Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUR DOG TALES or HORSE or CAT TALES

Aruba since 1979

OUR DOG TALES or HORSE or CAT TALES

here folks have at it!
    any animal will do!

i am particularly interested in hearing of you folks that do rescue work.

our member NIKKO is involved in horse rescue.
    SUGAR, CHERYL, BillStella are involved in dog and cat rescue.
    Chadd is involved in the transportation end of the dog rescue.
    Arubalisa is involved with cat rescue.

Let's hear your story.

Does not have to be aruba related.

Eddie, the long hair, is combed everyday.
    Yesterday he proclaimed he was a Rastafarian.
    I turned around and he had a dredlock between his chin and chest about 3" long. Fortunately we were able to comb it out This photo was taken in the fall

Then of course, there is my attempted bear rescue outside our backdoor. NOT

Aruba since 1979
    eddie and the bear look like relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    eddie and the bear look like relatives.
    Yeah, they lived in the same 'hood at one point.

My wife volunteers at a local no-kill shelter and all of our current pets have come from one shelter or another. That reminds me, I'll be heading down this week if anyone needs to send an animal to the Eastern US, let me know.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    My husband and I started rescuing dogs twelve years ago, mainly Akitas and German Shepherds but there were also a few mix breeds among them who happened to find their way to us. And a dozen of cats as well. We also watch out for the poor horses in our neighborhood as those people do not care for them.

Over the time, we rescued 25 Akitas, seven of them were puppies, the rest adult dogs. And there even more German Shepherds. As time went on, our own family of fur kids grew (we have now nine dogs who will stay here permanently) as there were sometimes dogs who were not adoptable for one or the other reason, for instance, our very beautiful German Shepherd Jada, she got adopted out to a family who lived in a million-dollar home but they did not want to keep Jada as one of her hips was very bad, possibly shattered as her previous owner let her roam the street when she was a puppy and she got probably hit by a car. Nevertheless, Jada is one of our most energetic and fast dogs, smart, sweet and we decided to keep her as no one would adopt her with that hip. We have her now many years and she is very happy here.

The "Waterdog Kuma" is an Akita we squeezed in here, he is young and beautiful but he is a typical Akita who does not get along easily with other dogs or cats and he would be too big and strong around little kids. We are trying to find him his loving forever home. He made us laugh so much when he unexpectedly climbed into his water bowl! LOL As most of Aktias do not like water and do not want to get their feet wet. We provided him with a larger water cooler but he does not touch it. He would not drink from it and would not climb in it. We also have water buckets in our yard for the dogs to drink from. And yes, you guessed it: Kuma likes those! First with his front feet, then with his back feet and it's amazing that this big dog keeps his balance to stand with all four feet in the water bucket! LOL He is quite a clown!

Here are some videos of Kuma and some of our other dogs can be seen there as well:

Kuma in the water bowl
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5GvAENEgY

Kuma, Jada and Roger
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evnApGgVW2g

Kuma Frapping
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXeMRdSPu-4

CK1
    Here is Jada and Frankie, one of our other rescue dogs. Frankie was an Akita/Husky mix, a very sweet boy. We got him neutered, updated on all his shots, got him on Heartworm preventative and found him a great home:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OUR DOG TALES or HORSE or CAT TALES-jada00b.jpg   OUR DOG TALES or HORSE or CAT TALES-jada04.jpg  

CK1
    And here are some pictures of our first rescue Akita "Kuma" who is no longer with us. He was turned into the shelter to be put to sleep when he was only one year old, he had already lived with three different families. When we got him, we decided to keep him. We took him through obedience classes together with our little German Shepherd girl "Chica". Surprisingly, those two got along very well from the beginning. Chica was only seven months old back then.

And as you can see in the third picture, those dogs have a rough life here with us!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OUR DOG TALES or HORSE or CAT TALES-kuma-plus-2b-222.jpg   OUR DOG TALES or HORSE or CAT TALES-kuma-chica1030.jpg   OUR DOG TALES or HORSE or CAT TALES-chica1010.jpg  

Aruba since 1979
    in photo 1 i see TEETH :-) many teeth.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    in photo 1 i see TEETH :-) many teeth.
    Yup! I call them "shark teeth"! LOL

This was a rare photo. We tried to integrate Blitz with Kuma and Chica. But Blitz and Kuma would soon not get along with each other and they were rather trying to sink those teeth into each other!

We kept both dogs as Kuma was my husband's darling. My husband actually likes all dogs, well, all animals but Kuma touched his heart in a very special way. Blitz was always very difficult. We got him when he was about two years old. He is terrified of thunder and lightening ~ how bizarre as "Blitz" is the word for "Lightening". We call Blitz also the "Psycho" dog as he had his "moments". But we knew how to handle him and we were always careful with someone coming to our home. And I always put a muzzle on him when taking him to the vet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OUR DOG TALES or HORSE or CAT TALES-blitz008.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast