Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory Medical Insurance

Mandatory Medical Insurance

We have a trip to Cuba planned for this fall ( we Canadians can go - LOL) . I just received notice that effective May01 all persons entering Cuba must show documentation showing they have out of country medical coverage (not sure what else is needed at this point).
    I can see this spreading to other countries . Do most Americans have such coverage normally ?

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    I know my medical insurance doesn't cover in Aruba and I have pretty good insurance.

Aruba since 1979
    u should check with www.insuremytrip.com
    when purchasing trip insurance, there is sometimes medical insurance included.

Quote Originally Posted by malbols View Post
    We have a trip to Cuba planned for this fall ( we Canadians can go - LOL) . I just received notice that effective May01 all persons entering Cuba must show documentation showing they have out of country medical coverage (not sure what else is needed at this point).
    I can see this spreading to other countries . Do most Americans have such coverage normally ?
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-15-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malbols View Post
    Do most Americans have such coverage normally ?
    It depends on the coverage you have in the U.S.

My health insurance (which I purchase through my employer) does cover me when I'm out of the country. I do, however, have to pay upfront to the doctor/facility/country I'm in and then submit my medicals bills to my insurance company for reimbursement once I'm back in the U.S.

I had to spend a few hours at the Aruba hospital a few years ago (food poisoning) and my insurance company reimbursed me for everything.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

My husband had to go in the hospital last year in Aruba and our insurance did not cover it. This year we got travel insurance for that reason. We only spent $80+ each, which is nothing compared to the $6,000+ we had to pay last year for the dr. and hospital. I just pray we don't have to use the insurance this year.

pat, I just found out my insurance is not good while in aruba , where did you get your insurance from, do you have a web site ?

Aruba since 1979
    most if not all us based insurances are not good in aruba. (or other places out of country)

in the event of illness, you pay either cash or credit card and then be reimbursed when you get home (minus deductible)

or, go to
    www.insuremytrip.com
    compare some of the travel policies
    most have medical coverage
    but, i think you'd still have out of pocket expenses on island and wait for reimbursement at home

This is a little off topic but not...
    When we were in Aruba, dh would take morning walks and there was a clinic/doctor's office he walked by in Noord and he said it was PACKED with non-Arubans every morning! What's up with that??

Aruba since 1979
    well, maybe the folks at that office were in need of medical care for acute illnesses
    such as swimmer's ear, sun burn, flu or stitches
    OR
    some folks like me use aruba for dental .

DH and i go to an aruban dentist. (jundira yraquisin ras)
    we have dental insurance but it is lousy.
    the deductible is HIGH $2000
    we go to dr. ras for cleanings, exams and procedures.
    we have been very happy with her skill and her pricing.
    approx 40% cheaper than here in new england.

so, those folks with high deductibles or no insurance may choose to go to aruba physicians or dentists to get good care and save money.
    aruba does charge much less than the greed mongers here in the USA.

That makes sense Andrea! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast