I live about 10 minutes from the Pentagon and everytime I drive by I get chills. September 11th is a day of reflection for me. At the time I had a couple that I spent a lot of time with and were very good friends. The husband worked as a contractor in the Pentagon and the wife and I worked very close to each other. Let me first say, my friend is alive and well and was not physically injured that day - thank you Lord!! On the morning of the 9/11 attacks, phone service in the DC area was jammed and you couldn't get through. Traffic was a nightmare getting out of the city. It was scary. I immediately went to the wife's office to wait with her. It was the longest 2 hours of our lives. At the moment the world was changing we were desparately trying to contact her husband, one of my closest friends. For 2 hours, we didn't know anything. Finally her husband got to a land line and let us know he was safe. He did lose a friend and co-worker on that day. Over the years we have drifted apart and they are no longer married, but we have that bond and we are so thankful that we are the lucky ones who's loved one came home that day.
Since this time I have had relatives and friends in the military. I am so thankful for their sacrifices.
I think one thing that needs to be addressed when we remember 9/11 victims are the silent issues that don't often get talked about. PTSD affects victims and many members of our military. It often goes undiagnosed and/or untreated. If you know someone who has been in a situation, reach out to them and look for signs of PTSD and do what you can to try to get them help.