Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Locking your doors?

Locking your doors?

Ok, stuff happens everywhere I guess. We moved to a wonderful community to escape crime and raise our son in a safe environment (still think so even after today) and we had a robbery at our local store this morning. I was at the store yesterday grabbing lunch and today they were held up.

Thankfully the dirt bag was arrested. Will this stop me from walking downtown, cause me to lock my doors during the day, or change my way of life for even a second? Nope. What it will do is make me more thankful, if that's possible, for the men and women who serve our towns and cities to protect us. There is a picture of a local officer tackling the guy who is suppose to be armed....god bless anyone who is willing to protect and serve in these crazy times.

Sorry that happened Jay.

Our local ice cream shop was robbed a few weeks ago in our tiny little sweet low crime town. Slimeball had a knife! It's not something any of you would hear on the news or on any forum (except for our community Facebook page) and not something that would make someone who lives in the city flinch at all, but it kinda rocked our little town.

These things happen everywhere. You just need to always be aware of your surroundings and stay safe.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

The early reports from online are it seems to be bringing our community together and we are a close nit town. I went in to meet the owner of the store and thank him personally for chasing the robber down. I shop there often but never introduced myself, I will patronize this store more going forward for sure. When talking with the owner I think I I actually had a tear in my eye when I thanked him for helping keep our community safe. After picking up my lunch, I then went to thank and introduce myself to another local shop owner that tried to chase the robber down as well despite being 64 years old.

You are right Jacki about things like this being able to shake the town. If the guy was not caught it would be entirely different feeling my community would be feeling. Now we have some hometown heros that were willing to put there life on the line to catch a robber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Sorry that happened Jay.

Our local ice cream shop was robbed a few weeks ago in our tiny little sweet low crime town. Slimeball had a knife! It's not something any of you would hear on the news or on any forum (except for our community Facebook page) and not something that would make someone who lives in the city flinch at all, but it kinda rocked our little town.

These things happen everywhere. You just need to always be aware of your surroundings and stay safe.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 07-27-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    a lousy sign of our troubled times.
    crime has hit most everywhere.

jay....lock your doors!

My doors are wide open at least 18 hours per day and I won't change, if I have to, I will move again, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    a lousy sign of our troubled times.
    crime has hit most everywhere.

jay....lock your doors!

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    My doors are wide open at least 18 hours per day and I won't change, if I have to, I will move again, lol.
    Jay, don't be stupid or a hero or the next news program statistic... lock your doors. You may wear a cape, but think about your dear wife and son. Heck, I'll bet even the good folk of Aruba lock their doors. Now, lock up the house and get to Aruba!

Thanks Walt. Do most of you stay in your house with the doors locked when at home? I will be honest, I don't even have a key to my house but I could certainly lock it from the inside. That is not to say I dont' ever lock it...I do when I am asleep or when in Aruba, but you guys may convince me otherwise, that and the crappy news downtown today, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Jay, don't be stupid or a hero or the next news program statistic... lock your doors. You may wear a cape, but think about your dear wife and son. Heck, I'll bet even the good folk of Aruba lock their doors. Now, lock up the house and get to Aruba!
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 07-27-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Thanks Walt. Do most of you stay in your house with the doors locked when at home? I will be honest, I don't even have a key to my house but I could certainly lock it from the inside. That is not to say I dont' ever lock it...I do when I am asleep or when in Aruba, but you guys may convince me otherwise, that and the crappy news downtown today, lol.
    We keep the doors locked all the time and we don't live in a particularly bad area and we have security riding through our neighborhood at night. Why make things easy? Jon leaves for work at 2am and I am always concerned that someone will learn his pattern and come in when they see him leave.

This discussion reminds me of my dad's house. I lived there all through high school without a key. My best friend once called me to tell me she had stopped by my house and used the bathroom once because she knew it would be open and it was better than the gas station. Funny what memories stick after 20+ years
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

I grew up in a quiet town and we NEVER locked our doors growing up. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and much was different then. That time created the person I am today and I probably need to change with the times. I am not overly trusting but I am not someone that typically worries about things like crime either but maybe maybe I should.

I love the friend stopping by your dads place to use the bathroom, classic. That is the world I want to live in today, I just don't know where it is anymore, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We keep the doors locked all the time and we don't live in a particularly bad area and we have security riding through our neighborhood at night. Why make things easy? Jon leaves for work at 2am and I am always concerned that someone will learn his pattern and come in when they see him leave.

This discussion reminds me of my dad's house. I lived there all through high school without a key. My best friend once called me to tell me she had stopped by my house and used the bathroom once because she knew it would be open and it was better than the gas station. Funny what memories stick after 20+ years

Since that horrible home invasion in my state where a mother and two daughters were brutally and sexually assaulted, and killed and the dad beaten to within an inch of his life, I keep my doors locked all the time - even when I'm home. There have also been a rash of car break-ins in my town because people don't lock their cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast