Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is it me or are people just less financially responsible lately?

Is it me or are people just less financially responsible lately?

Over the past year or two I've been dealing with people who just don't pay rent or condo fees. Last year(August) we evicted a tenant for non-payment. It took forever to get through the courts and now I am meeting with my lawyer again Friday to try to garnish her wages. I now understand she just got kicked out of where she was living. My lawyer is taking forever too and she is a friend since college. Now the current tenant is behind and he is an employee of a friend. Both of them owe for utilities too. Since we have a municipal electric utility, they will put a lien on the rental house even though the charges are not ours.

I am president of the condo association(28 units) where our shore condo is located. We have an owner who is very far behind(almost 3 years). We did collect some money through legal means-it took 16 months, but now she owes about 3x that. Our lawyer left the firm and the new one has done nothing. We have to interview new ones this coming week. The ditz is almost a year behind on her city taxes. This is the second time she has gotten this far behind. The first time was before hurricane Sandy and the only way the association got money was withholding her insurance. The use the place all the time and don't follow the rules and regulations and want us to protect their condo if there is another hurricane and want us to fix steps and not spray for bugs when they are there, etc. Her brother had place that was foreclosed on before Sandy(I bought after Sandy). She inherited the condo. AND her husband is a COP. They have an regular expensive home. Meanwhile, the other 27 owners of the association are paying for their "shore home".

My friend is going through the same type of stuff with his sister. Sister was supposed to pay rent to her mom and dad because she was renting her house(mom and dad downsized) and was going to buy it. She stopped paying rent, utilities(never changed it out of mom and dad's name). Mom passed away last year(dad isn't well) and my friend is now in the process of evicting his sister, who works in the family business and helps with him with the kids. She is making up stories for the court, but the judge isn't buying it. Both the sister and husband work in the family business and he gets a pension and they are claiming "hardship" even though their combine income is over $100,000. Oh, she can't get a mortgage because of losing a home in foreclosure in the past.

I just don't get why people think it is okay to not pay their bills but go on vacation, out to eat, new cars, electronics, phones and buy lots of stuff. I wasn't raised this way. I was raised you keep a roof over your head, food in your stomach, pay your utilities and affordable clothes on your back before the luxuries of new cars, vacations, dining out, etc. I didn't come from money-my dad was a Holocaust survivor-he came here with nothing. My mom's parents never owned a home or a new car. We lived in a one bedroom house when I was a kid. My mom dies before I was 8 and we didn't move to a 3 bedroom house until I was 12. My dad worked hard and put us through college. My husband's family didn't have much when he was growing up either and was raised pretty much with the same principals. Our parents worked hard and we did too. So I just don't get how people can go through life expecting others to pay their way. We aren't talking about kids in their 20's. We are talking about people in their mid to late 40s and early to mid 50s.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Robin, we watch Judge Judy and are always saying that, "just pay your bills". I wouldn't be able to sleep if I owed money. I use to work in the courts, though we didn't do tenant stuff unless the judge had nothing to do and was bored. It is so difficult to kick people out. Same thing with the bank trying to foreclose on people who don't pay their mortgage. I am not talking about a month. some people don't pay their mortgage for 6 months to a year. Seriously!! This country is full of very "entitled" people who think they don't have to pay and don't care you still have to pay the taxes and utilities. that is why I always said if I bought in Aruba, I would never rent out, just leave my stuff and go whenever.
    Last edited by gaby; 06-14-2018 at 05:40 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    Paul and I owned an apartment bldg.. 4 units

It was way more trouble than it was worth. The headaches of non paying tenants I was the huge factor of why we sold.

IMO the feeling of entitlement and laziness are the reasons that I point to.

Sorry to hear you are having these issues. It has to be tremendously stressful. I do believe there is an awful lot of entitlement in this world. I had a woman who worked for me and she was always getting a car repossessed or fighting with her landlord. It became my business when some of these people started calling me as I was her boss. There would be questions about her work ethic, whether she was in work etc. It’s not a fun spot to be in. In her case, the problem was alcohol related. I don’t think I would ever have the temperment to be a landlord.

It was fairly easy, but expensive to get out the tenant. She owes us close to $8000 in rent, utilities and attorney fees. My friend is in a different situation-his sister owes about $50,000-about 3 years of non-payment, utilities, and attorney fees. The bigger head ache is the owners of the condo. You can't evict an owner. They have not made a payment(about $200 a month) since Sept. 2015. Previous to us owning there, she had gone about 2-3 years without paying. If it wasn't for Superstorm Sandy, I don't know where we'd(the association) would be now with her. She owes the condo association about $8000 in monthly fees and a special assessment, plus late charges and interest and she had racked up between $3000-$4000 in legal fees. It really hurts a small condo association like ours. None of units are big(ours is the 4th largest and is about 1100 sq. feet). At our condo in Aruba, you don't pay, they shut off your water. I wish we could do that here, especially at the shore because it is not their primary residence. Yesterday I was dealing with both issues and picked my friend's kids up from school so he could go to court about his issue.

I'm sorry you are going thru this. You are not alone unfortunately - as you know from your friend, etc.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Bri
    Itís sad to say that people live beyond their means and neglect to keep their priorities in order.
    People donít realize that these debts and defaults will follow them for life. Wreck the credit and make it more difficult for them to live anywhere else. People really take advantage of the legal system to buy time but it hurts everyone in the long run.

So Sorry. Its a matter of pride and entitlement. How can you live with yourself being like that? I watch Judge Judy too and its amazing the excuses people give for not paying rent. " They always list some nonsensical items- like "I told them not to spray for bugs but they did". Meanwhile they live there for months on end without paying! Too much protection for the tenant and not enough for the owners. When you finally get them out the spay usually needs a ton of work-no pride! Good luck, you made me feel better that we are not alone.
    Sean and Susan

I thought about going in the house rental business years ago but horror stories like these kept me away and will continue to keep me away from being a landlord.

So sorry to hear all of this.
    Renters have more rights then the owners.
    Lou rented our house in Cape Cod; Judge side with them; gave them 180 days to get out cause they had kids.
    WTH??
    We have renters on our street and making our property go down cause they are trash ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast