Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Locking your doors?

With no dogs in the house, and no kids , we safely keep loaded a shotgun within reach on our third level where the bedrooms are. We keep the doors locked and pray I will never have to use it, but its there just in case. I can only hope the sound of racking the shotgun would be enough to make someone think twice about coming up the stairs. They can take whatever they want from the bottom 2 levels while I call 911.
    7 trips in and still finding things to love. #8 will be great in November!

If you are going to own a gun, my good friend said it best be loaded or you would be better off with a bat. I have not owned a gun in years but thought about it prior to having our son, and then moving to a safer community. I grew up with guns, I got my first one at age 11 but would never have one in the house with my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    With no dogs in the house, and no kids , we safely keep loaded a shotgun within reach on our third level where the bedrooms are. We keep the doors locked and pray I will never have to use it, but its there just in case. I can only hope the sound of racking the shotgun would be enough to make someone think twice about coming up the stairs. They can take whatever they want from the bottom 2 levels while I call 911.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    I'm one of those people like Jay that have leave the door open (I have it not just unlocked but open) from morning to time we go to bed. When we first moved here many years ago we never locked the doors even at night. Our town was very safe back then. Now DH will close the door when he leaves for work in the morning but he doesn't lock it. If I go out even to get the newspaper on the lawn, when I come in I leave the door open all day. If we go out together at night, DH will lock the door. Me, I could count on one hand how many times I opened our door with a house key.

Years ago we got robbed twice. They came in the back patio door that was unlocked. It was surprising that no one saw them since it was 5:30 in the summer when I came home from work and all the kid's on the block were playing in our street and their parents were outside watching their kids. I came to find out that our dog was impregnating the female dogs in the neighborhood. LOL. Our Schnauzer Schlitz (after the beer) would have probably scared them away as he was a big barker but was at the vet getting neutered during the robbery. They took the TV in our family room but I don't remember what else they took. After the robbery we did start locking our doors. For awhile.

The second robbery was a year later. We went to visit my grandparents (with our dog) down the shore in Avon-by-the Sea (Jacki probably knows where Avon is). This time they came through the dining room windows. The windows were probably not locked. I don't remember exactly what they stole except my wedding band and a few other pieces of jewelry. DH had hundred of dimes he was saving in his dresser drawer. I couldn't figure how they carried all those dimes until DH realized they used our pillow cases. Two things were very upsetting about that robbery. One was our cat had recently given birth to 6 kittens. We found the mother cat but we couldn't find the kittens. I was so scared that these creeps did something to her babies. Well, we found 3 of the kittens in my walk-in closet high up on a shelf. Where was the other kittens? It was unbelievable. Mama cat took the other 3 babies down 3 floors to our basement and hid them in the rafters. She protected all 6 of her babies. These dirt bags were discussing. One of them took a dump in one of our bathroom toilets. It was their statement to us "sh*t on you". We locked our doors again. For awhile.

The cops never caught these guys but I'm sure I know who there was. They were a couple of teenage brothers. They would walk though my property to visit their friend that lived from us. I would ask them to not walk through my property but they would just smirk at me. Brats. I don't worry about them now. They are all grown-up and probably in a penitentiary by now.

My town is still a very nice town and have no plans to move. But I have read about more crime in the last few years in neighboring towns.

Before anyone tells me to Lock Up, I promise I will try even during the day.
    Last edited by Liz - Aruba Lover; 07-28-2016 at 11:03 PM.

Even I would say lock up That stinks Liz, I am glad nobody was hurt. Dogs certainly let you know when something is amiss. I have had a least one dog my entire life and their ability to know when something is off or when someone does not belong never ceases to amaze me. My older dog is nasty sounding....I would not walk thru my door, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz - Aruba Lover View Post
    I'm one of those people like Jay that have leave the door open (I have it not just unlocked but open) from morning to time we go to bed. When we first moved here many years ago we never locked the doors even at night. Our town was very safe back then. Now DH will close the door when he leaves for work in the morning but he doesn't lock it. If I go out even to get the newspaper on the lawn, when I come in I leave the door open all day. If we go out together at night, DH will lock the door. Me, I could count on one hand how many times I opened our door with a house key.

Years ago we got robbed twice. They came in the back patio door that was unlocked. It was surprising that no one saw them since it was 5:30 in the summer when I came home from work and all the kid's on the block were playing in our street and their parents were outside watching their kids. I came to find out that our dog was impregnating the female dogs in the neighborhood. LOL. Our Schnauzer Schlitz (after the beer) would have probably scared them away as he was a big barker but was at the vet getting neutered during the robbery. They took the TV in our family room but I don't remember what else they took. After the robbery we did start locking our doors. For awhile.

The second robbery was a year later. We went to visit my grandparents (with our dog) down the shore in Avon-by-the Sea (Jacki probably knows where Avon is). This time they came through the dining room windows. The windows were probably not locked. I don't remember exactly what they stole except my wedding band and a few other pieces of jewelry. DH had hundred of dimes he was saving in his dresser drawer. I couldn't figure how they carried all those dimes until DH realized they used our pillow cases. Two things were very upsetting about that robbery. One was our cat had recently given birth to 6 kittens. We found the mother cat but we couldn't find the kittens. I was so scared that these creeps did something to her babies. Well, we found 3 of the kittens in my walk-in closet high up on a shelf. Where was the other kittens? It was unbelievable. Mama cat took the other 3 babies down 3 floors to our basement and hid them in the rafters. She protected all 6 of her babies. These dirt bags were discussing. One of them took a dump in one of our bathroom toilets. It was their statement to us "sh*t on you". We locked our doors again. For awhile.

The cops never caught these guys but I'm sure I know who there was. They were a couple of teenage brothers. They would walk though my property to visit their friend that lived from us. I would ask them to not walk through my property but they would just smirk at me. Brats. I don't worry about them now. They are all grown-up and probably in a penitentiary by now.

My town is still a very nice town and have no plans to move. But I have read about more crime in the last few years in neighboring towns.

Before anyone tells me to Lock Up, I promise I will try even during the day.

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Jay, I don't think my sweetheart of a dog that we rescured 7 years ago would do a thing if a burglar came in. She barks at everyone like crazy, but then she jumps on them and starts kissing them. Then she rolls on her back for them to scratch her belly, even people she doesn't know. She is no guard dog; that's for sure.

I just thought a funny story about my open door policy. Years ago, I would organize many different fundraisers for my Church. Depending on which fundraiser I would be running at the time, people would be dropping off gifts, checks, food, etc. at my house. Once my mother in-law and sister-in law were visiting. While I was out, they said people were walking in my house leaving whatever they were leaving. They would say hi to my in-laws and just leave. LOL.

This one I'll never forget. I was taking a shower when I heard knocking on the bathroom door. Strange that I close the bathroom door but I don't close the front house door. LOL. I thought I was hearing things but I keep hearing the knocking. I was so scared. I get out of the shower with so much shampoo running down my face that I could hardly see. I started to put the lock on the bathroom door. Then I realized that if someone was in my house to kill me, that they weren't going to knock on the bathroom door. I open the door and this little girl that was no older than 5 years old is standing there, not saying a word. Then I hear her mother yelling Liz, Liz it's Mary Ann. I have a check that I'm leaving on the table in your foyer. Why the hell did she just leave the check without sending the poor kid up 2 flights of stairs. She was such a nice woman and very helpful with the fundraisers that I couldn't yell at her that she scared the s**t out of me.
    Last edited by Liz - Aruba Lover; 07-29-2016 at 12:10 AM.

I have 2 big dogs like I said, almost 200lbs between the two of them. They are well behaved and always listen...But I have seen the oldest get nasty when either she or my son is threatened in any way. She has never bitten anyone but I would not put it past her if a stranger walked into my house unannounced without one of us, even my son can control the dogs but a stranger, huh, good luck.

Jay, I don't think my sweetheart of a dog that we rescured 7 years ago would do a thing if a burglar came in. She barks at everyone like crazy, but then she jumps on them and starts kissing them. Then she rolls on her back for them to scratch her belly, even people she doesn't know. She is no guard dog; that's for sure.

I just thought a funny story about my open door policy. Years ago, I would organize many different fundraisers for my Church. Depending on which fundraiser I would be running at the time, people would be dropping off gifts, checks, food, etc. at my house. Once my mother in-law and sister-in law were visiting. While I was out, they said people were walking in my house leaving whatever they were leaving. They would say hi to my in-laws and just leave. LOL.

This one I'll never forget. I was taking a shower when I heard knocking on the bathroom door. Strange that I close the bathroom door but I don't close the front house door. LOL. I thought I was hearing things but I keep hearing the knocking. I was so scared. I get out of the shower with so much shampoo running down my face that I could hardly see. I started to put the lock on the bathroom door. Then I realized that if someone was in my house to kill me, that they weren't going to knock on the bathroom door. I open the door and this little girl that was no older than 5 years old is standing there, not saying a word. Then I hear her mother yelling Liz, Liz it's Mary Ann. I have a check that I'm leaving on the table in your foyer. Why the hell did she just leave the check without sending the poor kid up 2 flights of stairs. She was such a nice woman and very helpful with the fundraisers that I couldn't yell at her that she scared the s**t out of me.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Avon by the Sea is beautiful, Liz. But still, lock your doors, especially if you're in the shower. If you live in NJ, I can safely attest to the fact that in order to move the calendars, the judges plea bargain and give defendants the sun, stars & moon so they can take something off their list. I can't testify to other states but in NJ, there are alot of repeat offenders getting probation. If the citizens of this state knew how many repeat offenders get it, they would definitely lock their doors (and we don't elect judges here, they are appointed so good luck getting rid of them).

Aruba since 1979
    i am laughing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123