Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: New novel that is partly set in Aruba

Aruba since 1979
    paul is a ww2 fanatic
    what are the titles and are they on amazon?
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    book #3. The first 2 are more historical stories of actual WWII events that happened in Aruba

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    paul is a ww2 fanatic
    what are the titles and are they on amazon?
    No unfortunately. The books are/were available at ANTRACO here in Aruba. Here is info on the books for PAUL. The first is entitled E.S. Antilla. The book details the scuttling of the German Freighter, the Antilla, at Malmok at the beginning of WWII During writing the book access to the Dutch Naval Archives was granted. The book contains an exact translation on the hearings into how the Dutch Marines bungled the capture of the ship. In addition there is a chronological listing of all the actions taken by different parties to attempt salvage etc.

The second book book is entitled " The Torpedo incident at Eagle Beach". This book chronicles the events that occurred after the German U-Boat, U156, fired 2 torpedoes in an attempt to sink oil tankers at the then refinery at Eagle Beach. One torpedo came up onto the beach and the other has never been found. About a year ago the Dutch Marines asked some of the dive companies here not to operate at certain locations as it was assumed the torpedo could have been carried by the currents to certain of the dive sites. They dispatched over 50 divers that summer to look for that torpedo....still not found

The torpedo that came up onto the beach was identified as a type that was new and never seen previousl. Given this, Dutch Marines from Curaçao who were experts were flown to Aruba to examine it. Due to some unfortunate errors the torpedo exploded, killing several of the Marines. It was only in the past few years that their remains were returned to Holland.

The main research for these books was undertaken by a local historian, Adolf Kock. His name is published as author.

A little history. Also, Paul maybe interested in a DVD sponsored by ArubaBank that is all about the Antilla. It has great underwater scenes of the sunken ship.

I just finished reading John's novel, even stayed up late to finish it. Journey of Betrayals is an interesting read, giving hours of reading pleasure. I found myself feeling like I was reading about real life events. There is even one character I found myself genuinely disliking! I heard a rumor he is working on another book, maybe he'll give us all a sneak peak!

So has anyone else had a chance to read it? What are your thoughts?

Thanks Peg. I can think of several questionable characters. Who did you dislike? One reader commented to me that they disliked the lead character.

I really ended up disliking Jacob. He was just so selfish!

Just curious, has anyone else had a chance to read John's book?

An update. The novel is available in print from Amazon.com. I had a number of inquiries asking to let folks know when the book would be available. It's on Amazon now

Take a sample read at

https://journeyofbetrayals.wordpress.com/blog

John
    Last edited by aquaman; 02-08-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: correction

Just placed it on my wish list. Will order it near the end of the month, thankfully that will be a long weekend due to Carnival so I should have more than enough time to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    Just placed it on my wish list. Will order it near the end of the month, thankfully that will be a long weekend due to Carnival so I should have more than enough time to read it.
    Thank you Vallond. Though it's close to 500 pages you will find it an easy read. Will be most interested in your feedback

john

A new book with Aruba ties.... by one of our own. (Members, that is)

I've been working on a book cover for a friend in Aruba for a few weeks,
    and I just found out it's finally available...

Pretty cool seeing your "creation" out there for the world to see...

All you Aruba folks, you might be interested in this, the story involves our beloved home away from home....

Some of you will be familiar with the author already, he's an aquaman....

https://www.amazon.com/Journey-Betrayals-John-Gray-ebook/dp/B01MS5DHSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1486662930&sr=1-1&keywords=Journey+of+Betrayals#customerReviews

New novel that is partly set in Aruba-ks_banner.jpg
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast