Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Monsanto

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean

Monsanto

Just wondering who has heard of "Monsanto"?

I have not, until recently a friend posted some info on Facebook. What I have read so far, is very disturbing as our food and the food for our pets as well as the entire animal world and our entire environment can be changed globally to the worse by Monsanto and some other corporations. But the media does not really report about it. Which I also find disturbing.

There has been a march the past weekend in about 52 countries to protest against Monsanto. Little or nothing has been reported in the media. Here is some info:

Media Ignores Worldwide March Against Monsanto

By unclaimed | Posted May 26, 2013

May 25th, 2013 thousands of people from across the world took to the streets in a March Against Monsanto. From every US state and Canadian province, to France, South Africa, Australia, Mexico, South Korea and beyond, those who marched carried a simple message; the world does not want GMOs and we do not want Monsanto. In the midst of this old fashioned, peaceful demonstration against oppression, undue and unchecked health hazards imposed without option or avoidance, the mainstream media, including CNN, turned a blind eye to the people of the world. As the public cries out for help against a corporate giant slash agricultural branch of the US government, it is clear the public has been abandoned by those sworn to protect it. The media refuses to expose the truth. The government sells us out to companies who poison and steal from us. Where is the media? Where is the help?

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-9777...feeds%2Flatest

I have no intention to start some political discussion or slamming one political party over the other. But to bring some awareness about "Monsanto".

I would be very interested to hear what your take is on "Monsanto".

Here are the other companies to avoid as well since they too oppose GMO (genetically modified organisms) labeling in California (and presumably elsewhere). Each has contributed a minimum of $150,000 to lobby against proposed legislation requiring the labeling.

Companies to Boycott

Abbott Nutrition
    BASF SE
    Bayer Corporation
    Bimbo Bakeries USA, Inc.
    Bumble Bee Foods, LLC
    Campbell Soup Company
    Cargill, Inc.
    ConAgra Foods, Inc.
    Dean Foods Company
    Del Monte Foods Company
    Dole Packaged Foods
    DuPont
    Flowers Foods, Inc.
    General Mills, Inc.
    H. J. Heinz Company
    Hormel Foods Corporation
    Kellogg Company
    Knouse Foods, Inc
    Kraft Foods Inc.
    Mars, Inc.
    McCormick & Company, Inc.
    Monsanto Company
    Nestlé S.A.
    Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.
    PepsiCo Inc. (source)
    Pinnacle Foods Group LLC
    Rich Products Corporation
    Sara Lee Corporation
    Smithfield Foods Inc.
    Syngenta AG
    The Coca-Cola Company
    The Dow Chemical Company
    The Hershey Company
    The J.M. Smucker Company
    Unilever PLC
    Wrigley Company

Members of congress who own shares of stock in Monsanto
    Camp, Dave (R-MI)
    Hagan, Kay R (D-NC)
    Kennedy, Joe III (D-MA)
    Lowenthal, Alan (D-CA)
    McCaul, Michael (R-TX)
    Renacci, Jim (R-OH)
    Sensenbrenner, F James Jr (R-WI)
    Upton, Fred (R-MI)

Additional reading to educate ourselves

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/gmfood/overview.php
    http://findourcommonground.com/food-facts/gmo-foods/
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...modified_foods
    http://fooducopia.com/blog/2012/09/t...-of-gmo-foods/
    http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol4/iss1/art13/
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 05-29-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Here is a great documentary on Monsanto. It is 109 minutes long but it is an eye opener. The documentary is called, The World According to Monsanto. It can also be found on Netflix or Amazon or it can be viewed on YouTube with the link below.

http://youtu.be/6VEZYQF9WlE

CK1
    Thank you for the info, Arubalisa and Retagger.

CK1
    'Monsanto Protection Act' slips silently through US Congress

Published time: March 26, 2013 01:34

The US House of Representatives quietly passed a last-minute addition to the Agricultural Appropriations Bill for 2013 last week - including a provision protecting genetically modified seeds from litigation in the face of health risks.
    The rider, which is officially known as the Farmer Assurance Provision, has been derided by opponents of biotech lobbying as the “Monsanto Protection Act,” as it would strip federal courts of the authority to immediately halt the planting and sale of genetically modified (GMO) seed crop regardless of any consumer health concerns.

The provision, also decried as a “biotech rider,” should have gone through the Agricultural or Judiciary Committees for review. Instead, no hearings were held, and the piece was evidently unknown to most Democrats (who hold the majority in the Senate) prior to its approval as part of HR 993, the short-term funding bill that was approved to avoid a federal government shutdown.

Senator John Tester (D-MT) proved to be the lone dissenter to the so-called Monsanto Protection Act, though his proposed amendment to strip the rider from the bill was never put to a vote.

As the US legal system functions today, and largely as a result of prior lawsuits, the USDA is required to complete environmental impact statements (EIS) prior to both the planting and sale of GMO crops. The extent and effectiveness to which the USDA exercises this rule is in itself a source of serious dispute.

The reviews have been the focus of heated debate between food safety advocacy groups and the biotech industry in the past. In December of 2009, for example, Food Democracy Now collected signatures during the EIS commenting period in a bid to prevent the approval of Monsanto’s GMO alfalfa, which many feared would contaminate organic feed used by dairy farmers; it was approved regardless.

Previously discovered pathogens in Monsanto’s Roundup Ready corn and soy are suspected of causing infertility in livestock and to impact the health of plants.

So, just how much of a victory is this for biotech companies like Monsanto? Critics are thus far alarmed by the very way in which the provision made it through Congress -- the rider was introduced anonymously as the larger bill progressed through the Senate Appropriations Committee. Now, groups like the Center for Food Safety are holding Senator Mikulski (D-MD), chairman of that committee, to task and lobbing accusations of a “backroom deal” with the biotech industry.

As the Washington Times points out, the provision’s success is viewed by many as a victory by companies like Syngenta Corp, Cargill, Monsanto and affiliated PACs that have donated $7.5 million to members of Congress since 2009, and $372,000 to members of the Senate Appropriations Committee.
    It remains unclear whether the bill’s six-month expiration means that the provision will be short-lived. Regardless, Food Democracy Now has begun a campaign calling on US President Barack Obama to veto the Continuing Resolution spending bill, which seems unlikely as HR 933 includes a sweeping amount of government funding.

http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-congress-silently-slips-830/

CK1
    I can barely believe how the "Monsanto Protection Act" could pass Congress as now Monsanto is protected, not "we, the people":

“Monsanto Protection Act,” as it would strip federal courts of the authority to immediately halt the planting and sale of genetically modified (GMO) seed crop regardless of any consumer health concerns.

There was a Petition on the Whitehouse website to remove the "Monsanto Protection Act":

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...r-933/T8QYzYZg

Remove Section 735, aka the Monsanto Protection Act, from HR 933 | We the People: Your Voice in Our.
    petitions.whitehouse.gov
    This provision is a ploy to continue to sell genetically engineered (GMO) seeds even after a court of law has found they have been

But the Petition was removed after only a few weeks, mid or end April 2013, I cannot remember the exact deadline. A bit over 10,000 people had voted, the required votes were 100,000.

There is also another really good documentary called, "David vs. Monsanto". It is about what Monsanto is doing to our farmers. They are suing small farmers due to patent infringement. What a shame.

here is a link to the entire documentary

http://rclvideolibrary.com/2012/11/08/david-versus-monsanto/

CK1
    Wikipedia provides also lots of info about "Monsanto".

One excerpt caught immediately my attention and the "Monsanto Protection Act" comes to mind as Monsanto would NOT be held accountable is something similar would happen here in the US:

United Kingdom

A UK government report showed that 67 chemicals, including Agent Orange derivatives, dioxins and PCBs exclusively made by Monsanto, are leaking from the Brofiscin quarry, near Groesfaen in Wales, an unlined porous quarry that was not authorized to take chemical wastes. It emerged that the groundwater had been polluted since the 1970s.[101][102] The government was criticised for failing to publish information about the scale and exact nature of this contamination. The UK Environment Agency estimated that it would cost £100m to clean up the site, called "one of the most contaminated" in the UK.[103]

Much more info at link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto

CK1
    I also made a Google search "Monsanto Wikileaks". The info I found there is really disturbing. It shows how powerful Monsanto is and that it has a huge influence on governments around the world by either lobbying or threatening.

CK1
    March Against Monsanto

Excerpt:

Canal first promoted the concept via Facebook on Feb 23rd, 2013.[9] The group posted a message on their Facebook page that read:
    For too long, Monsanto has been the benefactor of corporate subsidies and political favoritism...Organic and small farmers suffer losses while Monsanto continues to forge its monopoly over the world’s food supply, including exclusive patenting rights over seeds and genetic makeup.[4]

Currently in the US most corn, soybean and cotton are genetically modified crops. Critics say GMOs can lead to serious health problems and cause harm to the environment. Though the US government and many scientists say the technology is safe, health advocates have recently been pushing for mandatory GMO labeling.[13]
    MAM demonstrators waved signs that read Real Food 4 Real People and Label GMOs, It’s Our Right to Know, and urged supporters to buy only organic products and to boycott Monsanto-owned companies. The Los Angeles MAM organizer explained, "We’re marching to raise awareness. This is not just a ‘boo Monsanto’ protest. We want more people to know so they can make their own decisions."[14]
    Protesters also took issue with the amount of influence Monsanto has in Washington, claiming the company has gone "too far".[15] Former Monsanto employees hold top positions in the US food safety agencies FDA and the USDA, leading to claims that the "fox is guarding the hen house". Although 90% of Americans favor GMO labeling, attempts to require labeling have been unsuccessful.[16]

Two days before the group held their protest, the U.S. Senate rejected an amendment that would allow states to require labeling of genetically modified foods.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_Against_Monsanto

And here is their Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/MarchAgains...34129273445603

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast