Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LMAO at the Fools at the NWS

LMAO at the Fools at the NWS

First I apologize if anyone here works for the NWS or know someone who does, you have my sympathy. Forgive me:

The last major snow here in our part of Georgia was December 2001.

All week we've been getting hype about an upcoming storm. Today's forecast from the NWS went something like this:

2 pm forecast- rain (mom called, "how's the weather?)
    3 pm forecast change- to wintry mix no accumulation (husband called, told him, "don't worry you will have work tomorrow")
    3:45 pm forecast change- ice accumulation less than .1 in. possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a 1/2 in. possible. (dh says, "never happen, the NWS is NEVER RIGHT ON THEIR FORECAST )
    7:50 pm forecast CHANGE- WINTER STORM WARNING 1 - 3 in. of snow, localized 4 - 5 in. totals

We do not have snow plows. With 1 - 3 in. we are in deep, with 4 -5 in. we won't get out for literally days. Unless of course, we have a suddent thaw to 80 degrees, which although is not predicted, as evidenced by above, always possible.

Aruba since 1979
    ok,, time for another weather update?
    hope dh and dd get the day off tomorrow

really? no plows?
    cindy knows of a plow driver from her neighborhood that may opt for the extra cash from plowing

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    First I apologize if anyone here works for the NWS or know someone who does, you have my sympathy. Forgive me:

The last major snow here in our part of Georgia was December 2001.

All week we've been getting hype about an upcoming storm. Today's forecast from the NWS went something like this:

2 pm forecast- rain (mom called, "how's the weather?)
    3 pm forecast change- to wintry mix no accumulation (husband called, told him, "don't worry you will have work tomorrow")
    3:45 pm forecast change- ice accumulation less than .1 in. possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a 1/2 in. possible. (dh says, "never happen, the NWS is NEVER RIGHT ON THEIR FORECAST )
    7:50 pm forecast CHANGE- WINTER STORM WARNING 1 - 3 in. of snow, localized 4 - 5 in. totals

We do not have snow plows. With 1 - 3 in. we are in deep, with 4 -5 in. we won't get out for literally days. Unless of course, we have a suddent thaw to 80 degrees, which although is not predicted, as evidenced by above, always possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    ok,, time for another weather update?
    hope dh and dd get the day off tomorrow

really? no plows?
    cindy knows of a plow driver from her neighborhood that may opt for the extra cash from plowing
    1 inch plus of snow on the ground and changed to sleet about 1/2 hour ago. Sleeting VERY heavily now, with snow mixed in.

Yes, no plows for us (we live in an unincoporated area anyway) only state road 1 mile plus away gets plowed. I "think" we will pass on borrowing Cindy's lovely driver . Rather be stuck eating peanut butter and drinking water if we cannot get out.

Our county already closed shcools tomorrow. Dh has had no word yet. After she went to bed at her normal bedtime we decided if the roads are bad she can stay home. He would have to worry about getting himself to school early enough for her to catch the bus to her school from his school. Complicated I know.

Dh is

Dd will have all day to catch up on Hannah Montana and 4 hours of AI!

No school tomorrow.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Llisa, take it easy in your weather. Don't ya hate when the weather guys can't get it right.
    Will your daughter go out and make a snowman? Big extremes for her, sun for vacation and then snow when getting home.
    Sorry, can't recommend any plow drivers, just thing of all the mailboxes he could yank out on his way to you............

Aruba since 1979
    wonderful
    enjoy
    don't kill your backs shoveling

currently 4 degrees as i type
    andrea

Dh is

Dd will have all day to catch up on Hannah Montana and 4 hours of AI!

No school tomorrow.

Shovel! I would bet you all 5 bucks we are the ONLY people on our block who even own a shovel. I tell you, unheard of in these parts. I still have my trusty partner from Indiana where we had TONS of snow!!!

It changed to rain overnight. It is drizziling now and the roads and pavement are just wet so no back breaking working involved. Just enough white stuff to make it pretty.

NWS strikes again! Just issued a Special Weather Statement for the possibility of snow late tomorrow into Saturday. They are "saying" more snow than last night, mentioning 2 inches. At this rate, we figure it will be either nothing or a blizzard.

I know where the shovel is. AND unlike most of the time in Indiana when dh was working, this SATURDAY he will be available to shovel. Life IS good!

Aruba since 1979
    these "mini-blizzards" will help your drought
    you better head to the market for the usuall blizzard supplies:
    milk
    toilet paper
    doritos
    batteries
    wine
    more doritos

here in new england we have the standard "panic go to the grocery store rage"

in my house, we add more doritos and wine

NWS strikes again! Just issued a Special Weather Statement for the possibility of snow late tomorrow into Saturday. They are "saying" more snow than last night, mentioning 2 inches. At this rate, we figure it will be either nothing or a blizzard.

I know where the shovel is. AND unlike most of the time in Indiana when dh was working, this SATURDAY he will be available to shovel. Life IS good!

We keep a "hidden" grocery bag with 2 rolls of toilet paper, Spam, Dinty Moore beef stew, pasta and sauce, cereal and powdered milk. Usually we get to use it when they say "light flurries". It's when they issue a 'major storm warning' we know we need not worry.

They call themselves 'accu-weather'. We call them 'accu-panic'.

Thank goodness those people went into meteorology and not medicine!
    Last edited by AuntieMame; 01-18-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast