Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: PINK SLIME in MEAT

Aruba since 1979

PINK SLIME in MEAT

(for those in the northeast, Hannaford is also NON USER of Pink Slime.)

The Documentary, "Food Inc." includes a tour of the Midwest processor that makes pink slime. It showed how the waste trimmings from the slaughterhouse are ground, cooked and then sprayed with ammonia to kill bacteria. It's then packaged, frozen and shipped to grocery stores and meat packers

Publix, Sweetbay and The Fresh Market told us they do not use this additive in their beef. ABC Action News has not yet heard back from Winn Dixie, Target or Walmart

Read more: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/new...#ixzz1oehcqIR1

Some of this pink slime is going to our kids' lunch menu:

Although many fast-food chains, including McDonald's, have said they are pulling the infamous "pink slime" from their hamburgers, school districts across the country are still serving it to kids. McDonald's and other fast-food chains had been using scrape and waste -- muscle and connective tissue normally used in dog food, in their hamburgers.
    http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...nt-lunch-menus

Last fall, I saw an article about how some butchers put scraps of meat together with a binder, and sell it as whole cuts of meat (roasts, steaks, etc). On top of being deceptive, it's also dangerous, as many people will eat whole cuts cooked at temperatures that don't kill off bacteria, thinking the inside of the meat had never been exposed to bacteria, unlike ground beef.

Just before I read that article, my husband and I had eaten (strike that...thrown away) a roast from Walmart. I had bought a quality roast at our local family owned grocer to take to our cabin. On our way up, I realized I had forgotten in the fridge, but had brought all the trimmings (plus, it was supposed to be our dinner the next day). It was late, and the only store opened in the town we were passing was a Walmart. I'd never bought meat there, and figured it couldn't be too bad. First, it had a weird tint (more pinkish than reddish...remisent of the pink slime). It seemed to cook okay, but when we started to eat it, not only did it have an odd texture (it's hard to describe, but it was kind of soft), it tasted off. It was well within its sell by date, and didn't smell rotten. It smelled funny though. We threw it out and took it as a lesson learned.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Aruba since 1979
    disgusting isn't it
    gag yuk

Well, Andrea, it looks like you opened a whole can of worms, so to speak...lol

'Pink slime' is good for America's schoolchildren, manufacturers claim

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...#ixzz1oxLHS0wU
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Aruba since 1979
    jimminy yuks!

number of yrs ago i had a knock down drag out w/ my son's preschool teacher.
    my kid age 4 at the time (he is now 26) was sent to "time out" for not eating his lunch.
    (lunch prepped at the nursery school)
    i got there at 1 pm, he in tears and in time out for 45 minutes.
    teacher told me he would not eat his lunch............"a hot dog"
    i asked kevin "why did u not eat it?"
    he said, "they have no ketchup and i don't like it without ketchup"

so, (silly me) i said to the teacher "why did you not allow ketchup?"
    her reply "ketchup is JUNK"
    i went ballistic.
    they served hot dogs.........and that is not junk?!?!?!

and re: pink slime
    paul and i are cutting down on red meat.
    since we are on weight watcher and trying to eat lots of fish we figure red meat and or pink slime will be limited to 2x a month.

This is just disgusting! I'm not a big red meat eater, and I never cook it at home. I've swapped ground turkey for ground beef.

I saw a pic of the slime, as it was with a news article on this subject. I'm gagging just thinking about it!

Moomba Beach, Eagle Beach - just about anywhere I can wiggle my toes in the sand and enjoy an ice cold Bright
    I am so happy that I haven't read or seen any of those reports or I would never eat red meat again. That is one of the most disgusting things I have heard of even if second hand. I gues I am going to have to start asking if my meat contains pink slime.

Andera As the Moderator I would Think that all decusions on trhis board should be about Aruba. Not Pink Slime would you not agree.

Aruba since 1979
    in this off topic section we can speak of what we want.
    as long as we are civil, respectful etc. (see the forum rules at left menu)
    "off topic"
    from the category description"Off Topic Meet friends, talk about your kids, ... - just anything not related to Aruba"

thanks bhut
    Quote Originally Posted by bhut View Post
    Andera As the Moderator I would Think that all decusions on trhis board should be about Aruba. Not Pink Slime would you not agree.

Aruba since 1979
    For all

If you are not interested in "other chatter......(off topic), feel free to stay in the About Aruba categories such as Welcome, General, Airlines, Getting Around, Family Vacations etc.

We keep off topic all by itself here , so that it does not clutter the Aruba related topics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast