Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: London 2012 Olympic Games

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaRookie View Post
    I don't think Brazil can beat USA mens volleyball team but anything is possible at the top level in that sport.

There is a reason USA is ranked #1
    That's why I predicted bronze, not gold for our guys The Americans are flying, like the Polish. I don't see us beating you in this tournament.

Our volleyball team is old and tired. Some people think coach Bernardo Rezende is part of the problem but I disagree. I don't see us fighting for gold this time, but I don't rule out a surprise. Our ladies' team is in an even worse shape...

So far we've been doing well. Sarah Menezes won gold (I had predicted silver for her); another judoka, Felipe Kitadai, won bronze. And Thiago Pereira did surprise me by getting silver in the 4x100 medley. I underestimated him and may have overestimated both Phelps and Cseh.

Talking about swimming: that relay final was amazing! Not because of who won or lost (I kinda like the Aussies -- they are, in my opinion, the role model for an Olympic project that we aren't able to start here), but because it was decided only in the end. It's a bit frustrating that Brazil was out, but sparing Cielo may have been a good decision in the end, because even with him we wouldn't have a medal chance.

Cheers

Marcio

I had fun in February in Aruba playing volleyball on the beach against and with some Brazilians. While we had difficulty communicating, the game of volleyball is universal. Rarely do we ever find people that have the skills necessary to make a volleyball game for us enjoyable, but we will never forget the fun we had that day. My wife and I met at a professional volleyball tournament that I was refereeing at and ever since volleyball has been a big part of our lives. I was fortunate to ref for and get to know some of the biggest names in volleyball.

After seeing the way the mens beach team played, mainly Dalhausser, I am not too confident in them right now. Thats what makes the Olympics so much fun....you never know!!!

The 400 medley was an awesome race. I am not a Phelps fan but would have liked the win for the others and our country.
    Last edited by ArubaRookie; 07-30-2012 at 07:40 AM. Reason: added more info

Another local Olympian is doing very well too. Abby Wambach is sure playing great lately. My wifes beach volleyball partner was Abby's cousin. The athletic talent runs deep in that family. Lochte is back to his medal form too!!! I am addicted to the Olympic coverage....even took off early from work to catch some sports!!!

Its nice to live in an area with great local athletic talent. Henrik Rummel graduated from a town next to me and won the bronze medal in rowing, Abby Wambach is from the same town and her family I am sure is celebrating at the restaurant down the road from me after she just won the gold medal in soccer, Jenn Suhr, the gold medal pole vaulter is from here as was Ryan Lochte before his family moved him to Florida to get coaching there. We are so proud of these athletes!!!

I have been in tears today as Dressage to Music was my sport ,I do get very tearfull watching it, more so as we won the Gold Medal, I have been glued to all of the sports even the Boxing which I do not usually like .I must say for a little country we are doing very and feel very proud thats is all taking place here in the Uk and we have 24/7 coverage .

You guys absolutely did great this year...the Olympics has been a great success!!! Andy Murray beating Federer was a huge highlight of the games, not just in the UK, but here as well. I have spent WAY too much time on the couch watching the games though. I am really glad I didn't accidentally book my trip to Aruba during the Olympics.

ONLY 11 DAYS UNTIL I AM ON AN ARUBAN BEACH!!!!!!!!!!

Aruba since 1979
    will be glad when it is over.
    the late nights are a bear!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    will be glad when it is over.
    the late nights are a bear!
    I agree...I fell asleep on the couch a few times waiting for an event I wanted to see...but I love watching!!!

No Problem

Its No Problem this time in the Uk its all day long and of course all evening, No time difference for us so thats great, last day today and Mo won his second gold , and Bolt did it again world record, relay , must say the american team ran a good race to Also diving gold for America Bronze Uk to tom Daley 18 years old who lost his father this year.I always feel sad when the closeing ceremony starts as its not the end .As its the para olympics next . I do enjoy this part just as much, such strength and determination from the less able bodied . Well perhaps you may all get some sleep now ,and we can all feel proud of each country for all the medals, Just a footnote Aruba has a championship windsurfer (lady) But not taking part also has anyone seen the Team of synchronized swimmers that do the rounds of hotels ,would have thought they may have been good enough , well I think they are good.

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.
    Time to review my predictions... most of them off the mark (predictions in black, real result in red):

Gold (6)
    soccer, men - they ended with silver instead.
    Alison/Emanuel, beach volleyball, men - silver, too bad
    Tiago Camilo, judo - no medal
    Mayra Aguiar, judo - bronze (she was very unlucky: Abigel Joo (HUN) was beating Kayla Harrison until Joo hurt her knee; otherwise Aguiar would have most likely beaten Joo in the semifinal and Gibbons in the final)
    Cesar Cielo, swimming 50m freestyle - bronze
    Scheidt/Prada, sailing Star - bronze

Silver (8)
    soccer, women - no medal, too bad
    Juliana/Larissa, beach volleyball, women - bronze, and we still don't know how they could lose that semifinal...
    Sarah Menezes, judo - gold, woo-hoo!
    Leandro Guilheiro, judo - no medal
    Cesar Cielo, swimming 100m freestyle - no medal
    Arthur Zanetti, gymnastics, rings - gold, woo-hoo!
    Fabiana Murer, pole vault - the most commented "no medal" of Team Brazil.
    Maurren Maggi, long jump - didn't even qualify for the finals

Bronze (6)
    Everton Lopes, boxing - no medal
    volleyball, men - silver, and could have been gold
    basketball, men - no medal
    Rafaela Silva, judo - no medal, disqualified after illegal move
    volleyball, women - gold, woo-hoo!
    Diego Hypolito, gymnastics, floor - no medal

No medals predicted, but seeing them winning something wouldn't surprise me:
    handball, women (I see them in the semifinals, though) - no medal
    Bruno Fratus, swimming, 50m freestyle - no medal, 4th place
    Rafael Silva, judo - bronze!
    Erika Miranda, judo - no medal
    Natalia Falavigna, taekwondo - no medal

These ones claim to have medal chances, but would surprise me if they actually get one:
    track and field, men's 4x100 relay - didn't even go to the finals
    Thiago Pereira, swimming 4x100 medley - a very surprising silver

I didn't see those coming:
    Esquiva Falcao, boxing, silver
    Yamaguchi Falcao, boxing, bronze
    Adriana Araujo, boxing, bronze
    Yane Marques, modern pentathlon, bronze
    Felipe Kitadai, judo, bronze

I predicted 6 gold, 8 silver and 6 bronze.
    Brazil ended with 3 gold, 5 silver and 9 bronze.

I had said that I saw no way our male volleyball team could beat Team USA. In fact, it didn't happen (we lost in the group matches). But I still can't see how Italy beat USA so easily. It was a huge surprise, just like Russia beating Poland.

The gold medal was just 3 points away. Then something happened and no one knows exactly what. Coach Bernardo Rezende put Giba in -- maybe he wanted the old, injury-prone captain to be in court during the gold medal point -- and from then on everything changed, although I'm not sure this explains the loss. What is certain is that the Russian coach changed Muserskiy's position and we couldn't stop him anymore.

People on Facebook and Twitter criticized the team as if they had got last place in the tournament. It's very, very unfair. Yes, we did let the gold slip through our fingers, but come on, three Olympic finals on a row? No male team had ever done that. And we've been on the top for 11 years! Winning and losing finals is part of the game, but only a very good group of coach and players can stay among the best for such a long time. I praise our team for winning silver with these players, many of whom are old and retiring (some will keep playing at club level, others will just quit playing).

Now, the ladies. I told you the team was a mess. We depended on combined results to advance to the quarterfinals! And then we faced Russia, and I was sure we would lose. But somehow the team found the strenght to win, and the crowd started chanting "the champion is back" -- this same chant carried the team all the way to the finals. Maybe the girls wanted so badly to return the 2004 heartbreaking loss (we were 2-1 and winning 24-19 in the 4th set of the semifinals; the Russians saved a lot of match points and won the set and the tie breaker).

I remember telling my wife on Saturday morning that I didn't expect our girls to beat Team USA. And after that slaughter in the 1st set looked like I was right, but then Jaqueline and Dani Lins started playing really, really well, and our defense was amazing! A really beautiful victory over an American team that deserves the highest praise -- remember that we depended on combined results to go to the quarterfinals? China and Korea played first, and I'm sure they fixed their match to end 3-2, with both teams qualifying; then USA would play against Turkey; if the Americans lost, Brazil would be out regardless of our game late that night, but USA put their best players on court and won, allowing us to get 4th place by beating Serbia. This fair play needs praise, especially when we consider the badminton problem.

Now we expect everyone in Rio de Janeiro! Have you ever considered volunteering for the Olympics? That's your chance!

All the best from Brazil

Marcio
    Last edited by MarcioCampos; 08-14-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12