. http://onehappypodcast.com/ep15/

The woman being interviewed has been helping the strays since the 80's and is trying to get a spay/neuter program going. If you want more information PM me and I will be happy to pass it along.

Visit onehappypodcast.com
    the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

It is very sad. We'll see the occasional stray while at the resort but when you go inland you see them more. The rescue groups work very hard to try and improve the situation but progress Ives slowly. Adopting a dig on the island is a simple process.

Aruba since 1979
    the leash law that had been ignored by many is now fully in effect. it is very dificult to teach people (no matter what the country) something that is very different and not in line with their cultures or traditions (neutoring and spaying) .

there are a few animal rescue organizations on aruba.
    all doing a fine job of rescuing, educating , neutoring and spaying and ADOPTIONS.

here is one of the links to Arf-Aruba http://www.arf-aruba.com

2 of their board members are forum members here. Sugar and StellabillR.

Quote Originally Posted by cmshanley View Post
    Recently returned from a girls trip to Aruba (April) and this time, I stayed inland and not at a beach resort. I could not believe how many stray dogs and puppies there are wandering around the island away from the resorts on the beaches. I have seen this everywhere but had not noticed it so much before in Aruba. Most looked hungry, thirsty, alone, scared and some were pregnant and/or nursing. It was such a very sad thing. Does anyone know if the government is doing anything about spaying or neutering the strays? Or trying to get them adopted? I asked some locals about them, and most said they are usually rounded up from the resorts during the week and euthanized, and not very nicely. Spaying/neutering is not popular? I can't believe such a beautiful place with such nice people would allow this. As a tourist I am very disappointed. I understand American and Aruban cultures are different when it comes to pets but there are quite a few Americans on this island...I think if more tourists saw or knew of this they would insist something be done. Thoughts?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    It's very sad. I noticed the same on my trips to Aruba.

On my last trip to Aruba in 2010, I actually went to the Parliament to speak to the Minister of Tourism about this situation and a few other things. To my surprise, I was able to speak to his Secretary, a nice gentleman, who listened carefully. I pointed out that the WHOLE dog and cat situation could be easily resolved by just introducing a spay/neuter program, that many tourists love animals and are saddened to see so many poor dogs and cats roaming the streets. I also suggested that educating people would be important, starting with children, taking them to the dog pound and making them understand the importance of spaying/neutering their cats and dogs. Unfortunately, nothing has changed.

Except: that now more dogs and cats get euthanized!

The new law since beginning of this year requires that the dogs are now micro-chipped in case they get picked up, otherwise, they will be euthanized within a short time. No dogs are now allowed to roam the streets, they will be picked up and face death.

There are no laws which would protect the dogs, for instance, that water and shelter would be required. I have seen black dogs chained up without having any shade!!! In this in the brutal heat and sun of Aruba.

I also know about a German lade, Kiki, who tries for many years to safe dogs. She could negotiate with the government to get a piece of land where she could build a non-kill-shelter. But without funds or the help of the government, it's impossible to do.

I live here in Texas and many cats and dogs get euthanized as well. But we have several animal groups who are fighting hard to "do the right thing": instead of euthanizing so many cats and dogs year after year, some communities finally recognized the spay and neuter program would be the answer. As many people would just not do it voluntarily, it's now mandatory in several cities and communities here. An exception would be a breeder but the rules are very clear: they have to pay a certain fee and not more than two litters per year.

IMO, if something should change for the better of the cats and dogs in Aruba, it has to be done through the government. Instead of just killing all these wonderful, sweet and special cats and dogs, they just have to make it mandatory to have them spayed and neutered to control the overpopulation. The government DID make new laws (microchip, leash law), but it's NOT for the better of the cats and dogs, it's just to force people to keep their dogs off the streets, otherwise, they will be taken to the kill shelter and euthanized.

Btw, the conditions in the kill shelter of Aruba are HORRIFIC! If a dog is injured or sick, they will let it suffer for days! No veterinary treatment, nothing! I have seen a video with made me sick to my stomach!

The Aruban government is well aware of the situation. I don't know if a Petition would change their mind, instead of killing so many cats and dogs, introduce a spay/neuter program and provide a low-cost clinic to help the people doing it. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cmshanley View Post

The proposed spay and neuter campaign comes with a cost of 14k for supplies. There is currently a fundraiser being conducted that is about a third of the way to the goal. In addition to the clinic the organization that will be putting on the clinic (animal balance) will provide information to help educate Arubans. As already mentioned adoption and a spay and neuter campaign are all good but education is the only way to truly fix the problem.

the officially unofficial podcast of the island of Aruba. Tips, tricks and stories about the best place on earth! If you don't listen you are missing out.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post
    The proposed spay and neuter campaign comes with a cost of 14k for supplies. There is currently a fundraiser being conducted that is about a third of the way to the goal. In addition to the clinic the organization that will be putting on the clinic (animal balance) will provide information to help educate Arubans. As already mentioned adoption and a spay and neuter campaign are all good but education is the only way to truly fix the problem.
    Do you have a link to this fundraiser? I would be glad to make a donation. Thanks.

Here is the link to the fundraiser. I do apologize if this is against board rules. http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...-aruba/349538#

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by burghboy View Post
    Here is the link to the fundraiser. I do apologize if this is against board rules.

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...-aruba/349538#
    Thank you for the link.

I just made an online donation. It was quick and easy.

Very sad that this happens a lot every where.
    We volunteer at the local shelter... collect blankets, sheets, towels and newspapers and etc for bedding..
    Will buy dog/cat food when on sale on when they get open by mistake...
    Toys are a must...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast