Aruba Beach

Thread: remember the Hornby Eagle nest?

Aruba since 1979

remember the Hornby Eagle nest?

the poor eaglet has died.
    he was about 12 wks old

my husband has been watching this eagle now since late april when the link was first posted here.
    the eaglet was huge, thriving etc....
    now he is dead.
    so sad.
    :-(

wow!! my daughter and I followed that for quite a while!! I'm so sorry to hear that.

I noticed the other day that the Mom had stopped feeding the chick. I figured she was trying to encourage it to fly by itself. Guess she knew it was ill. Hope they turn the camera off soon. I wouldn't want to see what happens to the body now......
    I may have to grow older, but I DON'T have to grow up!

[IMG]http://FIRST Aruba trip in Next Aruba trip in [/IMG]

Oh how sad! I had watched it, but in the last two weeks I couldn't get the camera to work. Oh since I watched it since it hatched--I feel like I lost a part of the family. So sad. I wonder what happened!?
    Thanks Andrea for posting this.
    Pat

Oh no!! I started having problems accessing the web cam image from my computer, and I just assumed they'd taken it off the air. I'm so sad to hear this, but thank you so much for the update.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

Oh no! I've been checking it every day since I learned about it here. I noticed yesterday that the mom had a fish and the eaglet was aggressive about getting some. The mom finally took off. Today it looks like he's been in the same spot. Now I know why!! Bummer!

I'm looking at the webcam now, and the person that has the cameras just climbed up. He removed the eaglet.

UPDATE: I found a forum discussing the nest. The eaglet apparently was sick for about a week. It was not the camera operator that took him out of the nest. They had to get an experienced tree climber and a permit before they could retrieve the little guy. They are doing a necropsy to find out what he died from.
    Last edited by purpleangel; 07-16-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Darlene

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    That is so sad! I was watching the little one quite a lot. The Donkey Sanctuary has suffered a few losses lately as well. You can follow the DS on Facebook.

I'm sure that this is quite common in nature...only the strongest survive. Now that technology has brought us, in this case, right into the nest we get to see it up close.