Aruba Beach

Thread: Pilots buying liquor

Pilots buying liquor

While sitting in the airport in Aruba yesterday, we saw a pilot in the duty free shop outside gate 5 buying 4 bottles of liquor. Turns out he was the pilot on our flight! What do you think??? Should pilots be allowed to buy liquor while in uniform?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    I would probably be a little unnerved if I saw that he was my pilot...But then again, the plane hadn't taken off yet so he hadn't started work. (technically he couldn't have it in the cockpit) So, I guess my reaction is he had every right to buy it and bring it home like you or I.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    I would probably be a little unnerved if I saw that he was my pilot...But then again, the plane hadn't taken off yet so he hadn't started work. (technically he couldn't have it in the cockpit) So, I guess my reaction is he had every right to buy it and bring it home like you or I.

Hi Cindy hows everyone tell Rob O I said hello.

Aruba since 1979
    i do not think anything of it.
    now, if he were imbibing in the cockpit, that would bother me
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    While sitting in the airport in Aruba yesterday, we saw a pilot in the duty free shop outside gate 5 buying 4 bottles of liquor. Turns out he was the pilot on our flight! What do you think??? Should pilots be allowed to buy liquor while in uniform?

Senior Member cyclone promotions's Avatar
    was he drinking it at the moment no so he was just buying it i think that is no problem
    Professional Island DJ's
    For All Your Weddings And Party Needs.
    We Create Your Party
    DJ TINO
    https://www.weddingwire.com/biz/dj-t...472c213ea.html

I would rather see him buying it than drinking it.

FAA regs say eight hours must pass between bottle to throttle. That refers to consumption. Purchasing is another matter. So long as it remains unopened, I see no problem.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Our company policy is that it should be placed in a bag quickly, drawing as little attention as possible. It's not like they have an opportunity to purchase duty free while out of uniform, prohibiting them from purchasing it seems a bit excessive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Once you're at the airport and you "check in" you are at work. The only regulation is against consuming alcohol, with most airlines having more stringent rules than the FAA.

so long as he wasn't drinking I see no problems either.....of course I do see how finding out he's your pilot could make someone nervous....
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME