Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Monsanto

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    I can barely believe how the "Monsanto Protection Act" could pass Congress as now Monsanto is protected, not "we, the people":
    I cannot believe most of the antics of our Congress and President.

Abraham Lincoln is turning over in his tomb. There no longer is such a thing as "by the people for the people".

Our government now consists of a bunch of bureaucrats who are fat cats surviving very well off of the proceeds of special interests.

More to ponder if you are worried about our food supplies...

China’s Shuanghui buying Smithfield Foods for $4.72B; deal subject to federal review

Smithfield Foods to be bought by Chinese firm Shuanghui International"... the deal puts a major company from a Chinese industry with a history of food-safety problems in charge of a U.S. firm with past environmental problems of its own. ..."

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    EU to check US wheat for GM contamination

May 30, 2013

The European Commission said Thursday it has asked EU member states to check imports of wheat from the United States which may be tainted with a genetically modified strain made by US agrochemicals giant Monsanto.

The Commission, the European Union's executive arm, said it had informed the 27 member states of the problem, "recommending (they) test the consignment of soft white wheat" in question.

"In case of a positive confirmed result, the consignment shall not be placed on the market," it said in a statement.

Soft white wheat accounts for about 80 percent of US wheat imported annually by the EU, with most of it going to Spain.

The Commission noted that there "are no GM wheat varieties approved for sale or in commercial production in the United States or elsewhere at this time."

It had contacted the US Department of Agriculture to ask to be kept informed and had also got in touch with Monsanto, it said.

"The Commission is following carefully the presence of this non-authorised GM wheat in Oregon in order to ensure that European consumers are protected ... and to make sure that the EU zero tolerance for such GM events is implemented."
    The EU currently allows only two GM products to be grown in the bloc -- Monsanto's MON 810 maize and German conglomerate BASF's Amflora potato.

Renewal of the maize licence is currently on hold due to hostility or reticence by a string of EU states.

Brussels cleared MON 810 in 1998 for 10 years and Monsanto submitted a request in 2007 for it to be extended but the process has been effectively frozen.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/eu-check-us...9.html#Fvu0uRe

In 1998 already? It seems Monsanto is bringing genetically engineered food since decades on the market.

wow...I do not even know how to react to this....I actually did see a piece on one of the news channels about people protesting GMO. It was not a long article and so I did not pay much attention, but I do remember the piece said that GMO foods should be kept off the market as well as seed that has been genetically altered.

Funny that we are finding that so much of the preservatives, additives and coloring we eat in our foods are being linked to ........ADHD, cancer, etc....why would the gov't let this continue and then let monsanto run amuck as well ????

We should get a letter written to electronically sign and send to our congressmen telling them we are outraged they would let this thing go on.......
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    wow...I do not even know how to react to this....I actually did see a piece on one of the news channels about people protesting GMO. It was not a long article and so I did not pay much attention, but I do remember the piece said that GMO foods should be kept off the market as well as seed that has been genetically altered.

Funny that we are finding that so much of the preservatives, additives and coloring we eat in our foods are being linked to ........ADHD, cancer, etc....why would the gov't let this continue and then let monsanto run amuck as well ????

We should get a letter written to electronically sign and send to our congressmen telling them we are outraged they would let this thing go on.......
    Just about two months ago, I did not know about Monsanto either. But then, a friend posted some info about it on her Facebook. We had just lost AGAIN on of our beloved dogs, AGAIN to cancer! I checked out the info on FB. It sounded very disturbing, unbelievable! I was hoping it was maybe just some sort of "conspiracy". Then I checked out a reputable newspaper "Stuttgarter Nachrichten" in Germany and found out, Monsanto is there a huge problem as well, actually all over Europe. There was an article where some scientists of the University in Hohenheim were very critical about genetically engineered (GE or GMO) food. I saw a picture of rats which had been fed GE altered crops. Those rats had HUGE tumors on their bodies!!! That did it for me.

Btw, I can not find this picture anymore. I believe, it had to be removed on the request of Monsanto.

I had also read (cannot remember where) that GE/GMO food might cause cancer, tumors, dementia, Alzheimer, loss of auto immune system etc. I don't know if it's true. But I'm very skeptical.

I made a google search on how Monsanto effects dog food and yes, there is a connection. Dog food does not even have to be approved that GE/GMO ingredients can be used. We thought we bought a good quality dog food at PetsMart. But in the meantime, we order some Premium dog food from Canada. Not sure if it will be any better but we try. Our dogs are our babies.

That's how I got started doing some reading and research on Monsanto. The more I read, the more disturbing it gets.

But there is some hope: Monsanto is giving up the lobbying in Europe. Too much protesting. Hopefully, we can achieve the same here in the USA. Unfortunately, not many people know about Monsanto. I had talked to three of our veterinarians, none of them actually know that Monsanto is altering "genetically engineering" our food. Most people only connect it with "Round up" or "Agent Orange". I also talked to several doctors, at the VA as well, same thing, never heard of Monsanto/GE/GMO. Same at HEB: the manager of produce did not know what GE/GMO means. Only a kid who filled the shelves know about Monsanto in regards of GE/GMO! Isn't that something! And my neighbor know about it. So, from all the people I talked to, only a few knew about it. I'm still amazed and angry that the media keeps it so quiet.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post

Usually, that's a grat idea. But here is the problem with Monsanto:

Here is a graphic which shows how many Federal Government employees work with Monsanto!

http://c1redgreenandblueorg.wpengine...lving-door.jpg
    Monsanto employees in the halls of government (part 2)

How bad is the revolving door between Monsanto and government? This handy chart (from geke.us) pretty much sums it up.
    Monsanto has been particularly talented at vacuuming up well connected ex-Congressmen, Senators and other government officials to go back and lobby the government, using their connections for the company’s benefit. And it also has been great at placing its own people into the agencies that are supposed to be regulating it.
    One of the worst examples isn’t even on the chart - Michael R Taylor:

• Taylor started off as a partner at the law firm that represented Monsanto on GBH issues (artificial growth hormones that make cows give more milk).
    • Then, as the FDA’s deputy commissioner for policy, he wrote the FDA’s rBGH labelling guidelines – the ones that insisted there was no difference between rGBH and regular milk.
    • He also deleted references to problems with GMO foods, over the objection of staff scientists.
    • Then he spent a few years working directly for Monsanto.
    • And now? Barak Obama brought him back to the FDA to oversee Monsanto again, as his food safety issues czar!

More background: See our earlier story, Monsanto employees in the halls of government.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2012/02/0...rnment-part-2/

CK1
    There is a Facebook site which has a lot of info and updates on Monsanto. It's called:

Stop Monsanto

https://www.facebook.com/jthrogm?ref=ts&fref=ts

CK1
    NY Assembly Committee to vote on GMO Labeling Bill Monday June 3rd – Call Now!

Posted on June 1, 2013 by tinako
    We have received word that GMO labeling bill A3525 will be voted on by the Assembly Committee on Consumer Affairs and Protection on Monday, June 3rd! I know it’s Friday night but PLEASE CALL AND LEAVE A VOICEMAIL for the 10 members of the committee who have not yet co-sponsored the bill and ask them to cosponsor and support it. I did this and it took only 10 minutes.
    Assemblymember Abbate: 518-455-3053
    Assemblymember Buchwald: 518-455-5397
    Assemblymember Camara: 518-455-5262
    Assemblymember Gabryszak: 518-455-5921
    Assemblymember Hennessey: 518-455-4901
    Assemblymember McKevitt: 518-455-5341
    Assemblymember Nojay: 518-455-5662
    Assemblymember Quart: 518-455-4794
    Assemblymember Simanowitz: 518-455-4404
    Assemblymember Skoufis: 518-455-5441
    PLEASE SHARE EVERYWHERE ASAP!!

http://gmofreerochester.wordpress.co...-3rd-call-now/

A three-day-notice to react? Most people probably don't know about it. And the Government as well as Monsanto have a good excuse to say, people had a chance to vote on labeling GE/GMO but didn't vote. Just like with the Petition to remove the "Monsanto Protection Act", the petition was only a short time available (two or three weeks?), then was removed as the 100,000 required votes could not be reached.

geez.....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

CK1
    Petitioning The Kellogg Company

Kellogg: Remove GMOs from your products!

http://www.change.org/petitions/kell...products#share

I have just been reading in this old article of "Aruba Esso News" that back then, in 1960, that Aruba was the first price in a Kellogg's contest nationwide in the US. Kellogg's was very generous, IMO, the vacation was for two weeks, the winner could bring five family members and everything was paid for. Very nice of them. Here is the article:
    http://ufdc.ufl.edu/CA03400001/00553/7j

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast