Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: PINK SLIME in MEAT

Unscrupulous food producers will do almost anything to make a buck. Quality red meat eaten in moderation shouldn't be an issue for most of us. You do have to use sense in where you buy it and not hesitate to ask if pink slime is used in their foods. The same goes for restaurants. Low cost restaurants could be buying slimed meats from distributors and serving it to you with or without their knowledge.

I think it's totally inappropriate this stuff is used on our foods without our being told it's there.

We've never been big red meat eaters, but we're also trying to cut it down to just a few times/month. I was going to fix tilapia the other day, and my 19 yr old son told me it was not that healthy either. Darn it. I looked it up, and I read it has the same amount of bad fat as 80% lean ground beef. yikes. I don't even buy that. I buy 93% or 97%. But, as with everything with nutrition/food, it's debatable. Some reports say bad, and others say, not so bad.

We are able to substitute venison quite often for beef. At least we know what's in it (no hormones, pink slime, or other additives) and how it was handled, as we generally process our own. But, nothing compares to a great steak, cooked by someone else .
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Here's an update the the "pink slime" controversy. It sounds like many of the major grocery chains are listening, although I was surprised so many carried the product:

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/...dus/53710638/1
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Dh's school district sent out a clarification today that their supplier has never used this type of meat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12